What's new

Happy Sankranthi,Pongal and Lohri mates

HAPPY PONGAL TO ALL

Pongal-Wishes2.jpg

pongal+greeting+1.jpg

Wish you very happy Pongal wishes to all pdf members....and enjoy Pongal holidays....

Today (day 1): Happy Bogi Pongal

what is lohri dears and history of the day? ans why many names ? can someone help me?:)

what is lohri dears and history of the day? ans why many names ? can someone help me?:)

Basically its harvest festival in south India we call as Pongal ,in north they celebrating in name of sangaranthi ,lohri . In south especially in TN we celebrate the festival for 4 days its most important festival for us.

Four Days of Pongal

The celebration of the Pongal festivity continues for four consecutive days. The festival usually falls in the month of Shravan. It is basically a harvest festival that is celebrated with fervor and gaiety by the people in the Southern states of India. The harvest festival of Pongal witnesses a lot of activities. Infact, the entire South India comes alive, when it's the time for Pongal celebrations.

Four days of Pongal

Day 1: Bogi Pongal
The first day marks the beginning of a fresh start. Therefore, on this day, all the old items are discarded and thrown away.

Day 2: Surya Pongal
The term Pongal means boiling over. The second day begins with the boiling of fresh milk to an extent that it crosses the boundary of the vessel. This is one of the main traditions of the Pongal festivity. Delicious sweets are prepared for the near and dear ones. People visit the homes of their friends and relatives and exchange greetings.

Day 3: Mattu pongal
It is a day of thanking the cows and buffaloes, as they have a major role to play in the harvesting of crops. Had they not been there, it wouldn't have been possible to plough the lands. The third day witnesses the hosting of a violent bull taming contest that is more commonly referred to as Jallikattu.

Day 4: Kaanum Pongal
This is the most happening day. Known as Kaanum Pongal, the fourth day is meant for partying and freaking out with friends and relatives. People go on family picnics, eat sugarcanes and embellish their houses with beautiful Kolams.

My most favorite festival.... My lord surya dev.... Bright light of wisdom, knowledge and purity.... Happy Makar sankarathi all.... On 14th planet sun will change its position.... On every 14th jan planet sun enters in northern hemisphere.... Beautiful....

My most favorite festival.... My lord surya dev.... Bright light of wisdom, knowledge and purity.... Happy Makar sankarathi all.... On 14th planet sun will change its position.... On every 14th jan planet sun enters in northern hemisphere.... Beautiful....

Sun is not a planet*
Just thought I'd correct you, Sir.

Happy Lohri follks!! I miss sitting next to lohri bonfire with peanuts, revdis and popcorns in the chilled out night..

Sigh!! I am not even near my family.. :cry:

The day marks the celestial event (Uttarayana of sun). It is the cultural celebration on the eve of the winter solstice. Also being rabi harvest time, farmers have some money in their pockets to celebrate. It is the only major Indian festival that comes on fixed day according to solar calendar (14th January), unlike other festivals that are celebrated according to Indian lunar calendar. It is a cultural celebration which is not related to any particular god (though there are routine poojas like any auspicious day).
In Punjab they have a bonfire, in Tamil Nadu it is biggest festival and in Gujarat and Maharashtra, it is time for kite-flying.

Uttarayana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Uttarāyaṇa (उत्तरायण, উত্তরায়ণ, ઉત્તરાયણ), or Uttarayana, is the six-month period between Winter solstice (around December 22) and Summer solstice (around June 21), when the sun apparently travels towards the north on the celestial sphere. [1] But it is common to erroneously refer it to as the period between the Makar Sankranti (which currently occurs around January 14) and Karka Sankranti (which currently occurs around July 18).

Edit: Google says, it is celebrated all over India to various extents : From Sindh (Uttaran/Tirmauri) to Gangetic planes, Central India, Odisha, Bengal, to Assam ( Bhogali Bihu/ Makad-Sankranti) and Manipur. And off course from Jammu Kashmir and Punjab, to Gujarat, Maharshtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, upto Tamil Nadu.

Bhogali-Bihu.jpg

Happy_Pongal_2013_04.jpg

makar_sankranti_kites_12264.jpg

happy-lohri-2013.jpg

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom