What's new

India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile

dee

Reaction score
NEW DELHI - The Indian Army has decided to buy the Javelin anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), Defence Ministry sources here said.

The decision comes within a month of media reports that Pakistan had included the Javelin on its wish list of U.S. weapons it wants to purchase. Senior Indian Defence Ministry officials had favored buying Israeli-made Spike ATGMs until those reports.

India's Javelin-purchase decision is final, ministry sources said. The missile's sale to India was approved in the U.S. last week, but the amount and cost are not yet known.

The fire-and-forget Javelin weapon system is produced by a joint venture of U.S. companies Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. The anti-armor weapon also has a direct-attack mode for use against buildings or fortifications.

The Indian Army began considering acquiring the Javelin after it rejected the Spike during trials in 2008.

The Army's tests of the Javelin in land exercises last year were satisfactory, a service official said.

The Javelin purchase would be in addition to the Indian Nag ATGM, which already has been ordered. The Army's current ATGM arsenal includes old Milan and Konkours missiles.

India Chooses U.S.-Built Javelin Anti-Tank Missile - Defense News

The decision comes within a month of media reports that Pakistan had included the Javelin on its wish list of U.S. weapons it wants to purchase. Senior Indian Defence Ministry officials had favored buying Israeli-made Spike ATGMs until those reports.

I think the deal makes sense we already have nag on namica carriers but the towed version is under development, so its a win win situation as pakistan would not be able to get its hands on it and it will also fulfill the needs of IA as its a combat proven :cheers:

I think the deal makes sense we already have nag on namica carriers but the towed version is under development, so its a win win situation as pakistan would not be able to get its hands on it and it will also fulfill the needs of IA as its a combat proven :cheers:

Is there some agreement that anything sold to Pakistan would not be sold to India? or Vice Versa? I guess not. So keep celebrating what you have got hold of.. we have few cards that we know never let America astray.

Is there some agreement that anything sold to Pakistan would not be sold to India? or Vice Versa? I guess not.

None whatsoever. If Pakistan wants to buy it and can find the resources for it, the US will sell.

Does it mean the end of the road for soldier launched Nag missile ?

Not good for the Indian defense industry in long term.
:cheers:

:confused::confused:

how is it end of road for NAG..nag is probably one of the best missile in ATGM category..already ordered by IA and other countries...

None whatsoever. If Pakistan wants to buy it and can find the resources for it, the US will sell.

That remains to be seen as we havent had such a scenario yet. Closest precedent could be the Nuclear Deal. The US definitely keep their monetary concerns over everything else, but if they have a long-term vision they will know whose side to be on.

i think not..pakistan is US old and trusted customer.if Pakistan wants it it will get it provided they provide the resources...

Does it mean the end of the road for soldier launched Nag missile ?

Not good for the Indian defense industry in long term.
:cheers:

brother NAG aint that bad....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good News !
After the Babina exercises, the Army had its eyes on the Javelin- 'Yeh to honaa hi tha'.
IMO, the Javelin will go to the 'strike formations', while the Nag will be distributed elsewhere (cost factors). NAMICA and HELINA are here to stay as well; so do'nt write off the 'family of serpents'.
i won't be surprised to see similar news about the 'Strykers'- anybody willing to bet ?

That remains to be seen as we havent had such a scenario yet. Closest precedent could be the Nuclear Deal. The US definitely keep their monetary concerns over everything else, but if they have a long-term vision they will know whose side to be on.

Plenty of precedents. Look up ALRs sold to both sides. Look at the example of F-16s being marketed to both. ATGMs are infantry weapons. Not a big deal to sell to both sides.

Back
Top Bottom