What's new

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Concerned over recurring problems in MiG-27 combat aircraft engines, Indian Air Force is planning to phase out these Russian-origin planes by 2017.

IAF operates about 80 (four squadrons) of these aircraft in its fleet and due to the recurring problems in their engines, it had to ground all of them after a crash about two years ago.

"We are planning to phase out the MiG-27s, of which around 80 are still in service, by the year 2017," senior IAF officials said.

IAF has deployed two squadrons each of the aircraft in Jodhpur in Rajasthan and Kalaikunda in West Bengal at present.

About two years, a study was conducted to check the problems in the engines of the aircraft and it was found that the R-29s engines have developed some defect which was very difficult to be corrected, they said.

After the report, IAF took a considered decision about retiring these aircraft from operational service in a phased manner, the officials said.

"The first to be phased out would be the two squadrons based in Kalaikunda and then by 2017, the remaining two deployed in Jodhpur would also be on their way out of the force," they said.

The squadrons based in Jodhpur had undergone upgrades at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited recently and that is why they have more life left in them, the officials said.

IAF is also planning to phase out the crash-prone MiG-21 combat aircraft around the same timeframe. MiG-23 fighter and bomber aircraft which were inducted in the 1980s have already been phased out.

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017 - Indian Express

Engine should have been changed but we stuck to it.

Anyway better and more capable planes are available if IAF desires.

Concerned over recurring problems in MiG-27 combat aircraft engines, Indian Air Force is planning to phase out these Russian-origin planes by 2017.

IAF operates about 80 (four squadrons) of these aircraft in its fleet and due to the recurring problems in their engines, it had to ground all of them after a crash about two years ago.

"We are planning to phase out the MiG-27s, of which around 80 are still in service, by the year 2017," senior IAF officials said.

IAF has deployed two squadrons each of the aircraft in Jodhpur in Rajasthan and Kalaikunda in West Bengal at present.

About two years, a study was conducted to check the problems in the engines of the aircraft and it was found that the R-29s engines have developed some defect which was very difficult to be corrected, they said.

After the report, IAF took a considered decision about retiring these aircraft from operational service in a phased manner, the officials said.

"The first to be phased out would be the two squadrons based in Kalaikunda and then by 2017, the remaining two deployed in Jodhpur would also be on their way out of the force," they said.

The squadrons based in Jodhpur had undergone upgrades at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited recently and that is why they have more life left in them, the officials said.

IAF is also planning to phase out the crash-prone MiG-21 combat aircraft around the same timeframe. MiG-23 fighter and bomber aircraft which were inducted in the 1980s have already been phased out.

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017 - Indian Express

There are discussions in Defence circles on procuring 4 Sqns of F15s

How are the 2 related? Mig 27 is a ground attack aircraft, designated for close air support also. It can carry the cluster bomb if I am not mistaken against tank formations.

The F15 is not primarily a ground attack aircraft.

How are the 2 related? Mig 27 is a ground attack aircraft, designated for close air support also. It can carry the cluster bomb if I am not mistaken against tank formations.

The F15 is not primarily a ground attack aircraft.

The Strike Eagle is, and the -K and the new Silent Eagle are serious pieces of kit.

If true it is a hell of news :D but I think it won't be. IAF will not like to increase logistic problems.
Buy more Rafales off-the-shelf will be the ideal Choise. Hey but I am nobody to decide that :D

Why only F15 i thought they were discussing about procuring UFO....

''They are always Joking''..

On Topic-Thank God..atleast IAF thought about phasing out Mig27....

IMHO mig 27's have been the most underrated aircrafts in the Indian inventory. India Built around 165 Mig27M's fondly called the bahadur, and imported another 40 from USSR. The R29 Khatchaturov engine was brilliant and ahead of its time. This 30 year old engine produced Dry thrust: 78.5 kN and 112.8Kn with afterburner. With DARE upgrades since 2002, mig 27 no longer needs to fly terrain hugging flight profile instead can reign havoc on the enemy from around 20000 ft with its accurate target acquisition via Litening pods and its PGM’s and standoff missiles.

Although not much credit has been given to the beast, it is one of the important lynch pin among others around which the much feared cold start doctrine revolves. The upgraded aircraft has a pilot friendly cockpit with state-of-Art Multi Function Display (MFD) and Head Up Display (HUD). The pilot flies "Head Up" with all the necessary NAV and attack guidance symbology presented on the HUD and superimposed on the outside world view. The Integrated Flight and Weapon Control System of the upgraded aircraft enables Hands Free (Auto Pilot) Route Flying and Auto-Weapon delivery.

Having first hand experience on this aircraft as a young engineer out of college, I know that this aircraft has much to offer than it is often implied. Pilots who fly it have immense respect for the beast. I am a big fan of this aircraft and I was very disappointed when it developed snag in the engine which caused it’s grounding.

Good Also phased out Jaguars, we need to chamge mig-21, miv 27 jaguars

No Jags will be there for 15 more years. They are DASA (Deep Penetration Strike A/cs) 6.5 Sqns after Darin -III upgrade will be something 4 gen platform. Main issue was RR thrust.

Why only F15 i thought they were discussing about procuring UFO....

''They are always Joking''..

On Topic-Thank God..atleast IAF thought about phasing out Mig27....

I think Rafale will be the last of the 4++ gen fighter we will purchase.. FGFA is the way to go now.. !!!

Good Also phased out Jaguars, we need to chamge mig-21, miv 27 jaguars

Not all Jags will be replaced- ~100 will be given extensive upgrades that mean they will remain relevant for another 15 years.

+I think the eventual plan is for the AMCA to replace the MIG-27 and Jags. For the former this is impossible as there is no way the AMCA will be ready by 2017 so it looks like the AMCA will only replace the Jags and the MIG-27s will be replaced by MKIs and Rafales.

IMHO mig 27's have been the most underrated aircrafts in the Indian inventory. India Built around 165 Mig27M's fondly called the bahadur, and imported another 40 from USSR. The R29 Khatchaturov engine was brilliant and ahead of its time. This 30 year old engine produced Dry thrust: 78.5 kN and 112.8Kn with afterburner. With DARE upgrades since 2002, mig 27 no longer needs to fly terrain hugging flight profile instead can reign havoc on the enemy from around 20000 ft with its accurate target acquisition via Litening pods and its PGM’s and standoff missiles.

Although not much credit has been given to the beast, it is one of the important lynch pin among others around which the much feared cold start doctrine revolves. The upgraded aircraft has a pilot friendly cockpit with state-of-Art Multi Function Display (MFD) and Head Up Display (HUD). The pilot flies "Head Up" with all the necessary NAV and attack guidance symbology presented on the HUD and superimposed on the outside world view. The Integrated Flight and Weapon Control System of the upgraded aircraft enables Hands Free (Auto Pilot) Route Flying and Auto-Weapon delivery.

Having first hand experience on this aircraft as a young engineer out of college, I know that this aircraft has much to offer than it is often implied. Pilots who fly it have immense respect for the beast. I am a big fan of this aircraft and I was very disappointed when it developed snag in the engine which caused it’s grounding.

The LOMAC laser rangefinder-designator of MIG 27 was not compatible to any western guided Bomb system during Kargil until Sudahrshan came.

Till 12 years back no reliable Russian Laser Guided GPBs were available which had pin point accuracy. This plane sits most of the time in BRD with service rate at 55%, severe shortage of trainers.....MIG 23 Trainers were used to compensate.

Bottom line demands too much of service, lack of spare parts Engine R-29B-200 is a 2-shaft axial-flow turbojet engine, It does not have a bypass ratio prone to compression stall. This machine has served us well.

Now we need to get a easy to maintain and latest technology

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom