What's new

I will win elections hands down: Musharraf

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
I will win elections hands down: Musharraf

Wednesday, September 27, 2006
javascript:; http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/print.asp?page=2006\09\27\story_27-9-2006_pg1_8

WASHINGTON: President General Pervez Musharraf on Monday night said he was confident that he would win elections “hands down” because he was popular in Pakistan.

Replying to a question during an interview with Fox TV whether US President George Bush was pressuring him to restore full democracy in Pakistan, Musharraf said that while Bush encouraged him to do so, he was under no pressure at all. At the same time, he said he has brought about democracy in Pakistan from the grassroots to the top tier — the parliament.

In an interview with Channel 13, Musharraf said the parliament had authorised him to stay in uniform until 2007 and he would think about leaving his military post after that.

Responding to a question, he said that the army and the intelligence agencies were subordinate to him and obeyed his orders. He said that Pakistan was not a “banana republic” and its armed forced were loyal to the country. He said that the popularity of religious parities was decreasing.

Musharraf has said that while Islamabad and Washington are “doing very well” together at the government level, the people of Pakistan are not too happy with relations with the US.

“Pakistanis are certainly for fighting terrorism, but they somehow are not happy with relations with the US,” Musharraf said. However, he added, Pakistanis understood, or were learning that relations with the US were necessary and for the benefit of both countries. “There is no doubt that the people of Pakistan are disturbed by what’s happening in the Islamic world,” he said, suggesting that the situation was exacerbated by the opening of another front in Lebanon. “It weakens all moderates including me,” he said, adding, “We should never use Islam with terrorism. Let’s not attach religion to it.”

On the hunt for Osama Bin Laden, Musharraf said the two sides had decided that Pakistan would take action on its side of the border and Afghanistan and the US on the other side. Asked if he would prevent the US from taking action against Bin Laden if there was actionable information, Musharraf repeated that the US and Pakistan were cooperating in the hunt for Bin Laden and he would decide what to do when such information came.

In an interview with Public Broadcasting System, Musharraf said his government had made a peace pact with the tribal elders of North Waziristan in a strategic move to isolate the Taliban.

He dispelled the impression that the government had caved in to the Taliban, asserting that not all people in the region were pro-Taliban. To questions about reported movement across the Pak-Afghan border, Musharraf said that Pakistan was doing a lot, but more must be done in Afghanistan.

He urged urgent redress of the Palestine issue, saying it lay at the root of all conflicts between the West and the Muslim world. He rejected a purely military solution to the “war on terror”, saying it failed to address the roots of extremism and terrorism, and called for greater efforts to ensure that Muslim populations rejected extremist influence.

* No pressure on democracy from Bush
* Will ‘think’ of shedding uniform in 2007
* Popularity of religious parties decreasing
* Pakistanis unhappy with United States
* Islam must not be attached with terrorism
* Peace accord is with tribesmen, not Taliban. Agencies

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\09\27\story_27-9-2006_pg1_8

Pakistani citizens cannot trust anyone except Musharraf, and thats seems to be the case for the majority of Pakistanis. I know for sure that Bhutto or Nawaz is not coming back, so who is left? Mullahs?

Pakistani citizens cannot trust anyone except Musharraf, and thats seems to be the case for the majority of Pakistanis. I know for sure that Bhutto or Nawaz is not coming back, so who is left? Mullahs?

If that is so Webby, why not allow the Pak. people the opportunity to elect their president? If Musharaff is so confident of winning, he should run and if not than he should not engage in idle boasts.

If Pak. people want Bhutto or Nawaz or the Mullahs or Musharraf they should be free to choose among them in a democratic election.

It is entirely possible that a person can support Musharaff and not be a democrat, but to proclaim support for Musharaf and claim being a democrat is bordering on hypocracy.

p.s. i do think Mush. has done a very good job but he should commit to fighting an election or announce a departure date with elections for others who do wish to contest.

When the time is right, why not?

Our election turnouts are low. We are at war with militancy in the west. We're faced with dangers, internal and external.

Plus the Pak constitution says no military officer can run for elections till he has spent 2 years out of service doing nothing. That's an awful long time for things to go south. Perhaps later when something better for Pak is insured I'd ask Mushy to run for the premiership too.

If that is so Webby, why not allow the Pak. people the opportunity to elect their president? If Musharaff is so confident of winning, he should run and if not than he should not engage in idle boasts.

If Pak. people want Bhutto or Nawaz or the Mullahs or Musharraf they should be free to choose among them in a democratic election.

It is entirely possible that a person can support Musharaff and not be a democrat, but to proclaim support for Musharaf and claim being a democrat is bordering on hypocracy.

p.s. i do think Mush. has done a very good job but he should commit to fighting an election or announce a departure date with elections for others who do wish to contest.

couldn't of said it better myself.

the truth is mushy can probably win a seat from rawalpindi...with the help of his friend sheikh rashid....or a seat from karachi with the help of mqm.....that in reality is the total sum of mushy's democratic base. Had it been any larger mushy would have taken his uniform off long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom