What's new

ICC gives in to BCCI, says DRS won't be forced upon India

Fuego

BANNED
Reaction score
ICC gives in to BCCI, says DRS won't be forced upon India : Sports, News - India Today

ICC gives in to BCCI, says DRS won't be forced upon India

After bowing down to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) once again on the controversial Decision Review System, the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Thursday said that it will not force India to accept it in bilateral series.

On Wednesday, the ICC Board did not ratify its Chief Executives Committee's recommendation for universal application of the DRS in Tests and ODIs after the BCCI reiterated its opposition to the technology.

The ICC's new chief executive, Dave Richardson, defended the decision after taking over from fellow South African Haroon Lorgat.

"I don't think (the decision) is negative at all. We'll see DRS in the majority of series and there would be no sense in forcing anything upon anybody. The point is that the BCCI need to make that decision for themselves. It's never good to take anyone kicking and screaming to do anything," the 52-year-old former Test player said.

"The introduction of technology has always been controversial... slowly but surely that's changed and I think we're pretty much at that point where everyone is accepting, certainly at international level." Richardson also denied that dealing with financially powerful India would be his main preoccupation as chief executive.

"The bottom line is, the ICC Board determines policy for the ICC going forward. I don't think my job will involve any special negotiations with India. A lot is made of that but there are 10 full members and I think our task is a lot more simple and a lot more practical than these high-level talks you might imagine," the former wicket-keeper said.

Richardson took up his post alongside new ICC president Alan Isaac of New Zealand, who takes over the reins from India's Sharad Pawar, at the conclusion of the ICC's five-day Annual Conference in Kuala Lumpur.

The two will have to steer the sport through a tricky period as it tries to recover from spot- fixing scandals and rationalise the demands of its three competing formats.

Reforms on the way

The 60-year-old Isaac, a former New Zealand Cricket chief, became the eighth president of the ICC and will be the last to hold the post in its current shape as it will become a ceremonial role once he steps down in 2014.

Over the past two years, Isaac has been the ICC's vice president, a position that the body plans to abolish by amending the constitution.

The amendment envisages the appointment of a chairman, who will hold office for two years, as the head of the ICC. "I recognise that there is, of course, much hard work and much progress needed if we are to maintain the game's current healthy state," Isaac said.

All I have to say that the other boards are a bunch of sissies and they don't have any right to whinge about it when they chose not to have a vote on this. They could have outvoted BCCI. In any case they didn't use DRS in the SL vs Pak series, despite both of these countries agreeing to it. BCCI is clearly not the only problem.

Money makes the mare go.

I still have not understood BCCI reason to oppose.

Former England captain Tony Greig has slammed the BCCI for not adhering to the spirit of cricket and for pushing Twenty20 ahead of Tests for financial and for opposing the Decision Review System. Delivering MCC’s Colin Cowdrey Spirit of Cricket lecture at Lord’s, he said Tests were being marginalised because the influential India was interested in “generating billions of dollars” by monopolising on the success of IPL and Champions League T20.

Greig slams BCCI for lack of sporting spirit - Hindustan Times
:rofl: :rofl:

I am sorry but I don't enjoy becoming a citizen of a country that is bullying its way in Cricket . Bullying has never been historically India's way and should never be . I am not comfortable with this but somehow some Indians take pride in it.

Never cry again if you get pushed and bullied around by China then .Even I don't understand the opposition to DRS from the BBCi. But whatever it is , it is at least good that other nations can use it in their matches .

Cricket will be dead for me if everything begins to be dominated by one country , even if it's my own .

Back
Top Bottom