What's new

In India 7 yrs in jail for eating beef; cops can raid on mere suspicion

Indians split over cow ban
By Neeta Lal

NEW DELHI - Rarely, if ever, has an animal and its meat been the object of such dissonance as the cow has been in India. Referred to reverentially as kamdhenu (one who fulfills all needs), the animal occupies a prime place in Hindu religious rituals and customs.

The issue of its slaughter thus invariably kindles strong passions across the socio-political spectrum. While the far-right Hindutva groups oppose the cows' butchering, liberals are vehement that what kind of meat one eats ought to be a matter of personal choice in a democracy.

Against such a contentious backdrop, the ban by the government of the Hindu nationalist right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on cow slaughter in the central state of Madhya Pradesh - with an

exceptionally stringent law - has resurrected the age-old debate.

The Gau-Vansh Vadh Pratishedh (Sanshodhan) Act, which has already received the presidential stamp, makes cow slaughter a serious offence punishable by up to seven years in jail. The law will also trigger punitive action to varying degrees against those who transport cows to slaughter or store beef.

The new legislation, say critics, is basically the old bugbear of "cow politics" masquerading as a matter of "public interest and communal harmony". It could have serious societal ramifications, too, considering it will permit an authority to randomly inspect homes and eateries on the pretext of seeking "evidence".

This is tricky territory - apart from stoking religious sentiments, such "inspections" may well encourage abuse or harassment amounting to an infringement of human rights. More so as the onus, under this act, is on the accused to prove his or her innocence.

A special symbol
The cow has dominated the Indian political matrix for decades. As far back as 1966, Delhi witnessed an outbreak of a massive agitation on the issue of a ban of cow slaughter.

Almost all Indian communal political parties organized a massive demonstration - attended by thousands of people - in support of a national ban on cow slaughter. It climaxed in violent rioting in front of parliament, resulting in the death of eight persons and injury to hundreds.

In April 1979, Acharya Vinoba Bhave, considered a spiritual heir to Mahatma Gandhi, went on a hunger strike to pressurize the central government to prohibit cow slaughter throughout the country. Bhave terminated his fast after five days when the then-prime minister Morarji Desai assured him that his government would try to implement the anti-slaughter legislation expeditiously.
Interestingly, according to some Brahmanical texts, the killing of animals and eating of beef was common during Vedic times. Even now, many Hindus or even cattle owners do not want cow-slaughter banned. Historian D N Jha writes in his book, Paradox of the Indian Cow: Attitudes to Beef Eating in Early India, that "traditional Hindu religious heritage carries the load of the misconception that his ancestors, especially the Vedic Aryans, attached great importance to the cow on account of its inherent sacredness".

The "sacred" cow has come to be considered a symbol of community identity of Hindus whose cultural tradition is often imagined as threatened by Muslims who are thought of as "beefeaters", writes Jha. And adds, "The sanctity of the cow has, therefore, been wrongly traced back to the Vedas, which are supposedly ... the fountainhead of all knowledge and wisdom."

In other words, Jha concludes, sections of Indian society have traced back the concept of the sacred cow to the very period when it was sacrificed and its flesh was eaten.

Cow slaughter is currently banned in many states - Gujarat passed the Animal Preservation Act in October 2011 that prohibits killing of cows along with buying, selling and transport of beef. Odisha and Andhra Pradesh states allow butchering of cattle other than cows if the animal carries a "fit-for-slaughter" certificate. In West Bengal and Kerala, consumption of beef is not deemed an offence.

However, what complicates the cow dynamic further is the fact that the Directive Principles of the Indian Constitution specify that the state must take steps for "... prohibiting the slaughter of cows and calves ..."

At the same time, legal eagles point out that banning cow slaughter violates two fundamental rights at the heart of India's constitution - the freedom to live and act (and eat) as one wishes (provided that doesn't infringe other people's rights), and the right to "carry on any occupation, trade or business".

The ban, feel the opponents, thus strikes at the very root of India's pluralistic and multi-religious society under the bogus pretext of respecting the "religious sentiments" of a community.

A sizeable number of Hindus eat beef, nor do their scriptures prohibit its consumption. In southern Kerala, for instance, beef accounts for nearly half of all meat consumed by all communities, including Hindus.

Sociologists attribute another reason to the widespread consumption of cow meat in India - it is a far cheaper source of animal protein for the poor than lamb or chicken, which retail at double the price. Small wonder, India's beef consumption post-independence in 1947 has witnessed a much faster upward spiral than any other kind of meat.

"If the real objective is to prevent cruelty to animals," say liberals, "then why single out the cow when hundreds of other animals are maltreated?"

Already, the management of cattle resources across India has been a deeply contentious issue with animal-rights activists. It is a common practice for farmers, they say, to brutally beat bullocks that plough their fields. Circus owners are notorious for maltreating the very animals that provide them their livelihood. Horses and camels, that entertain tourists on Indian beaches, are often brought to hospitals with profuse bleedings and injuries.

In face of such a grim reality, the new law smacks of hypocrisy. "Cow slaughter has become a political tool in the hand of those who base their politics on religious identities," says political analyst Ashok Pandit. "The MP [Madhya Pradesh] government's sudden love for a hapless animal is basically the invention of a remote control to manipulate religious minorities."

Besides, observers point out, in states where demands for a ban on cow slaughter is opposed on religious lines, it is not so much for religion, but because the issue is projected as a matter of "identity".

The Hindu nationalist right-wing BJP - known to resort to issues of identity and the politics of symbols - has often ignited the cow issue to stoke religious sentiments. In March 2010, the BJP-dominated assembly in the southern state of Karnataka (the last Indian state to pass the cow protection bill) faced vehement protests from Muslims.

The cow slaughter issue often drives the BJP's agenda, say political observers, because it relies on the Hindu vote bank for its main support. The party has also advocated stringent cow rights legislation across the country.

Critics say the law deliberately targets Muslims who tend to be meat traders or butchers, to fuel religious tension. In 2010, a Muslim butcher in Himachal Pradesh killed a cow in a fit of rage after it had failed to give milk for more than three years, triggering violence. Hindu protesters vandalized two mosques in an unsavory backlash, setting one of one of them on fire.

Ironically, the ban on cow slaughter has done something worse - it has driven the beef business underground. Ergo, it is still available to those who love this meat and have the "right" contacts.

Neeta Lal is a widely published writer/commentator who contributes to many reputed national and international print and Internet publications.

(Copyright 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

Asia Times Online :: Indians spilt over cow ban

Secular Indian State ?

What does the secularism have to do with it????????

Oh.......i got it you are from a communist state don't understand the word secular and democracy. :agree: :agree:

BTW, what about the 19th century holy mosque that govt of china demolished and when local Muslims protested chinese police killed many of them. :angry: What's ur take on that???????

^cow is not a deity but it's considered sacred.

As I said religious sensitivities need to be taken care of, if that makes India a Hindu nation then it's also a muslim nation because satanic verses was a banned here and christian nation because da vinchi code was banned. Although I'm against banning anything, but sometimes you have to make a compromise to your ideology if that saves some peoples lives.

Ps: the law is idiotic, they simply should have banned slaughtering in open spaces.

I appreciate that.

Pps: pakistanis and bangladeshis should be the last people to pass judgement on secularism.

Ha Ha Ha, thats prove how ignorant you are about the social affairs in bangladesh. I don't know much about pak, but back here in my country all of us have hindu frnds. We enjoy their puja festivals with their family even help arranging. And they also enjoy our festivals like Eids. Even we made extra foods for them as they do not eat beef..You may heard some exceptions from shitty newspapers. But exception is not an example. I would like you to invite to BD and check it out. Anyway have you ever been out of your country???

Ha Ha Ha, thats prove how ignorant you are about the social affairs in bangladesh. I don't know much about pak, but back here in my country all of us have hindu frnds. We enjoy their puja festivals with their family even help arranging. And they also enjoy our festivals like Eids. Even we made extra foods for them as they do not eat beef..You may heard some exceptions from shitty newspapers. But exception is not an example. I would like you to invite to BD and check it out.

You are more tolerant than Pak, because of inherent Bengali values; however you are far from being secular, even in the last BNP tenure minorities were treated like dirt and probably will be again once BNP-Jamat comes to power.

Anyway have you ever been out of your country???

I never needed to, I work for largest bank of US while sitting pretty at my hometown and enjoying the quintessential Adda with a glass of scotch. ;)

You are more tolerant than Pak, because of inherent Bengali values; however you are far from being secular, even in the last BNP tenure minorities were treated like dirt and probably will be again once BNP-Jamat comes to power.

I never needed to, I work for largest bank of US while sitting pretty at my hometown and enjoying the quintessential Adda with a glass of scotch. ;)

Well Well Well. The frog in that shitty well did think that was the whole world, The city bank also operates in Bd. You talked about BNP led gov, How could u even think that I know less than the newspaper? I knew wt actually happened and wt was sheer propaganda. Plz don't make me laugh with your quintessential knowledge about MY COUNTRY......

Yes sir, I have been to india- Calcutta and New Delhi for couple of days. And I am Going to USA after 7 months, got it ?? And i hope that you are a learned and honorable person, just sit and ponder quietly - Is this law is actually a good one? Why not then ban hen, duck, etc etc slaughtering?? Cow is a deity of yours, fine Everyone of us honor it. But if I kick a cow anyhow and any why does that mean that deity is downed?? What about millions of cows are being slaughtered in chicago, Bangladesh, pakistan, ................................ even in indias some others state? This is a sheer Hypocritical and heinous act. It supposed to be 2012, not some 1100 A.D....

If u want my opnion of this issue,i have no problems with any Indian person eating beef,even though personally i would not let my kids eat it or marry a girl who eats it.

But if u r living in a country where 80% people have an issue with beef,then i see no harm in giving it up.Mutton is always there.

MP is a staunch hindu state and will have near 80% vegetarians,so a political party here say a right wing party like BJP is just trying to keep the votes.Big deal man.

And i have been to the galis of Bhopal,with so many muslim restaurants and nobody served beef there.

U go right across to UP,a neighbouring state and u can gorge the kebabs in lucknow,often of beef or buffalo meat.

so,this is a silly issue?

And there is this behaviour in India,too many people have to pick up a habit to distinguish and differentiate themselves.Thats why things like Beef and all which are the distinguishing things between hindus and muslims gets highlighted just for the right wingers to make money.

Yes sir, I have been to india- Calcutta and New Delhi for couple of days. And I am Going to USA after 7 months, got it ?? And i hope that you are a learned and honorable person, just sit and ponder quietly - Is this law is actually a good one? Why not then ban hen, duck, etc etc slaughtering?? Cow is a deity of yours, fine Everyone of us honor it. But if I kick a cow anyhow and any why does that mean that deity is downed?? What about millions of cows are being slaughtered in chicago, Bangladesh, pakistan, ................................ even in indias some others state? This is a sheer Hypocritical and heinous act. It supposed to be 2012, not some 1100 A.D....

and one guy kicking a cow and running industry that lets people consume cows is not one and the same.

This law is obviously a stupid one but then we all make our rules,right?

i have lived in many foriegn countries,where i have to be in a certain way to fit in,it is normal.

Then why cant muslims in India do the same.

One funny little fact though is,i know 4 of my muslim friends who have become vegetarian.

what an irony.

In March 2010, the BJP-dominated assembly in the southern state of Karnataka (the last Indian state to pass the cow protection bill) faced vehement protests from Muslims.

There is no scripture in hindu religion that has anything against cow slaughter. Hmmmm, I thought it was a religion thingy, but apparently that is not the case.

The majority is dictating the diet of non-vegetarians primarily Muslims cause it hurts their feeling.

Lets wait for the troll squad version.

this is a state based law.afaik madhya pradesh is an hindu majority state.muslims of india have full right to challenge this law in court and also they can appeal to central government to remove this law
we all know that thousands of cows are slaughtered in u.p everyday.......

so i dunno why pakistanis and chinese are teaching us the definition of secularism.

india will be a secular state forever
btw i love cows.they are cute.
say no to meat.animals also feel pain.just think for a moment that you are killing an innocent creature just for ur taste..........

Well Well Well. The frog in that shitty well did think that was the whole world, The city bank also operates in Bd. You talked about BNP led gov, How could u even think that I know less than the newspaper? I knew wt actually happened and wt was sheer propaganda. Plz don't make me laugh with your quintessential knowledge about MY COUNTRY......

Yeah its the same shitty well which you guys keep visiting in hordes.

I work in investment banking sector as a software developer, not as a Clark in a retail banking branch.

I'd rather belive UN report on how minorities are treated in Bangladesh than some punks in PDF.

Secular Indian State ?
When u say secular country,that country should take all religions sensitivities to consideration...

And Hinduism is also a religion.and hinduism was born in india and have 1 billion followers,so india being a secular state it has to sensitive to Hindu religion sentiments....

So that makes India Secular Country....any more doubts???

Here milk prices are going up...few days back milk price has been hiked,if cows are being slaughtered in the name of some invisible human delusion?who will give the milk?...
Milk price will go up...
BTW,to Indian muslims(refering to those converted Hindus),u won't die if u don't eat beef or slaughtering a innocent animal
By the way ,i don't know wat type of happiness humans get by killing a animal....if u don't have the power to create a living being,then u don't have the right to kill one...

So i guess i answered some interent warriors ,especially chineese dragon,battling in the forum from ages

There is no scripture in hindu religion that has anything against cow slaughter. Hmmmm, I thought it was a religion thingy, but apparently that is not the case.

The majority is dictating the diet of non-vegetarians primarily Muslims cause it hurts their feeling.

Lets wait for the troll squad version.

HI,im from the heart of karnataka ,the state u just Highlighted...
Don't worrry,muslims will follow he rule ,if they protest,they will face the same number of people protesting against them...

they know it and they are moving on,now its ur time to move on...

on the highlighted part: u mean to say ,if muslims dont slaughter a animal and eat it,their feelings are hurt???
Wat about the animals,which is as innocent as a 1 year old baby which u kill without mercy in the name of some delusion???
once again,if u don't have the power to create a living being,u dont have the right to kill one....

As an Indian, I think that this is uncalled for. I don't attach any special importance to beef, though my parents do. Why should cow slaughter be banned if the slaughter of other animals is allowed?

At the same time, I think it is funny people from Pakistan area raising questions on secularism in India. Is it because they don't have such a concept in their country that they have to try and pull it down when it is there in another?

Back
Top Bottom