What's new

Filipino officials ban Chinese diplomat amid spat

By elections we choose - and DISPOSE - of our ruling elites.

This is exactly the democratic illusion I am talking about. Ever since the Supreme Court's decision to apply first amendment to corporate entity as special citizen thus allowing it to provide campaign contribution just like individual citizen and the creation of lobbyists and special interest group. The system no longer represent the demos as in a healthy democratic system but rather the powerful and resourceful minority as the corporations and the top 2% richest Americans. Even today the famous or the infamous Bush tax break is still in place. In US only the congress is directly (at least compared to other branches) from the people. Both Senators and Supreme Court are highly bipartisan and elected and appointed within. Even the elected president has to be reviewed and approved by the Supreme Court. This elaborative checks and balances can be seen as a way to control power but also an effective way to make sure non 3rd party can seriously threaten the managed bipartisan democracy.

The press is so tightly controlled and high-ranking Party members' lives are so private, how would you find out otherwise?

US press and media deserve a completely separate discussion. One thing I agree with you is that US press is way more sophisticated in propaganda than their Chinese counterparts. They managed to be seen as open and neutral while at the same time controls public opinion better than the Chinese system. I can actually argue there are actually more different voices in China than US. US press managed to distract the populars with insignificant events as same sex marriage, stem cell research, and murder case trial while ignoring the key underlying issues in the society.

The "American Dream" usually means owning one's own home, not the assumption of supreme power.

Thats true but I guess I am referring to the more grandiose side of the American Dream which is sold on the international market - "Land of opportunities" "Be all what you can be". Anyway if that is not what you understand but rather having a house and car and get rich quick maybe then that's even worse as it promotes complacency not greatness, political withdraw than active citizenry.

Let's say I'm open-minded on the question. I figure I'll know more after China suffers through a recession - something China's current leaders have striven to avoid since 1989.

I agree with you on this one; it will be especially tough for the new generation Chinese since they never experience recession or even slowed growth. But this is a not a unique challenge for a one party republic, just think about pre-Nazi Germany (a weak democracy with severe economic downturn and strong nationalism sentiment). Actually I am more interested to see how a democracy can deal with the severe budget problem as is happening in US today. Democracy is traditionally very good at expanding expenditure since its good to bring benefit to your electoral supporters, but rather difficult to reduce spending since who ever does that first has to spend significant political dollars and their political future.

By elections we choose - and DISPOSE - of our ruling elites.

The press is so tightly controlled and high-ranking Party members' lives are so private, how would you find out otherwise?

The "American Dream" usually means owning one's own home, not the assumption of supreme power.

Japan did fine with one-party rule for decades, yet it was still a democratic system of competing elites. China's system of one-elite interests me very much; a man may run against the Party in his village and once elected immediately seek to join it. After working with Chinese students and professors for some years I don't think Chinese minds work the same way as American ones: there is a cultural give-and-take that operates, a sense of social limits, yet otherwise a complete amorality, something expected in the absence of religious sentiment. The "amorality" part is critical: a one-party system sets social limits on politics; a multi-party system allows people to break out of them; combined with amorality, that could lead to a total breakdown of society.

Let's say I'm open-minded on the question. I figure I'll know more after China suffers through a recession - something China's current leaders have striven to avoid since 1989.

We had much the same problem a century ago. Our solution (only partially effective, perhaps) was to outlaw corporate monopolies, combinations, and trusts. That won't be a sufficient solution for a one-party China.

No, China had recessions in 1993 and 2001 when GDP growth < Inflation.

Alot of people think Chinese people actually care about GDP numbers. We really don't, but they are indicators of social progress. I just want to say this:

Despite how bad the West claims Mao to have been, there has NEVER been an uprising against Mao's government. Other than in 1951 and 1964, there has never been suspension of civil rights in Mao's government.

Despite how good the West claims Deng to have been, the actual thing people remember Deng for is &#20005;&#25171; - Strike Hard campaign, where people could be arrested, tried, and executed for almost any crime real or imaginary within days, and no one will ever know how many died to his dictatorship. The corruption of the Deng regime led people to revolt in 1989 and was only ended when Jiang Zemin became president.

Deng was also a traitor whose grandson is a US citizen and whose son stole billions from national coffers. Even Jiang, ridiculed as highly corrupt, does not have US citizens as relatives.

Anti-Spiritual Pollution Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinese people have some of the highest IQs in the world (IQ and Global Inequality), China has one of the best primary education systems in the world (2009 PISA results) and high IQ people with education can't be tricked for long. We KNOW who is good, and who is bad, what works, and what doesn't work, so we don't need lectures from the outside.

:yahoo:
Frog in the well?

No, I am not Chinese.

Mao, the Great Helmsman said that the Chinese are the frog in the well.

Check that out from the threads around for the link.

You deal in human excreta and so you would be better conversant on the same. I don't deal in it. Barking up a wrong tree is what you are doing!
:yahoo:
I am afraid you are not aware of the pay the Filipinos command. HK does not pay the maximum. I have been to all the areas where they are being employed as maids ad so I don't think I require a "I said so and that is the Gospel" to tell me the reality.

HK maybe the richest city in the whole universe, but Chinese are also the most stingiest! Universal truth. So see their houses. BMV outside but barren inside.

HK Chinese have maids. And read my post before taking off in a tizzy!

I am not a laughing stock. You qualify to the T.

Bluff and Bluster is the Chinese forte and you lead!

well said bro...how rude of these people...why cant they respect each other no matter which ever country they belong...their should be some respect given even to the enemies....:flame:

Back
Top Bottom