What's new

I LOVE SCIENCE

Comet Pan-STARRS is on its way! This NASA graphic shows the progression of Pan-STARRS through march 2013.
The comet could potentially shine as bright as the Big Dipper and be visible to the naked eye, so keep looking out this March!
53168454833921852042731.jpg

427219_326291727472521_824584329_n.jpg

The little glint at the top of the disk is a lake on Titan as the Sun rises. The alien lake reflects sun light just like all the lakes on Earth.

379260_314964438605250_1915033190_n.jpg

All our marbles in the sky.

The pale blue d0t

paleblue_custom.jpg

It’s the twentieth anniversary of the famous “pale blue ***” photo – Earth as seen from Voyager 1 while on the edge of our solar system (approximately 3,762,136,324 miles from home). Sagan’s words are always worth remembering:

Look again at that ***. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar,’ every ‘supreme leader,’ every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there — on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a ***. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue ***, the only home we’ve ever known.

amazing info mate.i think I will make up for the space knowledge I have missed in the past (because all my strength got diverted in defence)

282842_313385512096476_2073657496_n.jpg

sun rise in mercury, artist's rendering

424173_314933711941656_1562108734_n.jpg

Skywalker's epic sunset might actually be possible on Kepler 16b, a planet in orbit of a binary star system.

Photographer Uda Dennie took this photograph of a drop of water balanced in the head of this jumping spider, in his garden, in Batam Island, Indonesia.
40559054850158517085746.jpg

It has total eight eyes.
:woot::woot:

72651548917498462599151.jpg

This is supernova remnant W49B. It is located about 26,000 light-years from Earth, and as we see it it is approximately 1,000 years old. Compared to other supernova remnants of similar type and age, it is distorted in an usual way. Astronomers believe that it is distorted because it is in the infant stages of of forming a black hole - the very first time this has been observed.
28534355082810827153822.jpg

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7472/55597955083721827062730.jpg

>
55597955083721827062730.jpg

62922551567631530919105.jpg

"The first bionic eye is here!
After years of research, the first bionic eye has seen the light of day in the United States, giving hope to the blind around the world.

Developed by Second Sight Medical Products, the Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System has helped more than 60 people recover partial sight, with some experiencing better results than others.

Consisting of 60 electrodes implanted in the retina and glasses fitted with a special mini camera, Argus II has already won the approval of European regulators. The US Food and Drug Administration is soon expected to follow suit, making this bionic eye the world's first to become widely available."

Don't you ever DARE to make this thread a dead thread, this is the most awesome thread to ever come into existence in this forum.

Here I will contribute too, I will write my own version of scientific philosophy, I will do it regularly and I have much to share and i guess it is time to share it with the rest of the world :)

We are nothing but the neurons of our body, everything is just attached to it

brain_cns.jpg

Yep, this is firmly what I believe in, and for the following reasons:

1- One can only be proclaimed truly dead if Neurons in the body die, for instance if we can make an artificial kidney, artificial heart and artificial lungs, you will still live, you will still be you, and generally you will function normally if these devices are kept in order.

However if brain dies through either hypoxia, ischemia or any other mechanism, you will die, and you as a sentient being will seize to exist, Brain death is regular death is just that we are making the rest of the body function, and thus your body only exists and not YOU.

2- Neurons do not regenerate, and they do not replicate, you have them only once, once they are gone they are never coming back. And day by day you are losing some of them, little by little you are dying. We store our memories in neurons, we give command for the body to function through neurons and we certainlly are social and aware if ourexostence through them, of course I mean specifically your Neo-Cortex and the rest of the gray matter in your body by that but let us not get into details. Take Alzhemier's for example, your Substantia Nigra (Black substance, yeah science is racist) begins degrading, suddenly the person you used to know is not the same anymore. Memory is gone and one day even function is gone. And once that happens it could lead to death, this further asserts that you are nothing but the collection of neurons inside your body, rest of the things are just connected to it, for the sole purpose of sustaining it.

3- if by any chance the channel of which your brain communicates with the rest of the body is broken (think any type of plagia) that part no longer becomes part of your body, it is attached yes, it is sustained yes, but it it not YOURs anymore.

4- Theoretically speaking if you can provide an optimum solution for the brain to exist in ( Say a glucose and oxygen enriched solution and some how managed to replicate cellular absorption in them) and provided a neurotic electrical computerized connection you can still remain to exist as you would always do, sure albight minor changed your cognition will be maintained.

I can go on forever but I believe I have reasserted my point even, just a thought to ponder on. In the end the saying "A mind is a terrible thing to waist" seems more real than ever.

Back
Top Bottom