What's new

India selects EF, Rafale for MMRCA shortlist

Who is now the Favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FLASH! Rafale & Typhoon Move To Next Level In M-MRCA, Others Out!

It's official! France's Dassault Aviation Rafale and the European consortium's Eurofighter Typhoon move to the next level on the Indian Air Force M-MRCA fighter selection process. Both companies have confirmed that their programme teams have been asked to be at the MoD/Air HQ tomorrow for a meeting where the process will be taken forward. While the two companies have been, in effect, asked to extend the validity of their commercial bids, the other four contenders -- Boeing F/A-18, Lockheed-Martin's F-16, UAC's MiG-35 and Saab's Gripen -- haven't received a message or a letter. This is, in effect, the downselect that you've been hearing about so much. More shortly. It must be said that it was TimesNOW's Srinjoy Chowdhry who first reported that the Rafale and Typhoon led the competition, followed by several posts here on Livefist which suggested that the two big European twins were likely to make the semi-final cut. Today's story broke on Stratpost.

What has happened today is basically scenario 2 in my post from earlier today. The MoD's decision to issue requests for bid validity extension to only two of the six companies -- and by default allow the commercial bids of the other four to expire tomorrow -- could be problematic, but this isn't something the IAF and MoD haven't accounted for. This could be the most interesting phase of the competition, since the four contenders knocked out of the fray will be wondering why in hell the government waited till the end to shaft them.

Livefist has reported extensively on the apprehensions that could guide the Indian government's final decision against the Americans and Russians. Let's just remind ourselves, however, that is a down-select. The process of selection is not nearly over. This is, however, the first substantive decision that has been taken in the competition, and the only one so far that narrows the board. Stay tuned for what promises to be a huge amount of action from here on out.

Livefist: FLASH! Rafale & Typhoon Move To Next Level In M-MRCA, Others Out!

Guys if you go to YouTube and type "future dogfight" you can see a very interesting video. What is interesting is they illustrate a hypothetic dogfight of the F-22 VS the SU-30MKI, note the MK"I" specifically, I find this odd as India is the ONLY country that operates the MKI so do (this is made by History channel and doesn't represent views of US govt) they expect to go to war with India by 2016? What is also interesting is that in the formation of MKIs is the Rafele and this program was made 4 years age! Pure luck or do these guys know more than we do??

History channel is a CIA front :P j/k. thanks for the find , should be interesting to watch- headed there now

dassault-rafale.jpg

Many things like more powerful TVC engines, high power microwave, electronic attack and cyber warfare. lol

BTW four country partnership is important because forget Italy and Spain Germany and UK have many technologies better than France. EFT inducted in much larger number than Rafale. Many country bought it.

hehe my source tells me EFT is 20 times better than Rafale. Better radar, better engines, supercruise, better avionics and sensors.

I will not get there now:), Lets celebrate the Rafale showdown!!!....:yahoo:

Looks like some journos woke up midnight.....we are getting more and more news.

I myself am a big fan of F18 and I think it was well suited for the roles in MRCA....but I think MoD is looking for additional benefits with any bird tha they choose for which the contest has narrowed down to EF and rafale...these two birds are not only good, but also gives full ToT and other benefits like partnership.etc.

BTW am not sure of the price thing...

I don't know if the TOT portion of negotiations has begun. I remember articles saying they were willing on TOT. but yeah, my point to Kartic was - when have those agreements hindered Indian MOD from negotiating. I guess when the MOD comes out with why others lost out it would state if TOT was an issue and if it was - hell yeah go with whomever is giving you the best buck.

On pricing was the EF not the most expensive of all aircrafts?

IOn pricing was the EF not the most expensive of all aircrafts?

It is still the most expensive,even afterthe price cuts. But i was not so sure of your cliam of the F18 being less expensive compared to other birds. thats why I asked it.

One very important feature of the Rafale is the SPECTRA virtual software based Stealth Electronic Warfare and Defensive Aids Suite.this entire suite is integrated internally and it houses an Infraded Missile Warning System,a Radar Warning Receiver along with Chaff and Flare Dispensers.the Spectra houses a self protection jammer which has the capability of stealthy modes of Jamming along with Active Cancellation Technology.this gives the Heavy Protection in a net-centric warfare.this Spectra is made by THALES and EADS FRANCE.the Topsight-E Helmet Mounted Sight along with the MBDA AIM-132 ASRAAM in WVR Combat and MBDA Meteor in BVR combat makes it a lethal platform.

I'd love to see a new thread where French Vs EU aircraft specs are posted in one place vs having to hunt hundreds of post on it. A benchmark of sorts , if possible by the knowledgeable posters here.

It is still the most expensive,even afterthe price cuts. But i was not so sure of your cliam of the F18 being less expensive compared to other birds. thats why I asked it.

there was a thread here ages ago where raw pricing on each was put up _ I thought it had F 18 as least expensive. can anyone else confirm?

One very important feature of the Rafale is the SPECTRA virtual software based Stealth Electronic Warfare and Defensive Aids Suite.this entire suite is integrated internally and it houses an Infraded Missile Warning System,a Radar Warning Receiver along with Chaff and Flare Dispensers.the Spectra houses a self protection jammer which has the capability of stealthy modes of Jamming along with Active Cancellation Technology.this gives the Heavy Protection in a net-centric warfare.this Spectra is made by THALES and EADS FRANCE.the Topsight-E Helmet Mounted Sight along with the MBDA AIM-132 ASRAAM in WVR Combat and MBDA Meteor in BVR combat makes it a lethal platform.

side note: did you say you were only 16? parents must be proud of you- I know many here are w/ your knowledge. someday tell us how you got to be such a military enthusiasts

Back
Top Bottom