What's new

India pressures Iran on Chahbahar port

If India tries to establish a significant military position in Afghanistan post ISAF, its forces will become the new Taliban target. This is a highly inadvisable course for the Indian government to take. They cannot come close to doing what NATO and dozens of countries put together have thus-far failed at.

The recent change of heart Karzai seems to be having, with the sacking of pro Northern Alliance officials, the announcement regarding Afghan military officials being trained in Pakistan and the more conciliatory tone towards Pakhtun groups, seems to imply that allowing or encouraging India to gain a toehold in Afghanistan will serve his interests either.
i read somewhere that taliban r ok with calling a truce with India. In any case we can't be pansies n expect to be nflential.

i dont think the Iranians really trust hindustan atm. And besides what good will the port do if Iran is under such heavy sanctions? Oh yeah, I'm sure the U.S. will use Iran's ports for logistics purposes. Of all countries :

so who should they actualy trust,china who supported the sanctions or pakistan who is promoting a nexus which iran also oppose

p.s. Gwadar is situated in a much more strategic location. :pakistan:

how

Well talibans wont be sitting on negotiating table without considerable pressure from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and UAE which also allows Pak to play its favourite cards, Secondly the Iran-Pakistan-Turkey nexus is growing, particularly after Turkish flotilla accidents and newfound objections towards state of israel. This nexus could overshadow strategic intrests of India in the wake of its growing romantic honeymoon with USA. The strategic need of influence in Afghanistan cannot be denied by Iran which could be compromised and Iran can be pressured into limiting co-operation with Indians. While everyone likes to trade with Indians, Chinese, Russians and Persians on equality basis what tires people is the constant bragging and ambitions of dominance. The Chinese dont intend to dominate anyone, the russians failed and retreated, Persians are happy in their own sphere of influence while India tries to mimic a superpower like USA.

so who should they actualy trust,china who supported the sanctions or pakistan who is promoting a nexus which iran also oppose

Iran seems to make do with an isolationist approach, though they are trying to engage (a lot of it succesfully) nearby and far away countries alike --especially Central Asian, a few Latin American and African countries, not to mention their ''proxies'' in Middle East.

China supporting sanctions on Iran wont mean much in terms of still existing bilateral trade.

Iran is ideologically opposed to the taleban (i assume thats what you were referring to) though I'm sure they wouldnt be opposed to the notion of a power-sharing deal if it would bring peace and stability. They still exercise a lot of influence in western parts of Afghanistan --mostly non-Pukhtun areas.

though we do have some differing strategic goals and some 'irritants' between us, our relations are fairly warm and I dont see any distrust at least on diplomatic or commercial level.

Gwadar enjoys the status of a deep sea all season warm water port....

its right on the Arabian sea and can be both China centric as well as central asia (and persian gulf) centric. Transit times would be much shorter as well (and thusly, cheaper) provided that the security environment improves and that railways/highways infrastructure are complete (ongoing)

(do check out the Makran coastal road, to admire the great scenery http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...tans-breathtaking-makran-coastal-highway.html)

Who will defend Indian interests in the post ISAF Afghanistan is a big question. I believe that it is a gamble ( no risk) for India to invest so much in Afghanistan and Iran. Besides, the population in these countries are highly unpredictable.

Who will defend Indian interests in the post ISAF Afghanistan is a big question. I believe that it is a gamble ( no risk) for India to invest so much in Afghanistan and Iran. Besides, the population in these countries are highly unpredictable.

Afghanis I would say. And why do their interests have to be defended? Afghanis are fully for it.

Afghanis I would say. And why do their interests have to be defended? Afghanis are fully for it.

That is very wishful thinking.Their interests have to be defended due to various hostile elements inside Afghanistan who are also formidable.
If there was an entity called Afghanis , that was a good news. Afghanistan has to work on that area to create Afghan nationalism instead of tribalism. The Afghan nationalism is far from being a reality till date. Anyone , who knows the reality on the ground in Afghanistan , knows this fact.

Last edited:
there has been no nationalism for past several decades, much longer actually.....even somebody who knows basic things about Afghanistan and AFGHANS know it is a factionalized society, though they are humans and want all the things that normal humans do

at this point, some unity in Afghanistan would of course be in our favour; as it would bring some stability too (which is what we all want)

for the record:

Afghanis --- currency

Afghans -- people of Afghanistan

i dont think the Iranians really trust hindustan atm. And besides what good will the port do if Iran is under such heavy sanctions? Oh yeah, I'm sure the U.S. will use Iran's ports for logistics purposes. Of all countries :lol::lol::lol:

That port is devaloped with help of India because Pakistan was not allowing Indian goods to pass through their country to Afganistan..it was to lessen the dependent on Pakistan by India..and for using of port by US..please read it carefully

Of course, Chahbahar would be equally important to the US logistics supply chain, if the US and Iran could manage to work out some kind of a relationship

It doesnt mean that US is going to use it unless they both work out some kind of a relationship..Hope its now clear to you

p.s. Gwadar is situated in a much more strategic location. :pakistan:

Actually there were fear that Gwadar may lose business to Iranian port of Chabahar..So it is also Pakistan need that Chabahar is not commissioned.. :cheers:

Gwadar may lose business to Iranian port of Chabahar

That port is devaloped with help of India because Pakistan was not allowing Indian goods to pass through their country to Afganistan..it was to lessen the dependent on Pakistan by India..

good, i hope it stays that way

and for using of port by US..please read it carefully

I understood every word of it, thanks for the advice. Purely hypothetical, wont happen anytime soon I dont think

It doesnt mean that US is going to use it unless they both work out some kind of a relationship..Hope its now clear to you

i don't need you to paraphrase articles for me

Actually there were fear that Gwadar may lose business to Iranian port of Chabahar..So it is also Pakistan need that Chabahar is not commissioned.. :cheers:

obviously it will be competition; but i think in terms of what each has to offer, Gwadar takes the 'cake' -- it's just important that security concerns are heeded to and addressed. Infrastructure and development of the port to accomodate full scale operations is crucial

Karachi port is still quite over-burdened, and Gwadar is situated comfortably away from hindustan waters

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom