What's new

How Islamicised is the Pakistan army?

STOCKHOLM, July 9 (IslamOnline.net) – The European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR) ruled that Jihad (striving in the cause of Allah) in Islam is limited by some criteria that have nothing to do with terrorism, asserting the legitimacy of resisting occupation of motherlands and warding off ethnic cleansing.

Wrapping up its 11th session held in the Swedish capital Stockholm from 1-6 July, which was chaired by Dr. Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the council said that Jihad in Islam falls under several types. Among these types are struggling against one's cravings, teaching people the message of Islam and clearing all stereotypes, using money, science, technology and even using the Glorious Qur'an, namely, spotlighting its noble verses which make clear the true meaning of Jihad.

As for the Jihad in the battlefield, it is fairly legitimate in self-defense and averting aggression on home countries, the council said, asserting also that all Muslim scholars and jurists are on board that Jiahd is legitimate in warding off any kinds of slavery, ethnic cleansing, military occupation and religious persecution.

The council also said that one should not resort to Jihad unless they exhausted all other peaceful means, noting that civilians and their possessions should come to no harm or sabotage in accordance with the teachings of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) and the righteous Caliphs.

"Jihad in Islam has nothing to do with the reckless practices of a handful of people, which led to more suffering and bloodshed," the council said, pointing out that "Jihad can by no means be bracketed with terrorism as circulated by some media."

It further gave the contemporary definition of terrorism as "the illegitimate and organized use of violence and threats with the aim of killing innocent people, assassinating figures, taking hostages, destroying properties and even polluting the environment whether by an individual, organization or a country."

"But occupation is the worst form of terrorism," it added. "And that is why resisting occupation is not terrorism as stipulated by international law and conventions."

The council exhorted Muslim immigrants, particularly in the West, "to live up to their duties of citizenship, including respecting laws, maintaining peace and public security and play a pivotal role in developing and reforming their societies."

It also urged Muslim youths to avoid rabble-rousing and abstain from "inciting the bloodshed of innocent people or the sabotage of their properties."

Euthanasia

Meanwhile, the council also said that 'active' and 'passive' euthanasia – or mercy killing – and suicide are all forbidden in Islam.

"It is prohibited for a patient to kill him/herself or for others to kill him/her even if the patient himself allowed them to do so. The first case is nothing but suicide, while the second one is taking one's life," the council said.

'Active' euthanasia refers to giving a patient a fatal injection, as 'passive' euthanasia has to do with a negative attitude taken with the aim of hastening the death for a patient; this can be by withholding or withdrawing water, food, drugs, medical or surgical procedures, etc.

The council further ruled it is prohibited to kill a patient to prevent the spread of infections, even if it was an incurable disease such as AIDS and SARS, given that those patients, for instance, can be quarantined.

"After all, those patients are human beings and should be provided with food and medicine until he breathes his last," it said.

But the council, however, said it is permissible to take off life-support machines if the patient is clinically dead.

"These machines help patients breathe and activate their blood cycle, but if they are already clinically dead and have lost all their senses due to brain damage, it makes no sense to keep these machines running, because they cost the hospital a lot of money and might be direly needed by other patients," the council said.

The council also reiterated that human cloning is forbidden and impermissible.

Islam Online- News Section

your friends in hindustan obviously have limited knowledge.

Jihad means a struggle & submission.....it is an abstract term that revolves around struggle to be a good follower of Islam (slave of Allah SWT).

it has nothing to do with 'terrorism' or 'holy war'......of course if a Muslim country is under occupation, then it is up to the Head of State Affairs to determine whether Armed Jihad should be utilized or not.

it is good to read and learn before commenting on such affairs.

I was only responding to the question posed to non-muslims about what those terms meant to them.

I was not saying that helping others are not Jihad - I am just saying that I have never heard anyone use that term in that context before. No need to accuse people of ignorance.

Meant no insult and obviously I am willing to learn.

I was only responding to the question posed to non-muslims about what those terms meant to them.

I was not saying that helping others are not Jihad - I am just saying that I have never heard anyone use that term in that context before. No need to accuse people of ignorance.

Meant no insult and obviously I am willing to learn.

and i was merely trying to answer your question

since when and how what??

i suggest you do short or long course at PMA ;)

Xeric has done that and more Zolfiqar. I think of any of us here, he brings views that are most closely aligned with those in the Army. Lets leave it at that.

Beard is not a problem. Bringing extremist views to the job is. Beards have always been around in the Army and will remain, so will masajids in the cantonments, as well as allowing officers and men to carry on practicing. There is no bar to people practicing Islam but mixing up external influences with their official responsibilities is definitely a problem that as of late is being taken seriously at least in my opinion.

I am aware that there is more of a sensitivity on the top side. This goes with times. During Zia's times, many holding higher ranks had grown beards and even had tableeghi leanings (not to suggest that Tableegh should be discounted), yet again all of these other activities should be outside of the Army. In the recent past, I have seen a very good mix of beards and clean shaven (as if this even means anything) in various settings in Pakistan.

I think Army has gone along with the nation as time as gone by, on average, a Pakistani is a bit more aware of his religious obligations, the same trend carries over in the Army. I think its unrealistic to expect PA to be isolated from the very society which provides it with manpower.

Last edited:
Jihad is struggle against the evil. this evil can be within urself and could also be from outside. it does not necessarily mean armed struggle. but yes when it comes to an aggressor then there is no other option but to carry out an armed struggle.
now if someone calls me or my army 'jihadi', i will definately not mind it. Jihad is a piller of islam and u cant just take it away by carryin out some propoganda. tomorrow if someone invades my country, it wouldnt matter to me if u call me mullah, taliban, al qaeda, etc. for me that will be jihad. it will be my fight against an agressor. but here im talkin about jihad in its true spirit and not killin everyone without any reason.

Jihad is struggle against the evil. this evil can be within urself and could also be from outside. it does not necessarily mean armed struggle. but yes when it comes to an aggressor then there is no other option but to carry out an armed struggle.
now if someone calls me or my army 'jihadi', i will definately not mind it. Jihad is a piller of islam and u cant just take it away by carryin out some propoganda. tomorrow if someone invades my country, it wouldnt matter to me if u call me mullah, taliban, al qaeda, etc. for me that will be jihad. it will be my fight against an agressor. but here im talkin about jihad in its true spirit and not killin everyone without any reason.

Would a struggle against evil by a non-muslim be Jihad ?

Xeric has done that and more Zolfiqar. I think of any of us here, he brings views that are most closely aligned with those in the Army. Lets leave it at that

any Pakistani regardless of faith is my brother/sister

but the fact that he also served makes me very happy.

As I am not a regular poster on the forum due to work obligations, I am sorry for not being 'in the loop' of things.

Beard is not a problem. Bringing extremist views to the job is. Beards have always been around in the Army and will remain. There is no bar to people practicing Islam but not mixing up external influences with their official responsibilities.

yes i agree extremism on the job is a problem. But for the most part in Army it doest not exist.

But if you want my opinion, beard should be banned in the Army. I think it is unprofessional.

Soldiers are property of the State. When you become a soldier, you are pledging allegiance to the flag of the State. All soldiers should do their best to be similar in appearance. In Army you learn to set aside political ethnic and religious differences --even though most soldier are Muslims.

and i personally did not observe many soldiers with beard except a few. Most people keep mustache though which is fine. But beard should be banned in Army.

depends on your intrepretation i suppose?
me personally, I would say yes.

and besides, stuggle against evil sounds like a pretty.......human.....thing to do, doesnt it?

Its an Islamic concept, so not sure how it would apply to a non-Muslim? All we can say is that the Almighty will judge the Non-Muslim for his good or bad deeds as He would a Muslim. Secondly, it would be a noble act on his part to do so and the Muslims would be encouraged to join such a non-Muslim in these acts of struggling against such the evil.

i cant see y would God discriminate bw a muslim and a non muslim when rewardin for a gud deed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom