What's new

India goes shopping for a new assault rifle

Why they are for 5.56 mm why not 7.62 mm like AK?

Americans faced problem with low caliber in Afghanistan.

complaints always arise,with the 5.56 it is the power,with the 7.62 it is accuracy.

What we forget all three 5.56,7.62 NATO and soviet 7.62 are time tested,battle tested rounds.They have tasted blood of so many people that we will lose count.

though new rounds like 6.5,6.8 SPC are being produced and being used in small quantities only by units like Delta Force but all aside the 5.56 and 7.62 both are good rounds.

If I had a say i like the HK 416,LWRC M6A2 very much both are very good guns and also some M4-geries produced by bushmaster,daniel defense etc.

Indian defence budget is big so why not buy best thing from market, Insas is another addition to list of goodies which failed and Indian forces are not satisfied with them.

DRDO-Defence Research and Development Organisation "Cant make a basic rifle":agree:

Didn't read teh article.... But wasn't IA has something like F-INSAS etc....

F-Insas was another media hyped thing it failed and Indian special forces started issuing RFP to foreign companies.

Updated 24/11/2011.
MARCOS knows that these projects(F-INSAS) never deliver on schedule, and are instead seeking foreign sources. There are several, including the U.S., France, Germany and several other European nations. If MARCOS gets away with this, it will encourage other Indian special operations forces to do the same.
http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.asp?get=new&id=867

F-Insas was another media hyped thing it failed and Indian special forces started issuing RFP to foreign companies.

Updated 24/11/2011.
MARCOS knows that these projects(F-INSAS) never deliver on schedule, and are instead seeking foreign sources. There are several, including the U.S., France, Germany and several other European nations. If MARCOS gets away with this, it will encourage other Indian special operations forces to do the same.
Defence News - Indian SEALs Seek Competitive Gear

Okeh Smarty Tell Me What more Do you Know Abt F-Insas ? Please Don't Look Up Wikipedia !!

Next gen kickass assault rifles is what IA needs

Weapons_of_MW2_Primary_RPD_and_FAL.jpg

Not all of these are assault rifles

Actually it is the opposite,with 7.62 is the power & 5.56 is the accuracy.

I meant the weaknesses not the strength's mate.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Not all of these are assault rifles

funny things is this is the poster of the weapons used in modern warfare 2 except the pistols

I know that.... but INSAS rifle is Indian why not opt for that or Improve it....Or INSAS dont have the capability of future rifle?
It cant be done. As per the information on the web DRDO is developing 2 assault rifle with Israeli help and a machine gun. Machine gun is ready and is undergoing user trials. Now because of many previous failures and delays IA doesnot trust drdo any more, although things are changing slowly but this project is likely to go to foreign vendors.

4367071433_b4ea70c771.jpg

There's one more assault rifle developed by OFB, its called Trichi Assault Rifle. User trial is going on for this rifle also.

29pyhc6.jpg

By the IA took the right decision. Making an automatic assault rifle from the scratch takes time, 6-7 years while drdo has set up an unrealistic timeline and thats why delay is inevitable. Now lets see what happens but IA is not waiting and they want it now.

My favorites contendors for the competition are :

1) FN SCAR

800px-FN_SCAR_rifle.jpg

2) Tar-21

800px-India_Para.jpg

3) ARX-160

beretta_arx160-16-gl-optr.jpg

There are only so many projects that the DRDO can do at a given instance. They are overburdened and bogged down with a humongous number of projects. Its time private players are allowed to share the burden.

5.56 version of the FN SCAR has already been rejected by USSOCOM very few pieces are in use.Though it's 7.62 NATO version is very good.

I wouldnt go for beretta in carbines and rifles,though they always impress with their pistols.

Tavor is a lovely gun the best in bullpups in my opinion.

5.56 version of the FN SCAR has already been rejected by USSOCOM very few pieces are in use.Though it's 7.62 NATO version is very good.
I heard they improved the problems and now its been used by US Special Forces. On paper its the best assault rifle that i know of.

I wouldnt go for beretta in carbines and rifles,though they always impress with their pistols.
Yeah they are good but i would prefer German Heckler & Koch and for sub machine gun i would definitely go for H&K.

INSAS hasn't failed!!! It has been in use for over 15 years now and most of the issues cited were sorted out! Moreover, by the time new weapons come in, it would be another 5-10 years which means a total of 25 years of service for INSAS (at the very least). Any country would change rifles after 25 years of service! OFB's haven't been able to come up with an adequate replacement and therefore the RFP from foreign vendors. Personally I have no issues as long as we get the TOT for mass production. After all we will be replacing close to 1 million units!

I heard they improved the problems and now its been used by US Special Forces. On paper its the best assault rifle that i know of.

Yeah they are good but i would prefer German Heckler & Koch and for sub machine gun i would definitely go for H&K.

H&k right from pistol to rifles build good arms,they are the angelina jolie of the gun world,everyone wants a piece of action.

Back
Top Bottom