What's new

India, Pak, Iran reach deal on gas pipeline

Adux

Reaction score
India, Pak, Iran reach deal on gas pipeline
Thursday, June 28, 2007
20:29 IST

Blog this story

New Delhi: Iran sought last-minute changes in the agreement on pricing of natural gas that it is to supply India and Pakistan through a $7.4 billion pipeline even as New Delhi and Islamabad reached an agreement on transportation charges.

At the tripartite official level talks here, Tehran sought insertion of a clause for revision in the pricing formula every three years based on international fuel prices and energy mix, a stipulation that was opposed by India and Pakistan, a source said.

India and Pakistan had agreed on the price formula proposed by Iran, according to which gas would be priced at 4.93 dollars per million British thermal unit, and wanted it to remain the basis of pricing of natural gas for the entire 25-year duration of the supply contract.

The official level talks, possibly the last before a ministerial meeting next month for signing a final deal, will continue tomorrow.

The source also said India and Pakistan reached an agreement on the principle of computing the transportation charges payable to Islamabad for wheeling the gas through the 1,050-km section of the pipeline in that country.

The issue of transit fee, payable to Islamabad for allowing passage of the pipeline to India, was not resolved as the officials decided the issue may be best left for the political leadership to discuss.

While the transportation tariff was purely an economic issue related to the cost involved in transmission of gas, transit fee was more of a political goodwill issue and the charges, many times waived, depend on agreement between the nations.
The source said the transit fee issue would be decided when oil ministers of India and Pakistan meet just before the tri-nation ministerial conference in the second half of July.

Petroleum Secretary M S Srinivasan and his Pakistani counterpart Ahmad Waqar led the discussions yesterday evening and in the pre-lunch session today on the rates to be paid to Islamabad for allowing the passage of the pipeline, security and other technical parameters.

In the post-lunch session, they were joined by Iranian officials to discuss, among other things, the delivery point, delivery schedules, framework agreement, legal and financial provisions in the contract and safeguards.

The proposed pipeline will initially carry 60 million cubic meters of gas, split equally between Pakistan and India. The delivery point would be at the Iran-Pakistan border.

Pakistan was previously seeking a transportation tariff of 0.70-0.75 dollars per million British thermal unit (mBtu) while New Delhi is willing to pay no more than 0.55 per mBtu (220 million dollars annually). India decided to go with the Pakistani number, the source said.

On transit fee, Islamabad is seeking 0.493 dollars per mBtu while New Delhi has offered 0.20 dollars per mBtu.

http://content.msn.co.in/news/international/InternationalPTI_280607_2028

lol@United States of America

I love Indian Diplomacy, India First

The issues remain unresolved.

'India and Pakistan agree on price deal'. What was that? The price deal issue was with iran not btw Pakistan and India.

Transit fees not resolved.

India had earlier said that i t would only pay Iran for the gas it recieves and was totaly against a trilateral agreement. India was asking Iran to sign an agreement with pakistan to guarantee supplies if it wants.

Nothing is solved!!!

I love the maturity of Indian Diplomacy.

They're engaging Iran, USA, Japan, China, South Korea....all at the same time. India First. :smokin:

The issues remain unresolved.

'India and Pakistan agree on price deal'. What was that? The price deal issue was with iran not btw Pakistan and India.

Transit fees not resolved.

India had earlier said that i t would only pay Iran for the gas it recieves and was totaly against a trilateral agreement. India was asking Iran to sign an agreement with pakistan to guarantee supplies if it wants.

Nothing is solved!!!

Pakistan was previously seeking a transportation tariff of 0.70-0.75 dollars per million British thermal unit (mBtu) while New Delhi is willing to pay no more than 0.55 per mBtu (220 million dollars annually). India decided to go with the Pakistani number, the source said.

On transit fee, Islamabad is seeking 0.493 dollars per mBtu while New Delhi has offered 0.20 dollars per mBtu.
Well from this article it doen't seem India is only paying Iran- whats happening is what Pakistan is asking is less than what India is willing to pay. I wonder what the final outcome will be hopefully Pakistan can get the most out of India:bunny:
But yeah lets wait and see:pdf:

Chrome,

With the sorry *** way we negotiate, Price is not something that you will get out of us... lol

Nothing but leverage by the indians against the americans over the nuclear deal.
Its never going to happen...pakistan india gas pipeline.Nice dream

Ahh!!! you never know, there might be peace one day between India and Pakistan. Though I am sure it aint happening anytime soon

this will definatly help in resolving the long misunderstandings between pur two nations. when we become economically dependant on each other then we will have no choice but to solve our outstanding issues.

why are people here bargaining in lieu for their governments??

The article means nothing. Things are still stuck.

why are people here bargaining in lieu for their governments??

The article means nothing. Things are still stuck.

We are Indians and Pakistani's , bargaining is in our blood. Chinese are the Kings of the trade though. russell Peters is my idol

Chrome,

With the sorry *** way we negotiate, Price is not something that you will get out of us... lol

Well Indians arn't the only haglers around...:)
I once knew this aunty who was the best haggler I'd ever seen, she could easily bring down anything to half price in a desi shop...I kid you not :taz:
Tgough I wonder what would of happened If she tried in debenhams:devil:

Back
Top Bottom