What's new

Germany to shut down Nuclear Reactors by 2022

Germans are scared about Nuclear Energy because japan got hit by a Tsunami + earthquake, that won't happen to Germany + we need Nuclear anyway, the Green Party must be having Wet Dreams now. :cry:

Although you are right about the hysteria, renewables still make sense. And 2022 is not an unrealistic goal i think.

as you may know this was done by the conservative government. so they might actually steal a lot of impetus from the stupid green party, which i dislike for many reasons but energy policy isn't one of them.

Nothing can never be made 100% safe, no matter how many system backups and safety systems such a plant possesses, there will always be the danger of something extraordinary happening and knocking out the system required to cool the reactor.
I think many countries have reconsidered the effectiveness of nuclear reactors, the waste issue has always been a big worry, because no matter what we do, we cant technically dispose of it, it will just sit where ever we leave it for years and years...and the remote chance that a reactor were to melt down, its consequences would be catastrophic, so I think nuclear reactors will become less and less popular as space becomes even more limited, not only to dispose of the waste, but also bringing these reactors close to residential areas.
The risk, though remote in its likelihood, is just too great.

Apparently you folks have never heard or looked into thorium-based molten salt nuclear reactors. They are the real deal. China is pursuing it right now.

Thumbs down to the Germans.

India has it , ONE Th based proto-type already functioning ..............

India has it , ONE Th based proto-type already functioning ..............

its a bit safer but the higher temperatures stress the materials in the reactor stronger then in usual reactor and the problem of dumping the radio active materials consists aswell. Not to mention that the machinery is radiated aswell unlike in a usual reactor. Also the liquid nuclear fuel is harder to dump then solid fuel.

I think it is an interesting move by the German government, and I wish Germany luck in this cutting-edge move to stop relying on nuclear power.

But, respectfully, won't this degrade Germany's nuclear technology industry? If a safe, clean, nuclear power source (such as a thorium-based reactor) was eventually perfected, won't Germany lack the technology to exploit it? And have to purchase the technology from another country?

My concern then, is this really a politically astute move, or is it just pandering to the short-sided emotions (aka the Japan Nuclear Crisis) that flits through a democracy?

Back
Top Bottom