What's new

IAF unwilling to phaseout Flying coffins MiG-21

I m not questioning abilites of 21, of course its a great machine if its reliable & as aimarraul said still a great A/C with upgraded radars
Bison can give a hard time to F-16A :agree:

Hey is PAF still operating Chengdu F-7 Skybolt?

Yeah their safety record is great
They will be replaced by Thunder :china::pakistan:

Wow thats great, I dont know, well There only one way to ground Mig 21... Build LCA , Well 2014 will be the right time to ground these things...

This is stupid, it has already taken a lot of lives & still they don't want to ground it, Hats for the pilots who sit in these machines & moreover there are only a few cases in which pilot survived the MiG-21 crash & there have been some Bison Crashes as well, are they waiting for whole MiG-21 fleet to crash :hitwall:
They must at least think about lives of the pilots

Mam i agree with you. IAF doing big mistake by putting our pilots life at risk. Mam do u know america too do have migs? American pilots said that mig21 are worlds most danger jet fighter. They said keeping mig21 in air is most toughest job. They said flying mig21 is inviting death as every time they flown mig21 someway or other problem did occur. Although mam mig21 bison is totally different jet fighter and it gave tough fight in red flag too. IAF not phasing out old mig21 because for simple reason. We have two neighbours. Mig21 will get phased out only when LCA, MRCA gets inducted. Starting date is 2010 to 2011. i know till then most of IAF pilots lifes at risk mam.

I m not questioning abilites of 21, of course its a great machine if its reliable & as aimarraul said still a great A/C with upgraded radars
Bison can give a hard time to F-16A :agree:

Yep mam. Our mig21 bison gave tough fight to F-16 flown by american air force. The F-16 flown by america were advanced then F-16 flown by pakistan. Mam india went upgrading mig29s instead of mig21. 68 mig29s will be upgraded by level of mig-35 by 2013. Russia told that two days ago. Upgrading mig not an answer mam as even our mig bison did crashed. The only sollution is LCA and MRCA.

The indians have and know the replacement for their remaining 160 mig21s

Its the LCA Tejas.

Even with a usa engine and israeli radar they stil cannot get this to operational level before 2011-2012.

Shockingly slow progress esp wen india has so much outside help.

The indians have and know the replacement for their remaining 160 mig21s

Its the LCA Tejas.

Even with a usa engine and israeli radar they stil cannot get this to operational level before 2011-2012.

Shockingly slow progress esp wen india has so much outside help.

The replacement is the MRCA not the LCA. The IAF made a decision that they cannot rely on the LCA so they are planning without it.If it comes up great if not they it is ok too.BTW there is no Israeli radar on the LCA.

This is the fault of the lost decade in the 90's when India defaulted on her loans and had no money for defense purposes.Hence the Mig 21 still flies.

Am din't the Isreali radar in Mig 21 bison kick F 16 put of the sky in Cope India 2004
MiG-21 Bison
Upgraded version for export and Indian Air Force is the first customer. Armed with Phazotron Kopyo (Spear) airborne radar, which is capable of simultaneously tracking 8 targets and engage 2 of the 8 target tracked with semi-active radar homing air-to-air missile such as Vympel R-27. The radar also enable to fighter to deploy active radar homing air-to-air missile such as Vympel R-77 when additional channel is incorporated. Russian advertise has claimed that this version is equivalent to early F-16. It performed well against F-15 and F-16s of the USAF during Indo-US joint air exercises.

Probably that is why.?
More over they have had a series of refits and upgrades.
They can stay for a couple of years longer, I guess.

Upgrades specifications of IAF MiG-21 Bison

9cc68ca149a8ec9c7f4a38ac442f580d.jpg

*Super Kopyo X-band pulse Doppler radar.

*R-27AE AA-10 Alamo-E Active radar homing version. Range 1 km to 130 km. Weight 349 kg.
a79ccc2b696d6a07e7ed231d2c4a40bc.jpg

*AA-11 "Archer",
dc991cdadf506481f2d1bb6512dc1d84.jpg

*integrated BVR attack capability with R-77 BVRAAMs and PGMs
5e689484c08cd9438541110d11716007.jpg

* composites,nosecone, canopy, single-piece windshield and new canopy made of stressed acrylic .
8065d463e5a103e969f95a8ce999d8b4.jpg

*conformal countermeasure dispensers.

*New sophisticated EW suite comprises of a DRDO Tarang RWR/RHAWS, "Tempest" internal Self-protection jammer (SPJ) and the conformal CMDS.

*Sextant's TOTEM RLG-INS with NSS-100P GPS embedded GPS receivers

*El-Op HUD.

*infrared search and track system (IRST) from Russia's URALs optical-mechanical plant.

*Sextant MFD-55 LCD displays.

*autopilot, radar warning receivers (RWR), digital flight data recorder,

*HOTAS controls,

*new HF/VHF/UHF radios,

*new electric power supply system,

*A modified version of this RWR will be used aboard the Su-30MKI.

*SURA helmet mounted sight, used by Flanker pilots,

28c139d43a0ab23c9651018e0cf691f7.jpg

:tup: :tup:

Last edited:
Whats the maximum range of an R-77 fired from Bison? i know it can't use R-77 at full range...

As far as I understand, phasing out doesn't happen over night. It requires time. Starting from 2014 it will take a couple of years to phase out Mig21's and induct MRCA.

Still, IAF will remain under pressure all this time

Whats the maximum range of an R-77 fired from Bison? i know it can't use R-77 at full range...

KYPO tracking radar can track multiple targets up to 100km away !
so may be 70 or 90 km ! :)

surely not the 175 km variant (R-77M1) ! ;)

Last edited:
Hey is PAF still operating Chengdu F-7 Skybolt?

simply just because our f-7s made in late 80s and f-7pgs in 90s so air frame is now avioncs and engines are new every thing is difrent here.but IAF migs bullets in 60s.

Back
Top Bottom