What's new

In Malaysia, I visited a mosque – In Pakistan, I can’t

really?
my older family members wen to same school way before. They used to get "caned" for not reciting the christian prayer in the morning assembly! They said eventually they started to just move their lips to pretend. i mentioned this on her a few years ago and was basically called a liar !

I never went to a Missionary School so I won't know what goes on in there - I've usually heard good things about them !

I wanted to visit a Church here in Lahore & the guard kept telling me that I couldn't because its past the closing time so when I inquired whether I could come at a different time tomorrow when the entry was open & he said 'Sir church mein sirf Masihoon ko ijazaat hai' & so I just said 'alright' & walked away !

But I did visit another Church many years ago to attend a friend's wedding !

So its not like all or most Churches would be like that - Maybe it was just a one-off thing; likewise I can't understand who could've stopped the author of the article from visiting some of the bigger & well-known mosques in Pakistan when I've visited 2 a couple of times with some non-muslim friends - Maybe it too was a one-off thing for her !

many hindu temples do not allow non hindus. Its primarily their worship place and right of admission could be restricted. I dont think anybody should complain. I have been allowed in one mosque and turned away from another. Felt disappointed but understand their right.

I visited mosques in Turkey and I prayed there too. There, they close the mosques for non Muslims at prayer time and even in normal time, dont let tourists beyond a certain area in the Masjid.

It all because Malaysia and Turkey, tourists do come. In Pakistan, tourists dont come, so there is no environment there for it. IF there are tourists in Pakistan, the behavior of people and manners will also change. Right now, that cant be happening that Pakistan become a tourist destination.

Even without a physical presence forbidding you from walking through the door there can be some deep ingrained hesitation (that may or may not be warranted) which may be factoring in to what you perceive.

For instance many Catholics will be hesitant to step inside a Protestant church (strong feelings of heresy) but will have no problem walking into a Mosque (not heretical..just "different").

Last edited:
So the people ranting against the author of article confirm to me I will come out alive of laal masjid if I told them I was an Ahmadi after going in?

What b.s. Talk about 'overall'. I'm sure if you go to an extremist mosque in malay, you would face same consequence.

The author is just need of some 'clicks.' There are mosques which limit freedom, but MANY DO NOT

It is a sad state of affairs that these things should happen in the house of Allah. I witness the same thing, in Pakistani and Bdeshi managed masjids Somalis/Arabs get stared out when they enter just because they pray slightly different to the rest. It's usually by the old uncle but this habit needs to stop. A masjid is a warm, welcoming place.

From an outsider's view, I can see no need or obligation for Pakistan's Muslims to open their places of worship to tourists who do not hold the same respect for said places as their faithful do.
The lady who wrote the artcile is not a tourist.
She is a non Muslim Pakistani who says that she felt comfortable going to a mosque in Malaysia and not in Pakistan because of reasons outlined in the article.

The hospitality among Pakistanis is legendary, and likewise in Malaysia, and pretty much all Muslim countries and peoples.

Pakistani mosques are one of the wonders of the world with their intricate art and spirituality. in sha Allah, I will start a thread for Mosques in Pakistan.
Are you somewhat daft?
Read the article and understand what it is about. It was not an article showing Pakistan is a good light. And the lady who wrote it is a Pakistani.

Just because 1 Masjid didn't let her in doesn't mean all Masjid management is the same in Pakistan.If that's the case how are CNN journalists managing to take interviews inside Masjids.
Its not that she was not let in. Its about the kind of atmosphere in Pakistan where she feels uncomfortable declaring that she is a non Muslim and also after declaring that being able to go to visit mosques and enjoy the spirituality the place offers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom