What's new

Foreign journalists thrashed, intimidated in China

HellzHere

BANNED
Reaction score
share*share on facebookshare on linkedinshare on googleshare on emailmore...
0 Comments ** ** ** email**** print
Several journalists from international organisations were assaulted and intimidated recently, foreign press associations of China said on Tuesday, expressing* growing concern over the incidents.

In a statement, The Beijing-based FCCC, along with its sister organisations in

Hong Kong and Shanghai, said the incidents represent a "clear risk of serious physical harm to journalists merely carrying out there professional duties in China."
On July 28, a Shanghai-based journalist from a Japan's Asahi Shimbun was said to have been beaten by police while covering a demonstration in Jiangsu province. Equipment, reported to be worth several thousands of dollars, was confiscated by authorities and is yet to be returned.

On August 10, policemen, apparently in civil dress, allegedly assaulted a reporter for Hong Kong's Asia Television as he filmed members of the public being arrested outside a courthouse in the eastern city, Hefei. The reporter was covering the murder trial of Gu Kailai, the wife of ousted Communist leader Bo Xilai.

A day later, a German television crew in Henan province was alleged to have been attacked by a mob, accused of being spies and detained for nine hours at a chemical factory before being released.

"On August 13th two reporters from Poland and the United States reporting in Ordos were followed and intimidated by three cars and at least eight individuals in the middle of the night," the statement said.

"We are particularly concerned that a number of these incidents have involved members of the official security forces and associated elements," the statement said. "We call on the authorities at all levels to ensure that journalists are protected from violence and intimidation," the statement said.

The statement was sent by the FCCC, the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong, and the Shanghai foreign correspondents' Club.

On May 8, the Qatar-based Al Jazeera television news network had to shut its Beijing bureau after authorities here expelled its correspondent.

Al Jazeera's correspondent Mellisa Chan's residence visa and press accreditation were not extended and neither was the network allowed to post a replacement reporter, forcing the closure of the channel's English bureau.

The FCCC, in the May statement, said over the past two years 27 foreign reporters were made to wait for more than four months for visa approvals. Thirteen of these had to wait for more than six months and were still waiting at the time of the survey.

Twenty eight permanent postings or reporting trips had been cancelled since 2009 because applications for the required journalistic visas were rejected or ignored by the Chinese authorities.
Latest news, photos, videos, podcasts, breaking news, from South Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, Europe, America, Africa, Australia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, USA - HindustanTimes .com

Report the truth..and get thrashed and robbed by the police and government,zero freedom.
China only wants to show the plus side,truthful reporting will lead you to problems:rolleyes:

Does it matter....whether they got access to these places, those who believe China is hiding something, they already made up their mind, and those who don't want to , but have called it Western propaganda.....

Chinese government has been too nice on foreign media trashing china. I would arrest the foreign journalists and torture them. We should not allow foreign media into china. We don't need to put up with china bashing foreign media.

I would be a lot more ruthless on foreign media.

Chinese government has been too nice on foreign media trashing china. I would arrest the foreign journalists and torture them. We should not allow foreign media into china. We don't need to put up with china bashing foreign media.

Torture? What?

Just keep them out in the first place.

Yes that would be a better option. We don't need foreign media and foreign NGOs.
Mao would never allow this to happen, weaklings like Wen are the reason for this.

Agreed. They don't really bring any benefits for us, only annoyances.

Foreign NGO's are the biggest troublemakers.

Yep,don't allow foreign media.. Just follow the state sponsored ones that show what the govt wants them to,you guys probably want to be ignorant!

But that will not provide the alternative perspective of all events and the party actions to even the Chinese citizens. Because the Chinese media will any say whatever the party wants. The Chinese citizens also want another angle and another thinking and reporting about the events. So if the party has nothing to hide, why stop the international media?? Or do they have something to hide?

But that will not provide the alternative perspective of all events and the party actions to even the Chinese citizens. Because the Chinese media will any say whatever the party wants. The Chinese citizens also want another angle and another thinking and reporting about the events. So if the party has nothing to hide, why stop the international media?? Or do they have something to hide?

And remind me again why this is any of India's business?

CPC has a lot to hide, no doubt. Some of those things are simple, and I'd guess that many are horrific too. All Governments keep secrets, if ours keep more secrets than the average, how is it any of your business?

And remind me again why this is any of India's business?

CPC has a lot to hide, no doubt. Some of those things are simple, and I'd guess that many are horrific too. All Governments keep secrets, if ours keep more secrets than the average, how is it any of your business?

Same reason why Indian threads are of Chinese members business.

Just keep them out in the first place.
Good idea. And block the Internet as well. After all, with the Internet, journalists can still get their information as well as give information. Might want to consult with North Korea on this. The current crop of Chinese leadership may have forgotten how to be tough with the citizenry.

Good idea. And block the Internet as well. After all, with the Internet, journalists can still get their information as well as give information. Might want to consult with North Korea on this. The current crop of Chinese leadership may have forgotten how to be tough with the citizenry.

journalists are the scum of the earth. they should be forced to sniff agent orange as torture like you know who.....

Back
Top Bottom