What's new

Generation 2.0: Arjun Mk-2

Generation 2.0: Arjun Mk-2 idrw.org

TK-K.jpg

BY: IDRW NEWS NETWORK

Path for the development of the Second generation of Arjun Mk-2 has been cleared recently by the Ministry of Defence and funding allocated , while the Army has ordered more 124 Arjun Mk-1 to keep the production line in Avadi busy till the Arjun Mk-2 will start rolling out from 2013-14 onwards . DRDO rather than starting all over again the Arjun MK-2 will have the same design of Arjun MK-1, but major changes are planned for the new generation variant of Arjun Tank to keep up with the new technological changes which are been incorporated in the MBT’s world over .

Arjun MK-2 will have Battle Field Management System (BFMS) which will enable the tank to get feed from UAV‘s and Helicopters, which then enable the Arjun mk-2 tank crew much aware of their surroundings and better understanding of the battle zone, this will lead to improvement in coordinating with other Friendly tanks in the zone and also avoid Friendly kills, it will also give information regarding enemy tank movement along with their troops and help navigate terrain in the battle zone.

Self-diagnostic system (SDS) will also be added to Arjun Mk-2 which is like a health monitoring system. it will not only tell the tank crew if it is having any problem but also point out the trouble area , it is also important when Tank has taken multiple hits from different position and from different ammunition after a self-diagnose Tank crew will know exact damage inflicted on the Tank .

Arjun Mk-2 will get a new efficient 1500bhp engine which has been in development by DRDO in India its self, they are reports that a Indian Private industry is also working with DRDO on the engine development, currently Arjun MK-1 is powered by German supplied 1400bhp engine which is quite old in design and technical parameters but still a powerful and respected engine in the world.

NERA (non-explosive reactive armor) will be added to Arjun Mk-2 this will give the tank additional protection against anti-tank munitions, unlike ERA, NERA will enable tank to take multiple hits anti-tank munitions, but also increase the weight of Arjun MK-2 to 60 tons from its current weight (Arjun MK-1) of 58 tons.

It is much likely that Arjun Mk-2 will also spot Air-conditioning system for the crew, which will be powered from an APU which will draw its power from the Main engine of the Tank; this will enable the tank crew to operate in higher temperature of desert heat without any discomfort to the tank crew, Arjun MK-1 already has hardened electronics that function perfectly even in the Rajasthan summer without requiring any Air-conditioning system.

More changes will take place in Arjun Mk-2, above mentioned are mostly likely changes which will take place in the new variant.

Its a superb looking tank. But there are some issues that I would like to point out to you and know your opinions about it:

1. Why haven't they covered the last wheel which is powered by the engine and helps in moving the track of the tank, and thus the tank itself???????? If it gets damaged, then the tank would become stationary, and wouldn't be capable of any movement/s...............

2. Why haven't they cared to lower the overall silhouette of the tank, which is currently the theme of M1A2 successors in US.......

3. Why have they not countered the earlier issues of weight which has caused so many debates about the induction of Arjun Mk1 till date??????

4. Why is there no reports or even ideas regarding use of Hybrid propulsion systems(here I'm talking about Diesel-Electric Systems, because Hydrogen is a highly combustible fuel which doesn't quite suit usage in war-like situations...), which are efficient, provide better acceleration and endurance and make much lower noise. Also they are robust, easy to replace and handle, and save loss of energy during transmission?????? The Indian Railways has the most current technologies for such systems and could have helped DRDO......

5. Why is there a bulge on the main gun, like the M1A2 Abrams??????

6. Why are the optical devices which are place over the turret which makes them vulnerable to light arms fires, rockets and other weapons. What I mean is that if a rocket hits the tank, then they would surely get destroyed. What is the crew going to do afetr that??????

7. Why are the side panels still flat????????

I'm very sorry for raising so many questions about this adventurous venture, but it is clear that we have definitely ignored some very small issues which can easily be solved indigenously . What could possibly be the reason behind it??????

Please comment my dear friends................:hitwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the things mentioned about Arjun Mk2 is already in service with the current Arjun, which includes BMS, the Air-Conditioning without which the BMS and other computer, electronic and optical devices wouldn't function, properly. Also the NERA is ready and has been applied to some Arjuns. The connectivity with UAVs is the only new thing and its development is also half-way through.

It seems as if they have kept the Big Surprises for the D-Day............. lets hold our patience and pray for the success of this project.......

archangel, I think that's just a concept drawing, probably not anywhere close to how the final product will look like. BTW, $9-10 mil a piece? Isn't that a tad steep?

Its a superb looking tank. But there are some issues that I would like to point out to you and know your opinions about it:

1. Why haven't they covered the last wheel which is powered by the engine and helps in moving the track of the tank, and thus the tank itself???????? If it gets damaged, then the tank would become stationary, and wouldn't be capable of any movement/s...............

2. Why haven't they cared to lower the overall silhouette of the tank, which is currently the theme of M1A2 successors in US.......
YouTube - U.S Army Future Combat Systems 40t Prototype Tank

3. Why have they not countered the earlier issues of weight which has caused so many debates about the induction of Arjun Mk1 till date??????

4. Why is there no reports or even ideas regarding use of Hybrid propulsion systems(here I'm talking about Diesel-Electric Systems, because Hydrogen is a highly combustible fuel which doesn't quite suit usage in war-like situations...), which are efficient, provide better acceleration and endurance and make much lower noise. Also they are robust, easy to replace and handle, and save loss of energy during transmission?????? The Indian Railways has the most current technologies for such systems and could have helped DRDO......

6. Why are the optical devices which are place over the turret which makes them vulnerable to light arms fires, rockets and other weapons. What I mean is that if a rocket hits the tank, then they would surely get destroyed. What is the crew going to do afetr that??????

I'm very sorry for raising so many questions about this adventurous venture, but it is clear that we have definitely ignored some very small issues which can easily be solved indigenously . What could possibly be the reason behind it??????

buddy dont break you head the picture is an artist imagination or artist impression official picture is not yet released

i thought mk-2 was designed to get rid of the problems caused by mk-1

but the weight,it had only increased

a new powerful engine will b only able to achive what the old engine achived in mk-1

YouTube - U.S Army Future Combat Systems 40t Prototype Tank

Dont worry the above image is artist impression of Japanees tank not Arjun mk-2 .

Dont worry the above image is artist impression of Japanees tank not Arjun mk-2 .

I would be glad if it is a Japanese Tank.
I, actually, thought this to be some foreign tank at first. Especially the bulge on the Barrel made me confident about the fact that this is some foreign tank.

But then, the only thing that made me wonder that this might be our Arjun is - the Hull : to be precise, the part of the hull between the tracks. It looked exactly like the hull of the Arjun except for the two rings that have been shifted lower.

What do you think about that part???? Well, it makes me look at this as our Arjun................ And to you?????

Also, the tip of the gun indicates it to be Arjun. So, what do you have to say on this?????? :azn:

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the Arjun 2 will actually enter service i mean the Arjun mk1 has only just recently entered service so we're looking at what another 10-12 years? and then the army is only going to buy 100 of these what's the point?

Does anyone know when the Arjun 2 will actually enter service i mean the Arjun mk1 has only just recently entered service so we're looking at what another 10-12 years? and then the army is only going to buy 100 of these what's the point?

Arjun enter service more than a year ago.

The MK-II development had already started , before then.

Expectations allow for the tank to be ready in the next 2-5 years.
This is only an improvement over the Arjun tank.

It's spec's are not fully known yet ,

But it mostly involved new NERA armour(on top of the old chassis and armour) , A new gas turbine engine and sever other upgrades.

i thought mk-2 was designed to get rid of the problems caused by mk-1

but the weight,it had only increased

a new powerful engine will b only able to achive what the old engine achived in mk-1

Weight was never a make or break issue , simple logistics upgrades could have solved all issues .

The problem was highlighted by corrupt IA officials , so that they can find an excuse for not inducting the Arjun .

They heaviest tanks have always been the best , check the best battle tanks used globally, there is nothing wrong with a the Arjun's weight. It's perfectly normal for tank of its class.

And there is no but, now that the Arjun showed what it was capable of when it trumped the T-90 at the trials , if you still believe IA High command BS on weight issue. Then you serious need reconsider that

After smoking the T-90 and highlighting some major issues with that tank, for IA, the weight of Arjun shouldn't be an issue.

But practically thinking, and keeping in mind that battle theaters we have in India, I think the weight should seriously be taken into considerations. What I mean is- I've seen the roads in states like Sikkim, which is connected to India on one side and shares its border with foreign countries on the rest of the three sides. You can't take a tank like this, there. Those roads used to jam even when a Stallion tried to use it. It couldn't get through easily. And then, this tank would be impossible to deploy in such terrains.

I would rather consider developing the Tank-Ex. It suits our requirements in every form. Its simple where it needs to be(the hull and the driving system) and up-to-date at other places(the turret of the Arjun). Also they have cared to give a little angle to its turret which is definitely a step in the right direction. Also, it can be very successful in the International Market, even if it is priced a bit higher than the rest, because of India's reputation.

Please give your opinions about my perspective of analyzing this issue.....

Last edited:
One more reason by which I want to justify my theory of simplicity is the case with the Well-ahead-of-their-times German Tanks, in World War 2. They were so superb that the allies were afraid of fighting with them but in actual war, they were very easily defeated, not because they lacked firepower or mobility, which they definitely didn't, but because the German Army couldn't maintain it during those days of frequent and intense conflicts.The Germans have always been inventors, but they couldn't judge where they should apply their inventions. I pray we don;t repeat the same mistake.

Another advantage of keeping things simple is the process of accommodation which becomes very easy and less time consuming, both at the levels of the manufacturers and the end-users or consumers.

What are your opinions about this thinking of mine??????????

Last edited:
A new gas turbine engine

How can say so???? or are you just expecting it??????

I don't think so because at present conditions, internal-combustions can match turbines in power-to-weight ratio(although the turbines still have an upper hand but many other disadvantages, especially with the dust and sand) and at the same time be far more efficient. Diesel Engines can also support many type of oils/fuels other than diesel because they work on the principle of compression rather than ignition(same is the case with turbines but they are much more fuel-specific). Also, you can help troops move behind a diesel-engined tank and also save it from thermal-viewers and thermal-guided missiles because they have very less heat signature(as compared to turbines). If mated with an electric rather than a hydraulic transmission, it can lessen its- a. Heat Signature
b. Noise
c. Fuel Consumption
d. Engine maintainance times
e. Engine/Transmission inter-change times
f. Energy lost due to planetary transmissions
g. Issues with oiling the gearing system
h. Hydraulics for transmission of torque from motor to
wheels.

There are many other advantages as well....................

One more reason by which I want to justify my theory of simplicity is the case with the Well-ahead-of-their-times German Tanks, in World War 2. They were so superb that the allies were afraid of fighting with them but in actual war, they were very easily defeated, not because they lacked firepower or mobility, which they definitely didn't, but because the German Army couldn't maintain it during those days of frequent and intense conflicts.The Germans have always been inventors, but they couldn't judge where they should apply their inventions. I pray we don;t repeat the same mistake.

Another advantage of keeping things simple is the process of accommodation which becomes very easy and less time consuming, both at the levels of the manufacturers and the end-users or consumers.

What are your opinions about this thinking of mine??????????

I am not sure what that is mean to prove

Arjun is in the same weight class as some of the best tanks in the world It has both our run and out gunned the T-90 , proving its capabilites once and for all. It has nothing left to prove to anyone for its quality and capability

but either way your saying is utter nonsense .

German tanks were feared for reason.

fact was their armour was was in-penetrable to all allied tanks.

Both the Panther and Tiger tanks , could stop whole allied or soviet advances.

Their downfall came form the skies , when allies and soviet fighter bombers made short work of German tank formations.

On top of that the German tanks had a added handicap of having chronic shortage on fuel , towards the end, the tanks were left on the side of the road because there simply rant out of fuel.

Also the soviet and Allied air wings , had already decimated all German Industrial capacity at this point. Factories , refiner'y and power stations all gone.This was part of the real reason for the sever shortage e of German tanks

Despite all this at the end of the war it was determined that given the limited number of German tanks , it was determined for the Germans to have wont the tank war , each German tank had to take out 24 allied tanks.

Actual Ratio was for every 1 German tank it was 21 allied tanks.

So before you make BS on German tanks , i suggest you actually educate your self on the subject.

And also this has nothing to do with the Arjun tank , Arjun can be mass produced quite easily and is well armoured and has superior munitions to the T-90 .

How can say so???? or are you just expecting it??????

I don't think so because at present conditions, internal-combustions can match turbines in power-to-weight ratio(although the turbines still have an upper hand but many other disadvantages, especially with the dust and sand) and at the same time be far more efficient. Diesel Engines can also support many type of oils/fuels other than diesel because they work on the principle of compression rather than ignition(same is the case with turbines but they are much more fuel-specific). Also, you can help troops move behind a diesel-engined tank and also save it from thermal-viewers and thermal-guided missiles because they have very less heat signature(as compared to turbines). If mated with an electric rather than a hydraulic transmission, it can lessen its- a. Heat Signature
b. Noise
c. Fuel Consumption
d. Engine maintainance times
e. Engine/Transmission inter-change times
f. Energy lost due to planetary transmissions
g. Issues with oiling the gearing system
h. Hydraulics for transmission of torque from motor to
wheels.

There are many other advantages as well....................

Well , Its not really an expectation

it's speculation

PIB Press Release

Indigenous technology for Arjun tank and Tejas Aircraft
14:43 IST
/RAJYA SABHA/

In Main Battle Tank, Arjun, the powerpack consisting of engine and transmission is imported from Germany, whereas the armament system, has been indigenously developed.

The engine used in Tejas Aircraft is imported from USA, whereas 70% of avionic systems integrated on Tejas is indigenous and 30% has been imported from Israel, France, Italy, United Kingdom and USA. Parallel efforts are being made for indigenizing remaining 30% of the avionic systems.

Only few countries in the world are currently capable of design and development of engines for aircraft and tank. These are exceptionally complex technologies and involve many disciplines and vast industrial base and capabilities. Hence development of these technologies take longer time.

Indigenous Kaveri engine development program for the Tejas aircraft is already under progress. To cater to the additional thrust requirement within the same engine envelope, co-development with an established and reputed international engine house is being contemplated.

A Project has also been proposed to develop indigenous engine and transmission on joint venture basis partnering with potential Indian Industries for Arjun Tank. DRDO has already commenced pre-project activities associated with this new development.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Lalit Kishore Chaturvedi in Rajya Sabha today.

PK/RAJ

Around the same time there was also talk about derivatives for the kaveri engine.

Derivatives:
The Indian government plans to adapt and further develop the Kaveri engine design and technology to create a gas-turbine powerplant for armoured fighting vehicles such as the Arjun tank.

Kaveri Marine Gas Turbine (KMGT), a recently developed derivative of the GTX-35VS Kaveri engine for ships.

It's very distinct that it might happen, if not , then we just expect an indigenous engine 1500 HP engine

http://www.drdo.org/tender/desidoc/desidoc29mar07sp2.pdf

Back
Top Bottom