What's new

Hinduism and Talibanism:Did hindus destroyed Buddhist& jain temples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't need to look far. Ask any Chinese person you meet about "Guan Yin" and they will immediately know who it is.

She is probably the most popular deity in China, and in the rest of East Asia too.

Guanyin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally from the Vedas, she is actually an avatar of the Vedic deity called Avalokitesvara. Who is apparently one of the avatars of Shiva as well, if I remember correctly from Joe Shearer's post.

does this mean that the religious contact between india-china happened before buddhism?
or does it mean that the buddhism which went to china was a buddhism infused wth hinduism ?
or does it mean buddhism was a spin off to balance certain issues in hinduism ?

It is both actually. There can be both Devas (Chinese word: Shen) and ancestors in the same temple, since we traditionally worship both.

The "warrior" statue you are talking about is probably Guan Yu. (Sounds similar to Guan Yin, but there is no relation).

450px-Hehua8.JPG

In Chinese Buddhism, Guan Yu above is synonymous with the Sanskrit "Sangharama".

Oh, that's the heroic general from the Battle of Red Cliff!

Don't get me wound up now! I LUV that movie and the history behind it.

It is both actually. There can be both Devas (Chinese word: Shen) and ancestors in the same temple, since we traditionally worship both.

The "warrior" statue you are talking about is probably Guan Yu. (Sounds similar to Guan Yin, but there is no relation).

450px-Hehua8.JPG

In Chinese Buddhism, Guan Yu above is synonymous with the Sanskrit "Sangharama".
next time i pass by i shall definitel remember you and fnid out :)
does guan yu mean something like attack or aggressive?

Oh, that's the heroic general from the Battle of Red Cliff!

Don't get me wound up now! I LUV that movie and the history behind it.

You know about the Battle of Red Cliff? I am really impressed. :D

Guan Yu is one of the most popular Chinese deities as well. You'll see his statue everywhere.

You know about the Battle of Red Cliff? I am really impressed. :D

Guan Yu is one of the most popular Chinese deities as well. You'll see his statue everywhere.

I keep watching it!

My source for good Chinese historical pics is Tony Yang, who now lives in Singapore. One of my best friends.

does this mean that the religious contact between india-china happened before buddhism?
or does it mean that the buddhism which went to china was a buddhism infused wth hinduism ?
or does it mean buddhism was a spin off to balance certain issues in hinduism ?

Not sure exactly, but all these Chinese religious concepts certainly did originate from the Vedas at some point, and even the words themselves are clearly direct phonetic transliterations from Sanskrit.

Axiuluo for instance, the characters don't mean anything in Chinese. It was literally a Chinese monk trying to write down the sound of the Sanskrit word "Asura", probably several thousand years ago.

Not sure exactly, but all these Chinese religious concepts certainly did originate from the Vedas at some point, and even the words themselves are clearly direct phonetic transliterations from Sanskrit.

Axiuluo for instance, the characters don't mean anything in Chinese. It was literally a Chinese monk trying to write down the sound of the Sanskrit word "Asura", probably several thousand years ago.

thanks.. very interesting.. but i need to go and attend to my day job. i will stop by sometime and check for updates XOXO

he he my wife started reading and got scared.it took some time to get normal when we chAnged our apartment.

My brother's wife is a believer and similarly "gifted" and one of Nan's very few protege's.

I did initially pooh pooh it as hocus pocus.

The scary part came from the realisation one day that it was not.

There is a lot we don't know and I am happy in my beginner cockroach level soul evolutionary ignorance.

OPEN that thread, machaan! All will be made known.

Around 1100 when Sanatan Dharma revival started then a term is coined as Buddha as 9th Incarnation of Lord Vishnu and this somehow submerged the practices of Buddhism to Sanatan Dharma and suddenly there were downfall of Buddhism in India.

Not really, Buddha was called an avatar of Vishnu quite early except that unlike what many believe, it was to damn Buddhism, not celebrate it. The avatar of Vishnu that Buddha was claimed as was originally a malevolent one; Vishnu tricking the Asuras into following a wrong philosophy. It was also how Jains were portrayed too. Much later with Buddhism on the wane, Hindu revivalists decided to convert the malevolent avatar into a benign one to absorb a weakened faith.

Btw, Buddhists didn't really put up a fight against the Muslim invaders (not literally, spiritually) because they believed that Buddhism's time was up. This came from the Buddha himself who didn't believe that anything was forever, including his teachings & gave a time line of a 1500 years as the outer limit for his philosophy to survive. When the Muslim invaders destroyed Buddhist monasteries ( actually since some Muslim invaders had little idea of Buddhism or monasteries they attacked the walled monasteries believing it to have some sort of military importance. There exist many accounts of puzzled invaders who after slaughtering the monks, seemed surprised that there were no weapons & only libraries seemed to exist inside what they thought were fortified camps) Buddhists generally accepted their elimination passively as a matter of fate, one prophesied by the Buddha himself (the 1500 years were up...).

I'll keep that in mind. I was born in the hour of the Asura, and my first name in meat-space is the name of a famous Asura prince.

See what I mean about suave and evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom