What's new

Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Employees of the Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) on Wednesday staged a demonstration against the ministry of defence for deciding to stop procuring small rifles from OFT and three other government rifle factories.

As many as 1,600 OFT technical staff owing allegiance to various employees unions demanded that the ministry allow OFT, Ordnance Factory in Nalanda, Small Arms Factory in Kanpur and Rifle Factory in Ishapore to go on with manufacturing of rifles with state-of-the-art features for supply to the Indian Army instead of importing such arms from foreign countries and allowing private companies to manufacture arms in India.

S Chandrasekaran, president of the National Defence Workers Union-INTUC, said, "OFT and three other government arms factories have been manufacturing small rifle 5.56mm INSAS for supply to the Indian Army since 1999. OFT manufactured 4.5 lakh 5.66 mm INSAS rifles so far. As the Indian Army recently decided to procure multipurpose rifles, MoD decided to stop procuring small rifles from OFT after March 2013. OFT now has to supply 19,300 5.56mm INSAS rifles to the Indian Army to reach this year's target."

"Nearly 70% of our staff are involved in small rifle manufacturing. Rest of us are engaged in other arms like under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL). By stopping the manufacture of small rifles, our staff could suffer financial loss as they will not get overtime duty and other benefits," he added.

Chandrasekaran also said, "Moreover, the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria and allow private companies for rifle manufacturing even though the rifle factories are equipped to produce such arms. Last year, OFT staff designed the latest rifle called 'Trichy Assault Rifle'(TAR). After putting it to various experiments, the MoD shelved the idea to procure TAR for the Indian Army for unknown reasons
."

Ordnance factory staff fear job insecurity - Times Of India

Some interesting points from a seemingly tedious news story-

1) IA/MoD is not going to be inducting anymore INSAS post 2013, which begs the question what will replace it? And is this related to the F-INSAS program?

2)MoD is allowing pvt compaines into the fold- a VERY good move IMHO.

3)"the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria"-Isreal I'll assume the Tavor but what weapons is India getting from Austria? I know some state SWAT teams are using the AUG STEYR but I don't think these workers would notice that devlopment, they seem to be implying this is being done in large numbers and for the IA.

Once again thsi article is screaming F-INSAS at me. I could be completly wrong but I can't think of any other reasons behind this news.

'Trichy Assault Rifle'(TAR) was very appealing
what happened to it ?

Ordnance factory staff fear job insecurity - Times Of India

Some interesting points from a seemingly tedious news story-

1) IA/MoD is not going to be inducting anymore INSAS post 2013, which begs the question what will replace it? And is this related to the F-INSAS program?

2)MoD is allowing pvt compaines into the fold- a VERY good move IMHO.

3)"the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria"-Isreal I'll assume the Tavor but what weapons is India getting from Austria? I know some state SWAT teams are using the AUG STEYR but I don't think these workers would notice that devlopment, they seem to be implying this is being done in large numbers and for the IA.

Once again thsi article is screaming F-INSAS at me. I could be completly wrong but I can't think of any other reasons behind this news.

You missed the important point that India is gonna sideline local industry and reliance on foreign arms is increasing day by day this is bad news for Indian Pvt sector and economy as well. :confused:

You missed the important point that India is gonna sideline local industry and reliance on foreign arms is increasing day by day this is bad news for Indian Pvt sector and economy as well. :confused:
if it gets adopted for the whole army , we'll license make our weapons like uguys do with the g3s . fair enough eh?

Hardly-the Indian military is so HUGE that any order will have to come with complete TOT and will have to be made in India by Indian companies and Indian workers. JVs and ToT will help domestic companies make some world-class weapons as compared to the junk (relativly) they are making right now. But these things take time and the IA doesn't have time to wait around for the domestic industries to mature enough to deliver what they desire.For now it has to be a trade off but I'd prefer the Indian forces were armed to the teeth with the latest weaponry from abroad than them mulling around with sub-standard equipment.

@topic, my hope is the the FN SCAR:

FN_SCAR_L_by_Drake_UK.jpg

+ I am told the Indina SOFs are already VERY interested in this rifle!

if it gets adopted for the whole army , we'll license make our weapons like uguys do with the g3s . fair enough eh?

Investment of few $$ can also improve Insas maybe a newer version but now it seems game end for Insas.
Its a good thing if IA purchase with TOT and equipping whole army difficult and expensive task though. :tup:

Investment of few $$ can also improve Insas maybe a newer version but now it seems game end for Insas.
Its a good thing if IA purchase with TOT and equipping whole army difficult and expensive task though. :tup:

The OFB did devlop many variants of the INSAS:

insas+assault+rifle.jpg

4367052237_b5f499d632.jpg

477690188.jpg

But for one reason or another the IA weren't too interested.

And yes equipping a military the size of Indias (~2 million men) is a HUGE task but India has the cash but it will take time.

INSAS is a good rifle no doubt. Its Accurate and reliable.

My point is,no problem in case of a delay in replacement for INSAS,as we have a capable rifle at hand.

INSAS is a good rifle no doubt. Its Accurate and reliable.

My point is,no problem in case of a delay in replacement for INSAS,as we have a capable rifle at hand.

As a rifle it is adequate yes, but these days it is about accessories and add-ons just as much as the basic weapon. Now these could be fitted to the INSAS, but I feel the IA wants a completly new and next-gen rifle to serve it for some time into the future.

As a rifle it is adequate yes, but these days it is about accessories and add-ons just as much as the basic weapon. Now these could be fitted to the INSAS, but I feel the IA wants a completly new and next-gen rifle to serve it for some time into the future.

I believe Multi-caliber is the key word here.

I believe Multi-caliber is the key word here.

Yeah, this is a game-chnager as far as IA is concerned.

Guys make some suggestions-what do you think the IA is looking at and or which rifle do you think they'll go for?

All modern army uses Multi-caliber rifles ?
what are the other requirements?

Back
Top Bottom