What's new

HAL ranks 34 among top 100 global defence firms

Adux

Reaction score
Home > Business > Companies & Commodities

HAL ranks 34 among top 100 global defence firms

New Delhi, Aug 06: The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has jumped to 34th position from its previous 45th position among the top 100 global defence firms, according to a US defence magazine.

The list released by Defense News shows HAL climbing 11 positions on account of a series of up-gradation programme undertaken by the Navratna company in last one year.

"These are exciting days for us and the current ranking is a testimony to our renewed focus on all fronts," said Ashok K Baweja, Chairman of HAL.

The list is based on the company's sales and turnover.

HAL recorded a sales turnover of Rs 7,784 crores during the 2006-07 financial year achieving a growth of 46 per cent over the previous financial year.

The company expects to move into the top 25 bracket next year.

Lockheed Martin, Boeing, BAe Systems, Northrop Grumman and Raytheon occupy the top five positions in the new magazine's list.

Bureau Report

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=9150:cheers:

Do you know where I can find the complete list Adux?
If so it would be appreciated.

Ok this seems real fishy, how can HAL rank higher than companies like Dassault aviation? and how can they rank higher than 11 Russian companies and only lower than one russian company? Oh the companies ranked lower than HAL include Tactical missile Russia, Sukhoi holding, Irkut8, Mig8, Russia helicopters8 amongst others. Even Bharat electronics is ranked higher!
How come there is no Chinese company on the list? the Chinese export arms many fold the times India could ever manage. There is something very wrong in this list..

Ok this seems real fishy, how can HAL rank higher than companies like Dassault aviation? and how can they rank higher than 11 Russian companies and only lower than one russian company? Oh the companies ranked lower than HAL include Tactical missile Russia, Sukhoi holding, Irkut8, Mig8, Russia helicopters8 amongst others. Even Bharat electronics is ranked higher!
How come there is no Chinese company on the list? the Chinese export arms many fold the times India could ever manage. There is something very wrong in this list..

Chrome, isnt this a very transperent list? The ranking is clearly done by looking at revenue, unless those figures are doctored.

It seems only companies which have a public face, have been listed and only "official" figures taken into account.

So you site revenues for the difference, bu where does HAl get these Revenues and how is it more than companies like Sukhoi holdings who are selling to India, Malaysia, Algeria at the same time and have very real prospects in the near future not to mention they are also catering for national needs. Surely their revenue must dwarf that of HAL??

So you site revenues for the difference, bu where does HAl get these Revenues and how is it more than companies like Sukhoi holdings who are selling to India, Malaysia, Algeria at the same time and have very real prospects in the near future not to mention they are also catering for national needs. Surely their revenue must dwarf that of HAL??

Chrome9, I repeat, it seems only those companies with a PUBLIC revenue has been listed.

Companies with private revenue listing or whose revenue is not public might not be included. This list seems to be the order of listing of defence companies with a public revenue figure.

Also there can be differences, for example, Sukhoi could be more advanced than HAL, however it does not mean it is bigger. i.e. HAL probably even does the low-end routine maintainance work and so on, where as Sukhoi doesnt.

Well its public and audited by CAG so the figures are for real.

As to where the revenues come from, most fo export orders placed by India has offset clauses where upto 30-50% has to be outsourced or given back to Indian contractors.

And this is for just one year (2006) and shows revenue recieved. Most of the multi billion dollar orders would be cashed in after delivery and would be spread over many years.

If ou notice dasault suffered a major drop in revenues in yr 2006, it was ranked much higher in the previous year.

8.5 Billion dollar Sukhoi Deal,
jaguar Deal,
Mirage Upgrade,
MiG Upgrade,
Hawk AJT deal
LCA Deal
SO and SO forth.

HAL has been making good financial inroads.

8.5 Billion dollar Sukhoi Deal,
jaguar Deal,
Mirage Upgrade,
MiG Upgrade,
Hawk AJT deal
LCA Deal
SO and SO forth.

HAL has been making good financial inroads.

I think it was more like that GoI contracted HAL which in turn contracted various sub-contractors to execute the orignal contract.
SO GoI paid HAL which paid to other contractors, since the volume of finance involved was huge so it glorifed HAL.

I have a question, since India is reforming! Why not change the name to IAL as 'India' is seems more modern than 'Hindustan'.

I think it was more like that GoI contracted HAL which in turn contracted various sub-contractors to execute the orignal contract.
SO GoI paid HAL which paid to other contractors, since the volume of finance involved was huge so it glorifed HAL..

Batman thats a brilliant loophole. I have repped you.

I have a question, since India is reforming! Why not change the name to IAL as 'India' is seems more modern than 'Hindustan'.

Very true, GOI runned organisations should stop having such names.

PS:Why cant you post similar stuff throughout rather than going for the ususal anti India overdrive.

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) came into existence on 1st October 1964. The Company was formed by the merger of Hindustan Aircraft Limited with Aeronautics India Limited and Aircraft Manufacturing Depot, Kanpur.

The Company traces its roots to the pioneering efforts of an industrialist with extraordinary vision, the late Seth Walchand Hirachand, who set up Hindustan Aircraft Limited at Bangalore in association with the erstwhile princely State of Mysore in December 1940. The Government of India became a shareholder in March 1941 and took over the Management in 1942.
http://www.hal-india.com/aboutus.asp
guess the name is some of the vestiges of the british empire-

SO GoI paid HAL which paid to other contractors, since the volume of finance involved was huge so it glorifed HAL.

An excellent post

Back
Top Bottom