What's new

India is 4th most dangerous country for journalists in 2013

jana ji assuming the number of jurnos will be proportion to population (although i am sure the jurnos are more than we require in india)that numbers are nearly true..they might increase if the journalist density in india is greater than those two countries.but any way as i said my intention was not to belittle the issue but to present it in a better perspective for a better comparison.

Thats no argument/ or justification.

Half of them died in road accidents.

proof??

anyway the news says

India climbed up IPI’s Death Watch in a year when the number of journalists killed world over during the year came down as compared to 2012 which was the deadliest year recorded with 132 dead. Death Watch includes journalists and media staff who were deliberately targeted because of their profession – “either because of their reporting or simply because they were journalists”. The list also includes journalists killed on assignment.

why not??whats the flaw in my aurgment??u think the density of journalists in those two countries will be more than in india??india has more than 70,000 news papers and over 690 satellite channels..i'm not ure whether syria and iraq have that kind of media!since i donot have the concrete numbers i took them proportional to the population.but thats just a conservative figure.if you take the actual number of jurnolists then the death rates in those countries would be more than what i mentioned.besides they did not die during peace time as you mentioned but as post#6 suggests some of the indian jurnolists died in naxal areas and riots.again,my intention was not to belittle the issue but only to keep things in better perspective.

proof??

It was there in the news report,

Two were killed while covering communal violence and four died in accidents while on assignment. Apparently two killed in Tripura had some extra marital issue, which lead to their death. Atleast half of the deaths were not because of their reporting.

And in May, three employees from a Bengali language daily were murdered by masked men who forced their way into the office. The unknown assailants killed the manager of the paper, Ranjit Choudhary, and then stabbed a proof reader and a driver to death as they left the building. In an interview after the incident, the editor of the paper said that he thought he was the real target but believed it was a case of mistaken identity.

Two journalists were also killed in accidents while on assignment: Prem Thakur, a reporter for Asia News International, was killed in an avalanche while filming a snow clearing operation near the Himalayas. Photographer Manjunath Gowda was killed by an elephant after he went to close to take a picture of it.

Thankfully, this year has been incident free so far in India. Pakistani journalists on the other hand seem to be having a bad year. 8 deaths already in 2014 :(

Casualties Database: 2014: INSI

Last edited:
Be Afraid. Be very very afraid! :sniper:
Beware of Indians...

images

Those are Maori..o_O

Um. That's a bit of a misnomer. 13 journalists dying in a country the size of India is not the same as a few less dying in a country much smaller, with far less journalists to begin with.
Exactly my thoughts.....we lost 13 journos out of the 1000s that we have.
This report is preposterous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom