What's new

IAF says 'No' to Army's bid to control attack helicopters

So it looks like the IA is going to have to push for their own Apache fleet- I've heard this has been on the cards for a while. But if it happened I would be both pleased but annoyed that it had to come to this. The Indian military has been making good strides in joint-operations of late, I guess it's going to take a little longer for all these things to come together-but it is going in the right direcion!

So it looks like the IA is going to have to push for their own Apache fleet- I've heard this has been on the cards for a while. But if it happened I would be both pleased but annoyed that it had to come to this. The Indian military has been making good strides in joint-operations of late, I guess it's going to take a little longer for all these things to come together-but it is going in the right direcion!

But abing, don't u think that with limited budget of our armed forces, there should never be a capability overlap, i mean if IAF is going for medium/heavy weight attack helos than it makes no sense that IA also goes for the same category attack helos, instead they should just increase the no. of LCH.

I think this old Soviet tactic of air force handling attack helicopters is primitive and should be eliminated. Most of the modern armies including those of NATO handle their own attack helicopters and use air force only for fixed wing jets for combat and transport both helicopter and fixed wing again.

WTF is wrong with IAF?

Does it fear that it would be made irrelevant or something?

Just don't understand what's wrong with the marshals.

IAF handling attack helicopters is an old system and must hand over all gunships to Army aviation who need it more.

Nobody wants to loose power, once you have it.

But what power would they lose?

The air force is any nation's last conventional resort in any way. In fact, they occupy the highest position in the defense pyramid.

Personally, I feel that IAF has a very immature strategic thinking and is limited.

But what power would they lose?

The air force is any nation's last conventional resort in any way. In fact, they occupy the highest position in the defense pyramid.

Personally, I feel that IAF has a very immature strategic thinking and is limited.

Giving up the helicopter fleet, means cutting IAFs importance in half as well and it sets a precedent, if IA can get more of IAFs aircrafts, why not IN as well. They already are asking for shorebased AWACS, possibly tankers, so why not the costal fighter squads with maritim attack capablity too?
So while 22 x combat helicopters don't sound much, the end could be worse for them, at least that's what they might fear.
What I wonder is, that IAF so openly says no. Shouldn't that be MoDs decision?

Giving up the helicopter fleet, means cutting IAFs importance in half as well and it sets a precedent, if IA can get more of IAFs aircrafts, why not IN as well. They already are asking for shorebased AWACS, possibly tankers, so why not the costal fighter squads with maritim attack capablity too?
So while 22 x combat helicopters don't sound much, the end could be worse for them, at least that's what they might fear.

Sancho, there is not a slightest doubt in anybody's mind that with the induction of Rafale, LCA, FGFA, AMCA, etc. IAF (in around 10-15 yrs. time) will be among the top 3 AF's in the world & will be a power to recon with, so this attitude (if it is) of losing power to other armed forces sounds immature, even when IAF has completed 80 years of being a truly world class AF. I think the job should be perfectly distributed b/w the three armed forces, what is the need of the army (i.e. all rotatory wings) should be given to them & what is the need of IN (i.e. maritime combat jets) should be given to the navy, this is the way our armed forces can fight a war or any other emergency with the fullest force. Also, i have said many times, that the solution for all these fuss is a CODS & a more synergy b/w the armed forces. If one part of our armed forces don't have any trust on the other part, than how the hell we will defeat a formidable enemy???

Solution soon on Army, IAF spat over choppers: Antony

The issue between the Army and the IAF for controlling attack helicopters was a “family problem” and the government was in the final stages of finding a solution for it, Defence Minister A K Antony said here today.

The Army has been demanding the control over attack and medium-lift helicopters saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF, which operates two squadrons of Russian-origin Mi-35/25 attack choppers, has been opposing the demand.

“There is no tussle and there is no war. These are all family problems and we will find a solution. We are in the final stages of finding the solution amicably. Don’t go beyond that,” he told reporters on the sidelines of the Territorial Army Day parade.

The Minister was asked if the Defence Ministry has rejected Army’s demand to have its own fleet of attack and medium-lift helicopters, over which the two services are engaged in a battle.

The IAF had recently said that it has rejected the Army’s demand to have their own attack and medium-lift helicopters contending that the country can’t afford to have these “little air forces” growing up to do their “own things”.

Commenting on its proposal, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh said the Defence Ministry holds a very “sympathetic view” about the demand raised by the Army for having its own attack helicopters.

It is still under the active consideration of the Ministry and it is not correct for anyone to say that the Ministry has shelved the Army’s proposal in this regard, he said.

Recently, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne had said “little air forces” cannot be allowed to grow up asking if the Coast Guard asks for submarines, will it be given the assets by the Navy.

Solution soon on Army, IAF spat over choppers: Antony | idrw.org

Hardly believe army without attack helicopters

Why not? IN, Coast Guard and the IA should have their own aerial wings - other countries do have them. IAF can still be the big boys.

Back
Top Bottom