Fighter deal by March 2012

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
Govt plans to award fighter deal by March 2012
By Bharghavi Nagaraju
BANGALORE | Wed Feb 9, 2011 9:06pm IST

(Reuters) - The government plans to award an $11 billion fighter jet contract by the end of March 2012, its defence minister said, as manufacturers at India's airshow vied to boost their share of a fast-growing military hardware market.

The six global firms competing for the contract to provide India with 126 fighter jets were among those showing off their wares at the biennial event, which has become increasingly important as Asia's third-largest economy steps up spending to modernise its military.

India's decision on a final bidder will likely be based not only on technology and price, but also on its desire to diversify from primarily Russian deals and expand alliances to, for example, the United States and Europe.

U.S. defence firms are looking to take advantage of the Obama administration's recent removal of nine Indian aerospace and defence firms from a list of restricted entities that cannot be sold certain technologies with military uses.

Boeing (BA.N) has begun talks with the Indian Space Research Organisation, one of the firms removed from the prohibited list, to collaborate on space technology, the U.S.-based aerospace giant told Reuters at the airshow.

Rival Lockheed Martin (LMT.N) said it would also look at the opportunity created by the removal of companies from the list.

Still, barriers to trade remain. A senior executive at BAE Systems at the show said the British defence contractor would like to see India raise the level of foreign direct investment in defence, currently capped at 26 percent.

"In an ideal world, we would like that to go altogether, but I would be more than happy if India raised it," Alan Garwood, BAE's group business development director, told Reuters.

"If India wants to transform from 70 percent imported to 70 percent indigenous ... then there is a really high level of technology transfer, and it involves investment from defence companies. Doing that when you can have only 26 percent of the action is quite difficult," he said.

BAE will also partner Mahindra & Mahindra MAHM in developing and producing a combat vehicle for the Indian Army if Mahindra wins the contract, Brigadier K. Hai, Chief Executive of Mahindra Defence, told Reuters.

Many companies are vying for the contract, which requires the bidder to develop and produce 2,600 armoured vehicles designed to transport troops in hostile terrain.

That tender is part of India's efforts to upgrade its armed forces, which still rely heavily on Soviet-era equipment, and is in keeping with its growing economic stature, an increasing assertiveness by China and a perceived threat from Pakistan.

India has budgeted $32.5 billion for defence spending in the year to end-March, up about 4 percent on the previous year.

Meanwhile, a burgeoning middle class in an economy growing at nearly 9 percent has spurred rapid growth in commercial aviation.

EASIER PROCUREMENT

Indian defence minister A.K. Antony said India was making the procurement process easier. Several global firms announced plans on Tuesday to set up operations in India, which is looking to spend $50 billion on its military over the next five years.

"We have been fine-tuning our defence procurement procedure through periodic reviews to make it as transparent and efficient as possible," Antony said on Wednesday.

"We have expanded the scope of existing offset policy guidelines to include civil aerospace, internal security and training ... We hope this will provide even better opportunities to foreign manufacturers," he said.

Under its offset policy, India requires foreign defence companies to invest part of their contract award in the country.

That mandate is not deterring foreign firms from competing for business in India.

Lockheed, which sold India six C-130 J transport aircraft in a $1 billion deal, told Reuters the country had expressed interest in buying another six. The planes are considered the world's most advanced transport aircraft.

Saab's JAS-39 Gripen is competing with Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet, Dassault's Rafale, Lockheed's F-16 and Russia's MiG-35 to win the fighter contract, which would be one of the largest defence export orders in history.

Cassidian, the defence arm of EADS and a partner in the Eurofighter Typhoon, is also competing for the fighter award. Eurofighter is a four-nation consortium of EADS, representing Germany and Spain, Britain's BAE Systems and Italy's Finmeccanica.

Antony said the fighter jet contract process was "going smoothly".

Source: Reuters

You know a year ago there were reports that the decision would be made by march 2011. Then the date was shifted to june/july, then it got moved to Nov. Now it has shifted to March 2012.

At that time also i said i hope we don't extend the date this time. Now again i would say the same thing...I hope this time we don't extend the date.

God knows what kind of negotiations are going on ? I hope this time the winner does not exploit the flaws of our offset policy and we actually get ToT. Govt. should at-least make sure that we get tot for aesa and IRST, forget about engine.

Still, barriers to trade remain. A senior executive at BAE Systems at the show said the British defence contractor would like to see India raise the level of foreign direct investment in defence, currently capped at 26 percent.

"In an ideal world, we would like that to go altogether, but I would be more than happy if India raised it," Alan Garwood, BAE's group business development director, told Reuters.

"If India wants to transform from 70 percent imported to 70 percent indigenous ... then there is a really high level of technology transfer, and it involves investment from defence companies. Doing that when you can have only 26 percent of the action is quite difficult," he said.

This BAE guy can sell ice to the Eskimos... It is not in the interest of the defence companies to help India indigenise. They will do their damnedest to do as little substantive ToT as possible all the while sweet talking your officials.

Its completely now over ma head what the GOI planning to do now.Im afraid to think that by the time this deal will commence the 4.5 gen would be outdated perhaps,and companies will loose the interest later on.

Can some one plz lighten up that around the world is it a general criteria of procurement which takes so long or otherwise.

Its completely now over ma head what the GOI planning to do now.Im afraid to think that by the time this deal will commence the 4.5 gen would be outdated perhaps,and companies will loose the interest later on.

Can some one plz lighten up that around the world is it a general criteria of procurement which takes so long or otherwise.

Seriously, I don't see why they are waiting so long. The four are all good planes and any good decision now may be worth more than a perfect decision 1, 2, 3 years down the road.

You know a year ago there were reports that the decision would be made by march 2011. Then the date was shifted to june/july, then it got moved to Nov. Now it has shifted to March 2012.

At that time also i said i hope we don't extend the date this time. Now again i would say the same thing...I hope this time we don't extend the date.

God knows what kind of negotiations are going on ? I hope this time the winner does not exploit the flaws of our offset policy and we actually get ToT. Govt. should at-least make sure that we get tot for aesa and IRST, forget about engine.

You're absolutely correct! We are fed with this good for nothing Antony.

Seriously, I don't see why they are waiting so long. The four are all good planes and any good decision now may be worth more than a perfect decision 1, 2, 3 years down the road.

it is in these conditions, i realise too much of beaurocracy is bad. in this regards, china is way ahead, in single party system, the unity of thought is there so decisions are taken much faster. but here in india, one has to pass through various parliamentory and cabinet committees.

I think so too! :D

Well why are they wasting all this time when the air crashes of Mig 21 are at all time high. Like in 2009 I heard that they are going to award the winner of the contract in March 2010. Then they said it will be awarded in October/November 2010. Then I heard it will be awarded in July 2011. Now it is late March 2012. Like are they buying 4.5 generation AC or a flying saucer to invade Mars???

Do the guys in MOD want more pilots to get killed in Air Crashes or they don't want the Air crash record of IAF getting spoiled. :lol:

Well why are they wasting all this time when the air crashes of Mig 21 are at all time high. Like in 2009 I heard that they are going to award the winner of the contract in March 2010. Then they said it will be awarded in October/November 2010. Then I heard it will be awarded in July 2011. Now it is late March 2012. Like are they buying 4.5 generation AC or a flying saucer to invade Mars???

Do the guys in MOD want more pilots to get killed in Air Crashes or they don't want the Air crash record of IAF getting spoiled. :lol:

the best part for india to keep it hanging is - they dont want anybody to sell hitech hardware to paksitan.

keeping everybody waiting has worked very well for india

the best part for india to keep it hanging is - they dont want anybody to sell hitech hardware to paksitan.

keeping everybody waiting has worked very well for india

Well if that's the reason. You guys are "genius"... :lol:

Well if that's the reason. You guys are "genius"... :lol:

it seems liek it - because if it was for stratagic reasoning india should be goign for fift gen fighter , in the current age.

by the time they decide the final option, it will be too bloody late ,as delivery will take some time too.

i belive they will announce the winner by this year end and have the sighning by march next year.

What is the use of awarding the contract to the potential seller whose product is not ready?(EF), they are just waiting to mature it...

Also this deal too very strategic, lets see deep the sellers will go..

Back
Top Bottom