What's new

Farewell To The Fantan

Here is one of the thunder i captured from my mobile...was not interested in capturing it till the last moment.

PS: Check the tail, a/c is not wearing 16/26 Sqn markings.

thunder_119.jpg

the aircraft probably rolled out couple of weeks or maybe days earlier, and is probably going through flight tests, instrument tests etc cause u kno every new aircrafts needs to go through that...

The A-5 was operated by three PAF Squadrons, 7, 16, and 26.
No. 7 was first to convert some years back with Mirages bought from Australia, while the other two units have recently stood up with the newly inducted and much more capable, JF-17 Thunder,

so that means mirages are next right?
and since mirage 3 performs air supriority, dont u think its time that PAF inducts SD-10 for thunders to take over the role?

I wonder if some A-5's will be stored away incase of war time use ? any comments....

when an aircraft is retired, I believe it's support/maintenace infrastructure is aslo dismanteled, and i don't think it is feasible to store a/c for long term as you need to run their engines every now and then to keep them in flyable state. Thirdly once the A/c is grounded and pilots assigned to other aircraft, they will naturally become less proficient in flying the grounded plane, especially after flying a better equiped plane like thunder. my two cents..

so that means mirages are next right?
and since mirage 3 performs air supriority, dont u think its time that PAF inducts SD-10 for thunders to take over the role?

No, my guess is that the older F-7Ps will be next since the Mirages have gone through extensive upgrades and remains a potent platform.
And as the JF-17 matures, no doubt it will be equipped with new weapon systems including the SD-10.

No, my guess is that the older F-7Ps will be next since the Mirages have gone through extensive upgrades and remains a potent platform.
And as the JF-17 matures, no doubt it will be equipped with new weapon systems including the SD-10.

my guess wld be the same but only around 40 mirages were upgraded (upgraded by sagem) - it cld possibly be a combination of both (older mirages and earlier model F-7s)

my guess wld be the same but only around 40 mirages were upgraded (upgraded by sagem) - it cld possibly be a combination of both (older mirages and earlier model F-7s)
Sir, I believe the oldest Mirages were in the inventory of No.5 Squadron, which have recently been relinquished, even these machines dating back to 1967 had some upgrades, like a JF-17 type antenna, RWR and other gadgets.
I believe some of the Sagem upgraded aircraft were used to raise a new squadron (27 ?) Night hawks.

Mirage+ROSE-I+performing+high+level+CAP.jpg

The next squadron to be replaced by JF17 is a Mirage squadron.

initial 40 in France, 40 more in PAC to form ROSE 2 and ROSE 3, overall 100 were upgraded. Sorry for being off topic. Next in line will be the non ROSE Mirages followed by earliest F-7ps. Waiting to see JFT at Masroor soon.

the main issue with the mirage inventory is the integrity of the airframes - some mirages are now +40 years old - they have undergone structural upgrades at the MRF but have to be retired at some point - case in point 5 squadron re-equipping with the F-16 blk 52M.

so yes as the JFT and more F-16s enter service we will say good-bye to these venerated war birds!

@ Fatman.

absolutely, few years ago, French technicians and experts came to Pakistan and they were shocked to see us operating earliest variants of Mirage and wondered how we were able to fly them when the airframe fatigue life was well over? Later, They were very impressed by the work done on them at MRF and other factories but recommended us to retire them ASAP. It amazes me too when i see these Mirages fly here in Karachi even today many times a day but they must be retired as soon as possible, at least the earlier frames.

@ Fatman.

absolutely, few years ago, French technicians and experts came to Pakistan and they were shocked to see us operating earliest variants of Mirage and wondered how we were able to fly them when the airframe fatigue life was well over? Later, They were very impressed by the work done on them at MRF and other factories but recommended us to retire them ASAP. It amazes me too when i see these Mirages fly here in Karachi even today many times a day but they must be retired as soon as possible, at least the earlier frames.

Indeed the earlier Non ROSE Mirages need to be retired ASAP but certainly not the ex Libyan, French and Australian Mirages. Some of these airframes still have a lot of life left in them especially the Libyan ones. Cannibalization has already started to keep up with the spares, i reckon the ROSE Upgraded Mirages and PG's will still serve a decade. The ROSE Mirages to this day are still excellent platforms, they are very well suited for strike missions and launching munitions from stand off ranges. If you look at the condition of the ROSE Upgraded Mirages, its excellent and we have installed the necessary avionics and munitions to complement these fine machines. The only problem was their endurance but we have erased that with Air Refuelling. Hats off to the PAF for a very bold and excellent move by procuring and upgrading these jets considering the tiny budget that was allocated for this project.

im pretty sure after a-5s, mirages are next, cauuse even the ACM said that maintenance is a nightmare for PAF as they are using parts that are already "dead".......

After the news of the fantan retirement, i have started some artwork on the tribute sketch, it is still in progress but i still do have some artwork of a-5

photo.php

im pretty sure after a-5s, mirages are next, cauuse even the ACM said that maintenance is a nightmare for PAF as they are using parts that are already "dead".......

last i checked, we are operating nearly 180 mirages - take the 54 ROSE examples out and the balance will be retired as the JFT comes into service in large numbers.

Back
Top Bottom