What's new

Hindus in Pakistan: The nowhere people

noksss

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan doesn't send just terrorists like Ajmal Kasab. They send Hindus too -- forcing them to flee if they want to save their honour and their lives.

The common Hindu is a mute spectator to the changing times and the Abbotabad, Haqqani and ISI phenomenon.

He cannot comment on the political situation of his country. He cannot vote as freely as a common Muslim Pakistani. He is constitutionally directed to vote only for the Hindu candidates in their designated constituencies.

A country that might have taken birth in 1947, but the land belonged to his ancestors for centuries. He is as much the owner of the land of the 'pure' as any other religionist. But while the 'other' religionist is free to vote and shout for his rights and participate in the mainstream activities, he for just being a Hindu is asked to live in a cocoon.

Hindu women do not display the bindi or mangalsutra out of fear. Most of the Hindu temples (except a few I saw in Karachi) have posters and calendars in place of stone images of gods and goddesses. Their kids have to learn, compulsorily Islamiyat in schools.

Even in areas like Sindh and Hyderabad, where Hindu concentration is comparatively larger, no school is allowed for minorities to teach their children their religious books and cultural values. They have to do it silently in their homes.

Hindu priests too wear half skullcaps to look like everybody else around. Identity shouldn't be disclosed, is the first step to survive.

One evening my friend and renowned human rights activist Rajesh Gogna took me to meet some of the Pakistanis who had to leave the land of their ancestors in search of dignity and freedom.

They were in tents and their kids were playing in the dirt. But their faces looked glowing with confidence and assured safety. They were smiling.

Freedom makes even the refugee souls happy.

They are all from Sindh Hyderabad, Pakistan -- 28 families, 151 persons, including women, kids and the old men

Arjun Das, their more vocal leader says, "We tried for seven years to get visas from the Indian embassy. Every year we returned with denials. It had become an annual ritual for us to travel to Islamabad, as India has no consulate in Karachi. We would wait for hours and days outside the Indian High Commission for our turn to come. And then they would say -- visa nahin milega (you won't get a visa)."

"This year, fortunately we got the visa and silently came out of Sindh, Hyderabad. We too the train to Lahore and then to the Attari border by bus. We had visa permission to visit Delhi and Hardwar, so reached here in the ashram of our Guru Baba Ghunni Das Maharaj."

Lacchmi is in her early seventies. She was playing with her grandson and said, when I asked why she chose to come to India, she said: "We have had a life full of misery and ghulami. I didn't want that for my grandchildren. They must get a chance to live as Hindus and study. It's nothing but Islamiyat teachings in schools and the entire atmosphere pushed our kids either to convert to Islam or live a rotten life worse than animals."

I met Jeevan, a 14-year-old boy. He says, "I was stopped from wearing a hanuman locket by my teachers in school. They taught Islamiyat and teased me for having a tuft. They would always use sarcastic words to belittle me before my friends, for no reason."

Abusing and cracking jokes on Hindus is a common practice. Even in their movies and plays, often Hindus are shown as lecherous, ready to do any dirty thing for money, and as spineless banias.

Sobha Ram, 65, says, "If you have money, you may survive by giving donations to Islamic organisations. But what do we have? Our honour is always at stake. We can't go to the higher authorities. We don't have any resources. We work in the farms of Muslim landlords and make a small living. But our daughters and sisters are always victims of the lust of landlords. They are forcibly converted, nikahs are solemnised without our consent and then there is nothing but darkness for us."

"Even in death they humiliate us," says Sobha Ram, "often they don't allow us to cremate our dead. Our cremation grounds are encroached upon and they tell us to bury our dead as the cremations leave a 'bad odour' that they dislike."

So far Gogna's Human Rights Defence India organisation has helped these hapless refugees from Pakistan.

Some other organisations are also chipping in.

They too are trying to make a living by selling mobile phone covers and small toys in the Old Delhi area.

They want citizenship, a place to live and start a new life.

Do we have time and a political will to hear their woes and help? Certainly there are well meaning Pakistanis, columnists and human rights activists in Islamabad and Karachi, who feel for them, write for their rights and take up their cause in Islamabad, braving the Talibnanised atmosphere.

Hats off to their efforts.

But they can just write and have such incidents mentioned. The help at ground level demands state government's intervention and a political will in Islamabad.

link:Hindus in Pakistan: The nowhere people - Rediff.com News

Pakistan is a non-secular state. We can do thing about it so end the thread

India’s Muslims adopt Hindu names

CALCUTTA — Members of India’s large Muslim minority are often adopting Hindu names and dress styles in an attempt to avoid widespread prejudice that keeps them from housing and jobs.

Shaikh Salim, a Muslim who runs a food stall in the central office district of Calcutta, uses the common Hindu name Shankar Maity and calls his stall “Shankar’s Fast Food.”

Shaokat Ali, a Muslim student who came to the city to do his master’s degree in English, tutors Hindu students using the name Saikat Das and keeps a large picture of the popular Hindu goddess Kali hanging on a wall in his room.

Jahanara Begum takes off a silver talisman embossed with ‘Allah’ in Arabic each morning, replacing it with a spot of vermilion powder on her forehead and red-and-white conch bangles of a married Hindu woman before heading to work in a fish market, where she is known as Parvati — the name of a Hindu goddess.

Analysts say there could be thousands of Muslims in Calcutta who, like these three, are quietly hiding their religious identities in order to fit in.

“In everyday life, Muslims in almost all spheres of life face a communal discrimination by powerful Hindus, and they are denied many of their basic rights and freedom in an unjustified way,” said Anjan Basu, a veteran social analyst and executive editor of Pratidin, a Bengali daily in Calcutta.

Six decades after Pakistan was carved off from British-ruled India, many Hindus believe that Pakistan was created for Muslims and that is where they belong, said Mr. Basu, who is a Hindu.

He added that communal discrimination has been “institutionalized,” with Muslims being denied employment in government and even many private sector offices, where 90 percent to 95 percent of the jobs are held by Hindus.

Many Muslims who adopted Hindu identities say they do not feel embarrassed because of their actions.

“Fifteen years ago, when I came to Calcutta in search of a job, almost all street restaurants in the city refused to employ me because I was a Muslim,” said Mr. Salim. “Some said their Hindu customers could refuse to eat at their shops if a Muslim worked there.

“But soon I met a Muslim man who worked as a cook in a Hindu-owned restaurant under a Hindu identity. I followed his advice, picked up a Hindu identity, and soon an upper-class Hindu employed me to run a food stall.”

Nearly all of Mr. Salim’s customers are Hindus, and he fears his business would suffer disastrously if his customers found out he is a Muslim.

“I know that [many Hindus] hate Muslims simply because of their religion. So, I have done nothing wrong by lying about my religious identity,” he said.

Mr. Ali, the 24-year-old university student, is troubled by his decision to hide his faith but says he had little choice after 29 guesthouse owners refused to rent him a room because of his religion. He intends to drop the pretense as soon as his finances improve.

“It pains me that I cannot tell people that I am a Muslim,” he said. “I am restlessly waiting for the day when I shall be able to get out of this religious guise.”

Some analysts worry that the deep-seated discrimination against Muslims could ultimately drive them to violence.

“As Indian Muslims strongly feel they are being unjustifiably denied their share in developing India, their grievances could snowball into severe anger against the state and society, forcing many to resort to terrorism one day,” Mr. Basu said.

But for the time being, the realities of the workplace mean that many Muslims will continue to hide their identities.

In the state of West Bengal, where the Islamic community makes up 27 percent of the population, Muslim employment in the government sector was less than 3 percent, according to a recent federally mandated study by former Judge Rajendra Sachar.

A federal minister acknowledged last week that Muslims have been victims of “religious apartheid,” both in the government and in society at large.

Discrimination against Muslims “is in the polity and the populace of the country. Worse, many of them have been implicated in fake charges of terrorism,” said Kapil Sibal, the minister of science and technology, who is a Hindu.

Good to see a premium member falling to a full member.

Pakistan doesn't send just terrorists like Ajmal Kasab. They send Hindus too -- forcing them to flee if they want to save their honour and their lives.

The common Hindu is a mute spectator to the changing times and the Abbotabad, Haqqani and ISI phenomenon.

He cannot comment on the political situation of his country. He cannot vote as freely as a common Muslim Pakistani. He is constitutionally directed to vote only for the Hindu candidates in their designated constituencies.

A country that might have taken birth in 1947, but the land belonged to his ancestors for centuries. He is as much the owner of the land of the 'pure' as any other religionist. But while the 'other' religionist is free to vote and shout for his rights and participate in the mainstream activities, he for just being a Hindu is asked to live in a cocoon.

Hindu women do not display the bindi or mangalsutra out of fear. Most of the Hindu temples (except a few I saw in Karachi) have posters and calendars in place of stone images of gods and goddesses. Their kids have to learn, compulsorily Islamiyat in schools.

Even in areas like Sindh and Hyderabad, where Hindu concentration is comparatively larger, no school is allowed for minorities to teach their children their religious books and cultural values. They have to do it silently in their homes.

Hindu priests too wear half skullcaps to look like everybody else around. Identity shouldn't be disclosed, is the first step to survive.

One evening my friend and renowned human rights activist Rajesh Gogna took me to meet some of the Pakistanis who had to leave the land of their ancestors in search of dignity and freedom.

They were in tents and their kids were playing in the dirt. But their faces looked glowing with confidence and assured safety. They were smiling.

Freedom makes even the refugee souls happy.

They are all from Sindh Hyderabad, Pakistan -- 28 families, 151 persons, including women, kids and the old men

Arjun Das, their more vocal leader says, "We tried for seven years to get visas from the Indian embassy. Every year we returned with denials. It had become an annual ritual for us to travel to Islamabad, as India has no consulate in Karachi. We would wait for hours and days outside the Indian High Commission for our turn to come. And then they would say -- visa nahin milega (you won't get a visa)."

"This year, fortunately we got the visa and silently came out of Sindh, Hyderabad. We too the train to Lahore and then to the Attari border by bus. We had visa permission to visit Delhi and Hardwar, so reached here in the ashram of our Guru Baba Ghunni Das Maharaj."

Lacchmi is in her early seventies. She was playing with her grandson and said, when I asked why she chose to come to India, she said: "We have had a life full of misery and ghulami. I didn't want that for my grandchildren. They must get a chance to live as Hindus and study. It's nothing but Islamiyat teachings in schools and the entire atmosphere pushed our kids either to convert to Islam or live a rotten life worse than animals."

I met Jeevan, a 14-year-old boy. He says, "I was stopped from wearing a hanuman locket by my teachers in school. They taught Islamiyat and teased me for having a tuft. They would always use sarcastic words to belittle me before my friends, for no reason."

Abusing and cracking jokes on Hindus is a common practice. Even in their movies and plays, often Hindus are shown as lecherous, ready to do any dirty thing for money, and as spineless banias.

Sobha Ram, 65, says, "If you have money, you may survive by giving donations to Islamic organisations. But what do we have? Our honour is always at stake. We can't go to the higher authorities. We don't have any resources. We work in the farms of Muslim landlords and make a small living. But our daughters and sisters are always victims of the lust of landlords. They are forcibly converted, nikahs are solemnised without our consent and then there is nothing but darkness for us."

"Even in death they humiliate us," says Sobha Ram, "often they don't allow us to cremate our dead. Our cremation grounds are encroached upon and they tell us to bury our dead as the cremations leave a 'bad odour' that they dislike."

So far Gogna's Human Rights Defence India organisation has helped these hapless refugees from Pakistan.

Some other organisations are also chipping in.

They too are trying to make a living by selling mobile phone covers and small toys in the Old Delhi area.

They want citizenship, a place to live and start a new life.

Do we have time and a political will to hear their woes and help? Certainly there are well meaning Pakistanis, columnists and human rights activists in Islamabad and Karachi, who feel for them, write for their rights and take up their cause in Islamabad, braving the Talibnanised atmosphere.

Hats off to their efforts.

But they can just write and have such incidents mentioned. The help at ground level demands state government's intervention and a political will in Islamabad.

link:Hindus in Pakistan: The nowhere people - Rediff.com News

What the hell Rediff, now your media blame what ever they want and you will post it here in a new thread.
get this thread delete ....

What the hell Rediff, now your media blame what ever they want and you will post it here in a new thread.
get this thread delete ....

My intention here is not create a flame war but if u Pakistanis create thread like Muslims are untouchables in India

i can show this thread to remind that u cant throw stone being in a glass house

Then I read the name Rediff.

As for insulting Hindus on tv. Anyone see that drama on Geo tv where the main story takes place in a Hindu family? Now this was a the perfect opportunity to insult Hindus because we apparently insult them in our media. But no that show glorifies Hindus.
In interior Sindh the industrial and mill owners, a lot of jageerdars are Hindus.
As for being forced to study Islamiat lmaooooo. Non Muslims can choose not to study it and take a different course.
As for humiluating them in death. Manora in Karachi, somewhere in Northern Karachi (I think near Mangophir), and a lot of places in Hyderabad and Interior Sindh openly allow cremation.

I don't know why the author had to pull cr-p out of his @ss. One needs to actually travel to Pakistan to actually see how Hindus are living and not make up facts.

hindus of pakistan the everywhere people

Ha ha what a joke. :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: Hindi is the language of 9 states and 3 union territories of Hindi heartland, how come a Sindhi and Punjabi came to speak pure Hindi when they never use and read it.

Last edited by a moderator:

As for insulting Hindus on tv. Anyone see that drama on Geo tv where the main story takes place in a Hindu family? Now this was a the perfect opportunity to insult Hindus because we apparently insult them in our media. But no that show glorifies Hindus.
In interior Sindh the industrial and mill owners, a lot of jageerdars are Hindus.
As for being forced to study Islamiat lmaooooo. Non Muslims can choose not to study it and take a different course.
As for humiluating them in death. Manora in Karachi, somewhere in Northern Karachi (I think near Mangophir), and a lot of places in Hyderabad and Interior Sindh openly allow cremation.

I don't know why the author had to pull cr-p out of his @ss. One needs to actually travel to Pakistan to actually see how Hindus are living and not make up facts.

Shanti Bhaijaan,

Kya Banane Aaye the Kya Bana baithe Kahi Mandir bana Baithe, Kahi Masjid bana Baithe Hum Se to Jaat Achi hai Parindon Ki Kabhi mandir par Jaa Baithe Kabhi Masjid Par Jaa Baithe.

the only way to get rid of it .... REPORT THREAD !

Back
Top Bottom