What's new

India to soon acquire US transport planes

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India to soon acquire US transport planes

NEW DELHI: India is close to concluding a contract with the US for acquiring six C-130J Super Hercules transport planes, the first deal between the two countries for military aircraft, defence sources said.

A "request for details" for the deal was submitted to the US embassy here last month, and this was forwarded to the Pentagon so that the deal could be notified to the US Congress, the sources said here.

The deal, once approved by the US Congress and New Delhi, will be a one-off contract between the governments of the two countries under Washington's Foreign Military Sales programme.

There will also be an option for six additional Hercules aircraft manufactured by aviation major Lockheed Martin, the sources said. The sale is expected to be finalised in the next few months, they said.

The Super Hercules aircraft, which can carry a payload of 20 tonnes, are likely to be used for operations by Special Forces and strategic airlifts, the sources said.

The Indian Air Force is currently upgrading its fleet of about 80 Russian-made An-32 medium-lift cargo planes as well as 25-30 Il-76 heavy-lift jets, and officials have said there is a need for an aircraft like the Hercules which could fit somewhere between the two others.

The Hercules' ability to make short take-offs and landings from rough runways makes it suitable for operations involving Special Forces as well as emergency missions in areas affected by natural disasters, sources said.

Lockheed Martin is also in the race to sell India 126 multi-role combat jets and has offered the P-3C Orion reconnaissance aircraft to the Indian Navy.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_to_soon_acquire_US_transport_planes/articleshow/1358100.cms

Good move......without a doubt its the world's best tactical transport aircraft.

Having operated the type for over 40 years, PAF loves the aircraft and I do not think there is any other Airforce which would disagree about the versatility and reliability of the type.

Good move......without a doubt its the world's best tactical transport aircraft.

Having operated the type for over 40 years, PAF loves the aircraft and I do not think there is any other Airforce which would disagree about the versatility and reliability of the type.

It is indeed an xcellent aircraft, though i think the MRTA would give it a run for its money at 1/3rd the cost.

Though im a bit confused. I dont think PAF operates the C-130'J' version. The J version is almost an entirely new aircraft. It is different from the preceeding versions. Im not sure, could you plz confirm that mate, whether PAF operates C-130 J.

this 6 are for special forces use only.token purchase to please yankees.
i'm feeling so sure MRCA aint gonna go to US.

this 6 are for special forces use only.token purchase to please yankees.
Its not just to please yankees, it was a long time requirement of the special forces. Its a fab plane.

i'm feeling so sure MRCA aint gonna go to US.
LOL.
We already know its gonna be the MiG 35, letc whether there's a split or not.

It is indeed an xcellent aircraft, though i think the MRTA would give it a run for its money at 1/3rd the cost.

Though im a bit confused. I dont think PAF operates the C-130'J' version. The J version is almost an entirely new aircraft. It is different from the preceeding versions. Im not sure, could you plz confirm that mate, whether PAF operates C-130 J.

Its essentially a re-worked aircraft simply because the avionics and the propellers are more up to date. Its the only C-130 in production now. My comment was simply about the reliability of the C-130 platform. All of Pakistani C-130s having been bought prior to the J production model are older. However all of the PAF C-130s are being modernized with fully glassed cockpits. Rockwell Collins has undertaken the work for the PAF C-130 upgrade.

C-130 International
Rockwell Collins provides total avionics systems solutions for several international C-130 upgrade programs. As part of our integrated offering, we directly supply the flight management systems, displays, autopilot, weather radar, Traffic Alert Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) and the complete suite of radio communications/navigation equipment. Installation of these components onto the C-130 provides a highly integrated flight deck system with a glass cockpit for improved situational awareness, reduced crew workload and enhanced safety features, as well as all Communication, Navigation, Surveillance/ Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) capabilities. Rockwell Collins' development of the 6- x 8-inch Multi-Function Display (MFD) display family, specifically designed for the C-130, also brings expanded utility and capability to the cockpit. Our solution has been selected for C-130 upgrade programs in Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Greece, Jordan, Pakistan and Australia.

First the trenton as a one off deal and then the C130Js as a one off deal. Isnt these one off deals are becoming too common now?

IAF is also looking ito the PA-8 boeing planes too.

The MRCA definitly not going to the LH or Beoing.

First the trenton as a one off deal and then the C130Js as a one off deal. Isnt these one off deals are becoming too common now?

IAF is also looking ito the PA-8 boeing planes too.

The MRCA definitly not going to the LH or Beoing.

We'll have to wait a while for the P8A which is expected to enter service in 2010 I think. The MRCA wouldn't be completely awarded to any American company, but a split isn't out of the question as yet.

Wouldnt split be a disaster?
The amount of money spend on setting up the infra for a new plane can only be justfied if the nos are good enough, right?

Wouldnt split be a disaster?
The amount of money spend on setting up the infra for a new plane can only be justfied if the nos are good enough, right?

Learn from pakistans Mistakes stay with Russia.

c-130 models which pakistan is using may not fulfill the requirements of pakistani armed forces.i dont not what kind of upgrade has been undertaken. could you please tell me?

Its essentially a re-worked aircraft simply because the avionics and the propellers are more up to date. Its the only C-130 in production now. My comment was simply about the reliability of the C-130 platform. All of Pakistani C-130s having been bought prior to the J production model are older. However all of the PAF C-130s are being modernized with fully glassed cockpits. Rockwell Collins has undertaken the work for the PAF C-130 upgrade.
I did not intend a jab in my question, it was an honest querry :)

We'll have to wait a while for the P8A which is expected to enter service in 2010 I think. The MRCA wouldn't be completely awarded to any American company, but a split isn't out of the question as yet.

We have not even decided whether we are going to get the P-8. The tender has been out, there are four competeting companies.
1. Completely refurbished P3C's. They even have a different structure, changes in tail , etc, etc apart from wholly new sensors. This is teh same refurbished P3C's got by the USN recently.

2. P-8I Poseidon. Completely new gen MPA. I cannot say how good or bad it is compared to the new P3C's.

3. Russian Il somthing.

4. European, i think its Nimrod.
These four companies are cometeting as of now, results are expected to be declared at the end of this year. They are competing for 8 new MPA's for the IN plus the option to buy 8 more i thnk.

Its expected to go with the new P3C's beacuse:
Lower price than the P-8.
P-8's are not even opereational and will get inducted by 2012 onwards if selected.

For those who are going to say that IN has rejected the P3C's a long time back. The rejection was for LEASING the P3C's. This is a completely different tender.

On the MRCA issue. Yeah setting up the infra is good , if the numbers are good, but, this is a political issue and if you look at it, IAF will only be adding 1 new type of plane to its inventory. The MiG 35 requires virtually no change in infrastructure apart from somethings. Its the most integrable thing and cannot even be counted as a new type of plane for the IAF, because IAF already has most of its things, including the factory of its engine.
I think a split is in order.

Back
Top Bottom