What's new

Had Russia Offered Nuclear Carrier for India?

still we are going to get 24 sub only, that is pretty disappointing.. MoD should give priority to NAVY too... Only IAF and IA getting major share from budget...

Mate, the nos. i gave are only for conventional ones, which can be anywhere b/w 24-30 depending if the IN go for follow-on orders. If we count nuclear as well than it will include - 2 Akula II, 3-4 Arihant class & again 3-4 more bigger SSBNs, total no. of subs in 2030 can be anywhere b/w 35-40.

+ MOD of late is seriously looking into INs need as the largest % increase in military budget is that of IN in last 4-5 years.

The Russians have royally pee'd of the IN/MoD brass- they'd have to give some major sweeteners to make this deal even remoelty attractive ie free Air group, full after sales support package at rock bottom prices, etc, etc . I see this as a non-starter anyway, the IN wants to dramatically increase the indigenious content of its force and will do so even if it take a bit longer. IAC 1 and 2 will pave the way for future IN ACCs.

Mate, the nos. i gave are only for conventional ones, which can be anywhere b/w 24-30 depending if the IN go for follow-on orders. If we count nuclear as well than it will include - 2 Akula II, 3-4 Arihant class & again 3-4 more bigger SSBNs, total no. of subs in 2030 can be anywhere b/w 35-40.

+ MOD of late is seriously looking into INs need as the largest % increase in military budget is that of IN in last 4-5 years.

thak's for correcting me bro... I forget about arihant and akula... thank you skulls and bones.
when IN going to send off INS virat .... that is pretty much old AC....

and when you tell me the number 35-40 what I am thinking is that even we the common person knows the number would be 35-40! This is just public info 35-40, the real numbers would be anybody's guess.

projecting IN real strength 2 decades before should not be so easy. ;)

Have you counted 10 improved Kilo and 4 German U-209s?
Dada Aston Martin 1-77 ke jamane mein Maruti 800 chalane ka irada hai kya.....

Out of those 10 Kilo and 4 U-209 submarines.....
11 are 20 to 26 year old submarines....

and when you tell me the number 35-40 what I am thinking is that even we the common person knows the number would be 35-40! This is just public info 35-40, the real numbers would be anybody's guess.

projecting IN real strength 2 decades before should not be so easy. ;)

That's why they are called PROJECTIONS :)

Dada Aston Martin 1-77 ke jamane mein Maruti 800 chalane ka irada hai kya.....

Out of those 10 Kilo and 4 U-209 submarines.....
11 are 20 to 26 year old submarines....

Kilos are being upgraded recently, thus they can be operated for 2 decades or more. And German U-209 has provision for adding AIP, that'll give it much necessary upgrade to operate for another 2 decade. :)

Chinese are operating 31 such 60 year old submarine design, soviet Romeo class subs.

NoThanks_thumb.jpg

2 Akula II

We only leased 1 Akula, another one was only a old rumor and was never officially confirmed. After the delays and problems with the first delivery, it is even more than unlikely anyway.

Kilos are being upgraded recently, thus they can be operated for 2 decades or more. And German U-209 has provision for adding AIP, that'll give it much necessary upgrade to operate for another 2 decade. :)

6 x Scorpene subs will replace 2 x Foxtrot class submarines and 4 x U209 subs (which only will get minor modernisations of systems and won't be cut in half to integrate another modul and AIP anymore)

P75I is for 6 x subs to replace at least 6 x Kilo class subs, depending on our indigenous developments, we will replace the other 4 and add up to 8 more SSKs later, be it with now subs or optional P75Is.

We only leased 1 Akula, another one was only a old rumor and was never officially confirmed. After the delays and problems with the first delivery, it is even more than unlikely anyway.

Sancho, it is not at all a rumor, there was always a provision of second Akula since the very beginning, officially confirmed by Mr. Antony:

Livefist: Govt Considering A 2nd Akula-II

I cannot say when but i m pretty sure that we will go for the second one as IN desperately needs SSNs as we are currently only building SSBNs.

PA2 from DCNS is a pretty cool concept if we are now into buying concepts.

I would be happy if its based on the Stanislav-class supercarrier.

We need to procure ACs from wherever possible and make a fleet of 7 carriers by 2030.

We even rejected the offer from the british to get their Elizabeth class carrier... So no chance of buying from somebody

@sancho

Mate do you think we should conduct a deep-upgrade on the INS Viraat (ex-Hermes) and re-engine it with new GE-supplied gas turbine engines, re-arm it with Barak-8 LRSAM, 9M337 Sosna-R, and re-equip it with all-new superstructures and upgraded electronic/bridge equipment and keep it till 2025-2030?

About the air-wing, its clear the Sea Harrier FRS.51 and Mk.60 are now obsolete, so what about procuring around a dozen McDonnell AV-8B Harrier-II with brand-new upgraded avionics and armament?

If you think they too are obsolete and come with too many strings attached, how about this for S/VTOL fighter for refurbished Viraat? -

^^ Yakovlev Yak-41M/Yak-141 "Freestyle"

I figure this will be an excellent S/VTOL replacement for Sea Harrier on Viraat, we can buy out all the design codes/IPRs of this plane from Yakovlev OKB, fit it with new powerful Zhuk-ME/AE radar, new armament and a couple of Israeli/French avionics as well as new Saturn/Salyut engines, and turn it into something quite fitting for the strike fighter role with optimum A2A capability.

And this Yak-41M/Yak-141 won't be even half as costly as the F-35B even if we want to operate it from LHDs in future.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom