Half of Guantanamo on hunger strike: US official

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Half of Guantanamo on hunger strike: US official
By AFP Published: April 21, 2013
WASHINGTON: More than half of the 166 detainees held at the US-run Guantanamo military prison have joined a rapidly growing hunger strike to protest their indefinite detention, an official said Sunday.

There are 84 inmates who are refusing food, including 16 on feeding tubes, five of whom are hospitalised, Lieutenant Colonel Samuel House said in a statement, adding that none had “life-threatening conditions.”
House said that as recently as Friday there were 63 inmates who were refusing to eat. On Tuesday of last week just 45 were taking part.
The hunger strikers are protesting their incarceration without charge or trial at Guantanamo in the 11 years since the prison went into use for terror suspects detained in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The hunger strikes began February 6, when inmates claimed prison officials searched their Qurans for contraband. Officials have denied any mishandling of the holy book.
An inmate detained at Guantanamo for over a decade without charge gave a graphic account of his participation in the hunger strike in a New York Times op-ed earlier this month entitled “Gitmo Is Killing Me.”
The inmate, a 35-year-old Yemeni named Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel, said he had lost over 30 pounds since going on hunger strike February 10 and that a fellow inmate weighed just 77 pounds.
“I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can’t describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way,” he wrote.
“There are so many of us on hunger strike now that there aren’t enough qualified medical staff members to carry out the force-feedings… They are feeding people around the clock just to keep up.”
Like most of the striking inmates, Moqbel has never been charged with a crime or put on trial, and is not viewed as a threat to US national security.
But he cannot be released because of a moratorium on repatriating Yemenis enacted by President Barack Obama in 2009 after a plot to blow up an airliner on Christmas Day was traced back to al Qaeda’s Yemeni franchise.

It doesn't strike me as entirely fair, either to these men or their alleged victims, that they have been allowed to languish for ten years. New laws needed to be developed and old laws, still applicable, enforced. Obama's promises to shut down Guantanamo have proved as empty as his critics always said they would be - the power of his charisma wasn't enough to convince foreigners to take the prisoners and keep them confined, nor has current U.S. civil law proved sufficient to handle matters. A push to change international law is in order, but nobody seems to want to do that.

Yet for some offenses you can't have a trial, or even charges, until the conflict is over - until the party one is at war with surrenders. Al Qaeda declared war against the U.S. in 1996 and 1998 link. OBL is dead but Al Qaeda lives on and hasn't yet done that.

I suspect the U.S. copped out of military prosecutions for political reasons, as the thought of actually executing the prisoners who were entitled to execution under military law was seen as repugnant.

well good, let's hope they all die.

f'ing wahabi/salafi terrorists must all die a painful death

There are many innocents over there. Many of them don't know what they are arrested for.

It doesn't strike me as entirely fair, either to these men or their alleged victims, that they have been allowed to languish for ten years. New laws needed to be developed and old laws, still applicable, enforced. Obama's promises to shut down Guantanamo have proved as empty as his critics always said they would be - the power of his charisma wasn't enough to convince foreigners to take the prisoners and keep them confined, nor has current U.S. civil law proved sufficient to handle matters. A push to change international law is in order, but nobody seems to want to do that.

Yet for some offenses you can't have a trial, or even charges, until the conflict is over - until the party one is at war with surrenders. Al Qaeda declared war against the U.S. in 1996 and 1998 link. OBL is dead but Al Qaeda lives on and hasn't yet done that.

I suspect the U.S. copped out of military prosecutions for political reasons, as the thought of actually executing the prisoners who were entitled to execution under military law was seen as repugnant.

Enemies of the state deserve no right to American civil laws. Let them starve to death; the mere fact that we provide them housing and food is witness to our civility to these barbarians. Given the chance they would commit harm to the innocents in our country and to all that America represents.

As the biblical saying goes, "Don't throw your pearls before swine." (Matthew 7:6)

There are many innocents over there. Many of them don't know what they are arrested for.

Nobody is innocent in guantanamo.

Half the people on this site alone should be on Guantanomo for being wahabis. Hell, all the arab members on this site alone are two depression cycles away from going on a mass suicide bombing campaign.

Nobody is innocent in guantanamo.

Half the people on this site alone should be on Guantanomo for being wahabis. Hell, all the arab members on this site alone are two depression cycles away from going on a mass suicide bombing campaign.

If it was up to Americans all the Iranians would be in Guantanamo.

Enemies of the state deserve no right to American civil laws. Let them starve to death; the mere fact that we provide them housing and food is witness to our civility to these barbarians. Given the chance they would commit harm to the innocents in our country and to all that America represents.

As the biblical saying goes, "Don't throw your pearls before swine." (Matthew 7:6)

The Issue is America is supporting the same Al-Qaeda against Syria

Let them die of hunger but please dont send them to us. if at all you wana release them then send them to their respective countries.

If it was up to Americans all the Iranians would be in Guantanamo.

It is up to them and as you can see we're clearly not represented in Guantanamo, unlike you wahabis.

Last I checked, we didn't go around blowing up civilians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom