What's new

If Burma won’t take Rohingya Muslims why won’t you, Bangladesh?

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
If Burma won’t take them why won’t you, Bangladesh?

The calamitous ordeal of the Rohingya community of Myanmar has received woefully inadequate media coverage over the years despite having been declared one of the most hectored, tyrannised and aggrieved tribal minorities in the world by the United Nations.

This observable fact can be unswervingly attributed to the media oligopolists; they are undermining the copious atrocities being committed against Muslims in different parts of the world in general, as part of a ploy to legitimise the ongoing war on terrorism.

For decades these ill-fated people have been shunned, browbeaten and subjected to ghastly physical and emotional abuse by the Government of Myanmar. This same government still maintains that Muslims who verbally communicate in a local dialect of Bengali is reason enough to believe that they are illegal Bengali immigrants!

This unsubstantiated assertion is effectively countered by the veracity of the centuries-long existence of this specific ethnic group in the Arakan region. Conversely, the Government of Bangladesh contends that the Rohingyas are natives to Myanmar with no ties, whatsoever, to Bangladesh.

This sour predicament has resulted in the denial of citizenship and insufficient access to basic rights and privileges including food, shelter and education to the Rohingyas by the central government of Myanmar. The former are subjugated in different ways some of which include absolute and unwarranted exclusion from the larger Buddhist communities, forced toilsome labour, prohibition from working in either the private or the governmental sector and/or enlisting in either the police or the armed forces. There is also a stern restriction on each family for having not more than two children by virtue of Burmese law.

Be that as it may, in spite of all obstacles and adversities the Rohingyas have managed to placidly dwell in synchronisation with the Buddhist Rakhines in the Arakan region. While many have fled to countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Pakistan to escape oppression, the bulk of the younger generation has relocated to the adjacent state of Bangladesh which is currently home to an estimated 300,000 Rohingyas.

Since Bangladesh is over-populated and bereft of resources, the Bangladeshi government has finally banned Rohingya refugees from entering into the country. Therefore the majority of dispossessed Rohingyas are now apprehended by the Bengali border security personnel while attempting to cross over and are afterwards battered and discarded into the UN refugee camps situated alongside the Bangladesh-Myanmar border.

It is estimated that approximately 30,000 Rohingyas currently reside in these camps; those fortunate enough to have lived through the tribulation seek refuge in villages located at a convenient distance.

It was not until recently that the troubles of the Rohingyas spiralled out of control. The incident which led to the mass genocide and ethnic cleansing of this already heinously maltreated race was the alleged rape and murder of a Buddhist woman by three Rohingya males. Immediately afterwards, the local Arakanese Buddhist population in cahoots with the help of political leadership and law enforcement officials of Myanmar, retaliated by brutally assaulting, torturing, raping and murdering scores of innocent Rohingyas including men, women and children while concomitantly annihilating their homes and businesses.

The recurrent violence and blood-shed have compelled large numbers of Rohingyas to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh in boats and fishing trawlers some of whom are reported to have been ravaged by freebooters whilst on the way. Nonetheless, the Bangladeshi government is reluctant to accommodate more of them in lieu of the aforementioned reasons and the emphatic denial of Burmese citizenship to the Rohingyas.

Consequently they are forced to retreat to their native soil wherein they are more than likely to be victimised by the vicious local Buddhist inhabitants.

The refusal of the Bangladeshi Government to open its borders for the Rohingyas irrespective of escalating global pressure and scrutiny has sparked a furore within and outside the country as this conduct infringes upon more than just a few international UN laws pertaining to refugees.

According to a recent survey conducted by The Daily Star, the overpowering majority of the general public of Bangladesh, as opposed to the government, are in favour of the Rohingyas being granted safe passage into the country. Many of these individuals have displayed auspiciousness candidly by forming and/or joining different support groups for the Rohingya populace on Facebook and other social networking sites.

Given the dourness of the wretched plight of our Rohingya brothers and sisters it is vital that all Muslim nations should conjointly endorse this worthy cause by pressing for Bangladesh to open its borders for them, in turn, pledging munificent moral and financial contribution for their subsequent rehabilitation. Additionally they should ensure the Bangladeshi government that each, in its own right and individual capacity is agreed upon sharing the burden by offering to allow and to accept into its domain as many Rohingya refugees as possible. This enterprise is bound to profoundly assuage if not completely resolve the misery of these tormented, destitute and vulnerable souls.

one of my school teacher back in 80s was burmese muslim migrant living in pakistan.
He must be very happy of his decision today.

Because BD is already over populated!! Don't force refugee taking in on BD, it will hurt BD economy... Besides Im sure India can too???

one of my school teacher back in 80s was burmese muslim migrant living in pakistan.
He must be very happy of his decision today.

i had only one hindu teacher... thats it

Because BD is already over populated!! Don't force refugee taking in on BD, it will hurt BD economy... Besides Im sure India can too???

Because India is not over populated?

ANyways India already holds thousands of Burmese nationals..

yes india can do it bur them to escape they have to travel all the way up north first with in bangladesh territory.Other thing india can do is to militarily intervene.India already has experience with interventions.

Here you go - But not on a massive scale. The title might sound negative but look at what the UNHRC chief has said in the article below - "We are totally satisfied with what the Indian government has done for them"

Stateless Burmese Rohingyas lament India 'hardships'
Continue reading the main story Related StoriesUS is pressed on Burma minoritiesBurma's persecuted Muslims
Since last week, more than 1,000 Rohingya people displaced from Burma have been camping in the Indian capital, Delhi, seeking refugee status from the UN refugee agency. Over the years, thousands of Rohingyas - a Muslim minority group in Burma - have fled to India to escape persecution. Avinash Dutt of the BBC Hindi service speaks to some to them to find out about their problems.

MOHAMMED ALAM

I live in Jammu in Indian-administered Kashmir along with my wife and seven children. To make ends meet, I deal in scrap plastic.

I had come to Delhi to seek refugee status from the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), but we didn't get it. Now we are going back. Unlike in Burma, my life is safe in India, but there is nothing else.

Here, our children don't get admission in schools and we are not allowed to bury our dead in graveyards.

I believe if I have refugee status, my life will be better. If I have a refugee card, we would be entitled to some monthly allowances and our children would get to see school from the inside and our dead would become eligible for a grave.

Whatever happens, I will not go back to Burma. There they will imprison me or bury me alive.

MOHAMMED YASIN

People talk about democratic reforms in Burma, about [opposition leader] Aung San Suu Kyi. But I tell them that we will go back to Burma when we feel that it is safe to return.

The military still rules Burma. You have to pay a tax on every egg that your hen lays. I fled Burma because I was asked to pay a large sum as tax to get married.

Here, you can move around till 10pm but in Burma you cannot venture out after 6pm. We cannot even stand in front of our homes.

In India, I have no identity so my 11-year-old son cannot get admission in a school. The asylum seeker card the UNHCR has given me is useless; it does not even bear my father's name.

If the UNHCR grants me refugee status, I will have a card that will have my father's name on it. My son will get admission in some school then.

MOHAMMED NOOR

My family used to own a cloth shop in Burma. Last year, I had a fight with the owner of an adjoining shop who is Buddhist. My entire family was attacked.

I ran away, crossed mountains and swam across a river to reach India.

I went to Calcutta first. There, I did some odd jobs, saved some money to reach Aligarh [in Uttar Pradesh] where I had heard that a few of my relatives lived. I don't know where the rest of my family is.

Like us, many non-Muslims have also fled Burma for India. Buddhists and other non-Muslims have been given refugee status here. So they get monetary assistance and other facilities, but because we are not recognised as refugees, we don't get anything.

I cannot think of going back to Burma. They will shoot me there. I still have bullet marks on my body.

MOHAMMED HAMID

In India, I have been living in Aligarh town for the last couple of years. The card that the UNHCR has given us is useless.

Many of the people who got refugee status earlier have gone abroad, many of them are getting monthly allowances.

I am told that if I get refugee status, I can get an identity card, I can get a passport as well.

Without the refugee status my life is very tough. If we get sick, we cannot get treatment in a government hospital unless we pay.

I ran away from Burma because I was not allowed to go to school or do the trade of my choice. Life here is not easy either, but it is safe.

MONTESERAT FEIXAS VIHE, UNHRC CHIEF OF MISSION

While Rohingya people are concerned about their security and safety in India, the government of India has assured us that they will not deport them.

On the basis of the asylum-seeker card issued by the UNHCR, the government has agreed to grant them long-stay visas.

The long-stay visas will give them a legal validity and will also entitle them to all the basic facilities like schooling and health.

We are totally satisfied with what the Indian government has done for them.

BBC News - Stateless Burmese Rohingyas lament India 'hardships'

They are not taking their own Muslim immigrant who are killing our brother in north-east India and you are expecting that they take those Rohingya Muslim,

why US, UN, NATO dont take an action? Why they only can see Syria, Libiya? Why not Kashmir, Burma, Palestine?

I believe Rohingya's are of Bangladeshi ethnicity, besides they have no connections to India specially the North East Indians. It becomes the prerogative of Bangladesh to partially absorb some of their immigrants, also the one's who are in India or to stay silent and let the events take its course.

Burma's genocide should not be rewarded. If Bangladesh takes the Rohingyas, they should get the Arakan province alongwith.

I don't get this? they reproduce like bunnies and illegally cross country fences and pollute other people's land and when asked to leave they ask for their illegally occupied land? this kind of reasoning means the scores of pole vaulters who have come to India will start demanding Indian land or will create problems to the ethnic inhabitants of that place.

The only solution is to drive them all towards their land of origin, fence up the whole border and whoever is adamant to not leave should be sent to desolate refugee camps.

Respecting your views of not letting refugees to an already overpopulated country .. just asking you to go back in history say about 41 years, you need to understand the situation India was facing with the influx of millions and millions of aggrieved refugees and making arrangements and providing food and shelter for those many ... it would have been a logistical nightmare for India and one of the prime reasons for India to intervene

If you are not hyporcrite then you would surely understand the similarity and the magnitude of problem that refugee influx would have caused to India back then !

Why are people calling it a 'genocide'? is what I don't understand more people have died in Karachi in last few months compared to this.

Why are people calling it a 'genocide'? is what I don't understand more people have died in Karachi in last few months compared to this.

How much have died in Karachi?? Do we call 5000 of children in India dying everyday a genocide?

Back
Top Bottom