What's new

GPS Used by Pak Armed Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is not with the GPS data, the problem is reliability of the data, accuracy of the data and relevance of the data. If the chip outputs the data at 1hz and the vehicle on which it is located on is highly maneuverable (intentionally or un-intentionally) then the data would be obsolete by the time someone uses it unless otherwise the INS system calculates the path and provide with updated/realtime coordinates.

Also all the off-the shelf receivers only subscribe to civilian grade signals and one would require specialized equipment to capture military grade signals. Major difference between them is the accuracy.

I guess these system doesnt use free service , they use Military grade GPS or GLONASS signal.

May be or may be not but its highly unlikey Russia will never allow Pakistan to use its high accuracy GPS signle.

PS: Not because of India but USA factor here ;)

May be or may be not but its highly unlikey Russia will never allow Pakistan to use its high accuracy GPS signle.

Well i guess there is China factor in this matter as well . US is not giving Russia anything but china is giving Russia dollar for differnt goodies and I think they are pretty much capable of getting GLonass military class signal support from russia.

When they can get SU-35 then these things are very small .

I guess these system doesnt use free service , they use Military grade GPS or GLONASS signal.

In case of GPS, the dedicated military channel is only for USA and/or their allies.

kṣamā;4019260 said:
the problem is not with the GPS data, the problem is reliability of the data, accuracy of the data and relevance of the data. If the chip outputs the data at 1hz and the vehicle on which it is located on is highly maneuverable (intentionally or un-intentionally) then the data would be obsolete by the time someone uses it unless otherwise the INS system calculates the path and provide with updated/realtime coordinates.

Also all the off-the shelf receivers only subscribe to civilian grade signals and one would require specialized equipment to capture military grade signals. Major difference between them is the accuracy.

INS is always used with GPS. Infact INS is a must for any fighter aircraft.

What if I told you that GPS+GLONASS fixing is becoming standard for many PakMil systems.
The Russians are letting us purchase everything..and that is EVERYTHING.. from their inventory as long as it does not attract big news.
So if its a new ELINT module.. register a private company.. and bingo.. you've just been given something they rolled out a month ago..
The Russians know it.. we know it.. The INDIANS know it.. yet .. at this point.. they are unable to move sources because diplomatic maneuvers indicate that the Russians let us have what we need as long as it doesn't create waves in the media.

What if I told you that GPS+GLONASS fixing is becoming standard for many PakMil systems.
The Russians are letting us purchase everything..and that is EVERYTHING.. from their inventory as long as it does not attract big news.
So if its a new ELINT module.. register a private company.. and bingo.. you've just been given something they rolled out a month ago..
The Russians know it, The Americans know it. we know they know it.. The INDIANS know it.. yet .. at this point.. they are unable to move sources because diplomatic maneuvers indicate that the Russians let us have what we need as long as it doesn't create waves in the media.

Unfortunately.. the dual edged sword is that EVERYthing that we buy from anywhere.. that lands in Pakistan.. is a target for reverse engineering. And while the success rate of these programs are not always guaranteed..the ill-will it generates is.

The Russians know it, The Americans know it. we know they know it.. The INDIANS know it.. yet .. at this point.. they are unable to move sources because diplomatic maneuvers indicate that the Russians let us have what we need as long as it doesn't create waves in the media.

Unfortunately.. the dual edged sword is that EVERYthing that we buy from anywhere.. that lands in Pakistan.. is a target for reverse engineering. And while the success rate of these programs are not always guaranteed..the ill-will it generates is.

If you told me that, I would ask two questions: What is the verifiable accuracy of these systems, and how reliable is that accuracy in times of hostilities?

If you told me that, I would ask two questions: What is the verifiable accuracy of these systems, and how reliable is that accuracy in times of hostilities?

The verifiable accuracy of the Russian system in on par with its military standard.. and the US one is on par with civil aviation applications..

All I can add.. is that by now(based on 2011 information) we should for guidance applications..a hybrid of GPS/GLONASS and COMPASS(Beidou) operational..

The accuracy of GPS will not change as it is already using commercial standards.. nor is the one for GLONASS expected to change. The Chinese system is no brainier for accuracy degradation unless one of them gets taken out.

During second gulf war i myself experienced GPS error of a mile on civilian signals....
China is producing chips which use all existing satellite navigation systems at the same time.
So if GPS has bad signal,the chip switches over to Glonass and beidou....

The verifiable accuracy of the Russian system in on par with its military standard.. and the US one is on par with civil aviation applications..

All I can add.. is that by now(based on 2011 information) we should for guidance applications..a hybrid of GPS/GLONASS and COMPASS(Beidou) operational..

The accuracy of GPS will not change as it is already using commercial standards.. nor is the one for GLONASS expected to change. The Chinese system is no brainier for accuracy degradation unless one of them gets taken out.

So we believe that Selective Availability is no longer an issue simply because the US government says it will not use it again for civilian applications? How can PAF guard against regional manipulation of military grade signals?

So we believe that Selective Availability is no longer an issue simply because the US government says it will not use it again for civilian applications? How can PAF guard against regional manipulation of military grade signals?

They cannot guard it for GPS.. but they can guard it for COMPASS.

F-16s are fitted with INS and that doesnt need any external signal.
Plus pilots are trained to use land marks for finding their way.

They cannot guard it for GPS.. but they can guard it for COMPASS.

The Chinese are smart and think long term. What are the odds they have their own version of SA to which Pakistan is not privy to?

GPS technology is much more than a navigational tool. It also is used in communications and ordnance targeting.

All INS will produce errors that magnify as the time goes on. Meaning, if you rely solely on INS, and the F-16 flies for an hour, it might be over Islamabad, but the Map from INS would say it is in Siberia. For this reason, INS is always coupled with some other navigation aid, like GPS or any ground based transponders/beacons to keep triangulating the position.

pakistan used chinnese system for test in raad cruise missile when they conducted the second test source wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom