What's new

India and Petty Ideas

Actually I was talking more about in 1987 where united states refuse to provide India with supercomputer. India needed for the wheather satellite, and the Americans thought India would use it for Military application.

The real story is that Rajiv Gandhi came back to India with nothing in his hands, and he put out a tender in private sector to build a supercomputer. Within few months Indian companies built the supercomputer for the gov't. Know that is what i called Homegrown talent. This started the supercomputer industry in India and selling of it through out the world.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India unveils huge supercomputer

yes, this is the param padma i mentioned, dear jeypore. It was built in India, but it was made from joining 50 something IBM p630 computer nodes. So it was not 100 percent indigenously built.

Its not really 'respecting Pakistan's existence' if you try and pin its creation on some absurd "great game' theory involving manipulative politicians and perfidious albions (thanks S-2), instead of respecting and honoring the people of Pakistan who supported the idea and without whom her creation would never have been possible.

Pakistan is the creation of her people, through the efforts of Jinnah and others who were the public face of that idea, and who articulated the desires of her people.

I respect your views but my friend this could be one of the reasons. Of course the most important reasons were what you have written above but you cannot ignore the greater geopolitical implication of the creation of Pakistan. Another thing is great game is not my absurd theory it was a reality. Thirdly British have divided many regions in the world for their benefit and hardly did anything keeping in mind the aspirations of the local people thus it makes you wonder what was in it for them to gain.

yes, this is the param padma i mentioned, dear jeypore. It was built in India, but it was made from joining 50 something IBM p630 computer nodes. So it was not 100 percent indigenously built.

Sorry it was 99% India made, I don't think that will lessen our achievement.

lol...the main cpu was bought from ibm, actually more than 50 of them. yes, the network was made in India, but that could hardly be called making the 'computer'. When you start making the actual server, the cpu that does the computations, thats when you can claim indigenous achievement.

lol...the main cpu was bought from ibm, actually more than 50 of them. yes, the network was made in India, but that could hardly be called making the 'computer'. When you start making the actual server, the cpu that does the computations, thats when you can claim indigenous achievement.

wow if building super computers is sooo easy why doesn't Pakistan have one. Does ibm doesn't sell cpu in Pakistan. My friend making supercomputer is not just putting cpu`s together and networking them, it is called parallel computing.

wow if building super computers is sooo easy why doesn't Pakistan have one. Does ibm doesn't sell cpu in Pakistan. My friend making supercomputer is not just putting cpu`s together and networking them.

you're right, and like i sait before, the work on padma should be appreciated. But it should not be shown as a shining example of self reliance and 100 percent indigenous engineering. That would be a bit disingenuous, to say the least.

Apart from that, kuddos to the Bharatiyas for what is definitely an achievement. As for Pakistan, I don't know if they have a supercomputer or not. But it would definitely be something for us to emulate.

Darkstar, you have this fix on Param not being 100% indian. But keep in mind that this was a very important part of Indian history, since there were only two countries in those days that built supercomputers, it was US and Japan. India against all odd because US said no, it took something out of nothing. India is today one of the largest player in this business. I would call this a homegrown work no matter how you have protraited it.

Last edited:
I respect your views but my friend this could be one of the reasons. Of course the most important reasons were what you have written above but you cannot ignore the greater geopolitical implication of the creation of Pakistan. Another thing is great game is not my absurd theory it was a reality. Thirdly British have divided many regions in the world for their benefit and hardly did anything keeping in mind the aspirations of the local people thus it makes you wonder what was in it for them to gain.

The "great game' may have been played out between the British and the Russian empires, but the suggestion that somehow the creation of Pakistan was some scheme to get 'access' to central Asia is really stretching it.

There would have been no way to guarantee such 'access' unless Pakistan were to be run by some sort of 'dictatorship' or 'monarchy' that would ensure continuity of any policy of 'access to central Asia'. And in any event, negotiating such an agreement would have been a possibility with the creation of a unified Indian State as well.

If I remember correctly, the Khan of Kalat did indeed try and 'bribe' the British with such an offer - that an independent nation of Baluchistan would allow the British the option of basing their military on her soil, use of her ports, and transit rights. If there was ever a need and the chance for a small powerless nation to grant the British access to central Asia, then this would have been it. It would even have a monarchy (a Khanate) that would have ensured continuity, especially if the British ensured they kept the potential heirs to the Khan happy and beholden to British favor.

The British obviously did not avail of that golden opportunity, and that really throws a spanner in the works of the 'Greeat Game' conspiracy theorists.

But even if there was such a scheme, it would have been impossible to implement had the desire for a separate nation not existed amongst the peoples of the lands comprising Pakistan. So in the end, the creation of Pakistan still owed everything to the support of the people.

Back
Top Bottom