What's new

Germany keen on closer defence, civil nuclear ties

ps80

Reaction score
The Hindu : Front Page : Germany keen on closer defence, civil nuclear ties

NEW DELHI: Germany intends to step up its engagements in a wide range of fields from solar energy to intelligence sharing and even civil nuclear cooperation with several high-level bilateral engagements lined up in the coming months.

German Ambassador Thomas Matussek said this in an interaction with journalists of The Hindu here.

In order to sweeten the offer of 126 fighter planes by a European consortium, Germany, which heads it, is thinking of pushing for civil nuclear cooperation in areas of interest to India.

“After the Nuclear Suppliers Group clearance, I don’t see any impediment. In some areas, we can make offers you can’t refuse,” he said.

While the multi-billion dollar contract for fighters is the cynosure of Berlin’s attention, it is also keen on promoting the prospects of Europe-based companies on other tenders for military hardware. Mr. Matussek took up with the government the impasse in awarding the tender for refuellers for Airbus and has professed interest in promoting the German company HDW for the coming order for submarines. “We hope we will be able to get the submarine deal. It will be easier since we shelved the deal with Pakistan,” he said.

German National Security Adviser Christoph Heusgen would begin his official engagements here on Monday centring on removing bureaucratic hurdles in exchange of real-time information on terrorism and promoting closer cooperation on the civilian side, especially in view of the coming conference on Afghanistan next month.

“Exchange of information is important. By doing that we had fortunately prevented a major thing [terrorist incident] here. By watching real-time flows of intelligence, we foiled six-seven cases in Germany. But often the bureaucracy stands in the way of greater practical partnership,” said Mr. Matussek.

The visit early next year by German President Hoerst Koehler would focus on issues such as a proposal to set up a massive solar plant in the Thar Desert on the lines of the Sahara desert project by a consortium of German companies. “We are putting up a huge solar field in northern Africa over an area of 40,000 sq. km., which would meet all the energy needs of the European Union by 2050. We can do that in the Thar Desert,” Mr. Matussek, who took charge of his new post last month but is familiar with the country as he had served as the Press Attache between 1983 and 1986. Germany was also keen on promoting its “hidden champions” — companies that had been active in India but not been in public limelight — such as Bosch and Bombardier.

After France & US jumping into the act i think its germanys turn now.......

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on September 22 embarked on a 10-day visit to the United States and France which was expected to mark India’s opening nuclear trade with the world after a three-decade ban. Singh also attended the United Nations General Assembly in New York as well as the India-European Union Summit in Marseilles before returning on October 2. Earlier this month, the Nuclear Suppliers Group lifted a 34-year-old ban to allow India to trade in fissile materials and technology. To advance on nuclear supply issues with France, Singh was to arrive in Paris on September 30. India and France negotiated a nuclear cooperation pact during Sarkozy’s visit to Delhi in January, which could also be clinched and signed after bilateral talks, Indian officials said. France is a key player in civilian nuclear energy and is keen to begin nuclear trade with India. Indian officials said nuclear energy is vital in meeting the fast-growing country’s energy demands. Industry analysts estimate that India’s civilian nuclear energy programme could generate business worth USD 100 billion over the next decade.

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/Indian-premier-wants-closer-nuclear-ties/89980.php

Last edited:
The Hindu : Front Page : Germany keen on closer defence, civil nuclear ties

NEW DELHI: Germany intends to step up its engagements in a wide range of fields from solar energy to intelligence sharing and even civil nuclear cooperation with several high-level bilateral engagements lined up in the coming months.

German Ambassador Thomas Matussek said this in an interaction with journalists of The Hindu here.

In order to sweeten the offer of 126 fighter planes by a European consortium, Germany, which heads it, is thinking of pushing for civil nuclear cooperation in areas of interest to India.

“After the Nuclear Suppliers Group clearance, I don’t see any impediment. In some areas, we can make offers you can’t refuse,” he said.

While the multi-billion dollar contract for fighters is the cynosure of Berlin’s attention, it is also keen on promoting the prospects of Europe-based companies on other tenders for military hardware. Mr. Matussek took up with the government the impasse in awarding the tender for refuellers for Airbus and has professed interest in promoting the German company HDW for the coming order for submarines. “We hope we will be able to get the submarine deal. It will be easier since we shelved the deal with Pakistan,” he said.

German National Security Adviser Christoph Heusgen would begin his official engagements here on Monday centring on removing bureaucratic hurdles in exchange of real-time information on terrorism and promoting closer cooperation on the civilian side, especially in view of the coming conference on Afghanistan next month.

“Exchange of information is important. By doing that we had fortunately prevented a major thing [terrorist incident] here. By watching real-time flows of intelligence, we foiled six-seven cases in Germany. But often the bureaucracy stands in the way of greater practical partnership,” said Mr. Matussek.

The visit early next year by German President Hoerst Koehler would focus on issues such as a proposal to set up a massive solar plant in the Thar Desert on the lines of the Sahara desert project by a consortium of German companies. “We are putting up a huge solar field in northern Africa over an area of 40,000 sq. km., which would meet all the energy needs of the European Union by 2050. We can do that in the Thar Desert,” Mr. Matussek, who took charge of his new post last month but is familiar with the country as he had served as the Press Attache between 1983 and 1986. Germany was also keen on promoting its “hidden champions” — companies that had been active in India but not been in public limelight — such as Bosch
and Bombardier.

so is the u-214 deal with pakistan scrapped:what:

good step

Germany know where is the real friends its time when we have to make our relation more strong with them

Germany is one of the good friend of India

good step

Germany know where is the real friends its time when we have to make our relation more strong with them

Germany is one of the good friend of India

Jumping the gun a bit there are we.

We could call them a friend, not a good friend

India has friendly relation's with the EU

France and Britain foremost among that list. Relations with Germany are casual at best, compared to those two.

France and Britain foremost among that list. Relations with Germany are casual at best, compared to those two.

I feel India - German sounds better than India USA, GoI should stop looking at USA and try to have good allies in Europe and Middle east. That would strategically help a lot for our defense and economy , USA may not withstand for longer time with their economy going down drastically.

I feel India - German sounds better than India USA, GoI should stop looking at USA and try to have good allies in Europe and Middle east. That would strategically help a lot for our defense and economy , USA may not withstand for longer time with their economy going down drastically.

your being both delusional and paranoid.

The Americans are not going anywhere, its on of the few stable places on earth. and once they get Universal Health care, one of the best places to live.

We can trust the Americans to an certain extent as much as we trust any other friendly foreign nation.

Our interests may clash with theirs from time to time creating friction.
But i don't see India getting burned due to America.

Indian foreign policy is one of the few things, that both democrats and Conservatives agree on.

I second that.

guys

why are you fighting like kids yes Germany is our friend and usa is also there is no need to be good or best

friend means just friend now we have to make our relation strong with every friend country

i hope you understand let keep your target in your eyes and you know target is china so we have to make more and more friends and have to do lots of work and have to provide the best of best for our force and people of India

in short we have to do lots of things

Britain and France already good friends...

Germany also most welcome to be a good friend of India...

France and Britain foremost among that list.
True
Relations with Germany are casual at best, compared to those two.
But I would certainly want it to become same as France and Britain in the future especially regarding defence ties. You know why......German Engineering and German quality;)

Necessity drives everything, there are no friends or enemies, if it suits us we should go for it.

True

But I would certainly want it to become same as France and Britain in the future especially regarding defence ties. You know why......German Engineering and German quality;)

well dont get me wrong, If German Foreign policy aims to achieve better relations with India.

I am very much in favor of India Advocating the same.

But like i said dont jump the gun and start calling a nation with whom we have had very casual ties, a good frind based on a simple press release.

We should wait and see how this relations develop first

well dont get me wrong, If German Foreign policy aims to achieve better relations with India.

I am very much in favor of India Advocating the same.

But like i said dont jump the gun and start calling a nation with whom we have had very casual ties, a good frind based on a simple press release.

We should wait and see how this relations develop first

We had good diplomatic relations with germany in the past looking at the Indian investment in the civil nuclear sector ($100)bn est in the near future germany has the capabilty to assist India and take advantage also mrca bidding for EF and so on....... so according to me things look optimistic :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom