Not open for further replies.

Reichmarshal

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Eurofighter group proposes $5 bln work for Turkey's defense industry

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/...p?enewsid=44656

Monday, May 29, 2006

Eurofighter proposes Turkey final assembly, weapons system integration, parts manufacturing and maintenance tasks for over 400 aircraft. The proposal matches rival JSF groupâ local work offer of over $4 billion

Florence/Grosseto, Italy TDN Defense Desk

The four-nation, European Eurofighter consortium that builds the Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jet has proposed a $5 billion industrial participation program to Turkey, a deal that will take effect if Ankara decides to become the group's fifth partner.

Giovanni Bertolone, chief executive officer for Alenia Aeronautica, the Italian partners of the Eurofighter group that promotes the fighter in Turkey, said that the proposal involves the final assembly of the entire program beginning with the manufacture of aircraft for Turkey. An Alenia official said that the assembly work would involve about 100 aircraft for the Turkish Air Force plus over 300 aircraft the Eurofighter group hopes to sell to other buyers.

The work will also involve the integration of weapons systems, production of parts including carbon fiber as well as maintenance and support for the fighter jets.

This is a comprehensive proposal presently in the process of deep discussions (with the Turkish authorities), Bertolone told reporters in Florence. Our impression is that the SSM [Turkey's defense procurement office] are favorable to this industrial participation proposal.

If it went ahead, Bertolone said, the proposal will allow the Turkish Air Force to gain operational independence -- the ability to autonomously maintain its fighter fleet. It is our opinion that Turkey's local industry is well-developed, and prepared for ambitious hi-tech tasks, Bertolone said. Turkey qualifies to emerge as the operational support center for the Typhoon.

He said if Turkey became the group's fifth partner, it would be tasked with promoting the fighter in countries with which it has friendly relations, like Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates. The Eurofighter consortium believes that Turkey, with its advanced aviation industry, fulfils all the requirements to become a partner of the group, Bertolone said. Partnership in the group, he said, would mean having access to source codes and other critical technology.

Asked if he agreed that Ankara would be discouraged from joining the European partnership if Turkey faced major problems in its accession talks with the European Union later this year, Bertolone said that although political unity was one of the essential ingredients of the idea to build a European fighter, politics should not mask the industrial, military and technological benefits of the program.Let's be optimistic, he said. Europe's history is full of examples that illustrate political unity went parallel to cooperation in aviation.

Earlier this year, Turkey launched a competition for the procurement of 120 new generation fighters. Recently, Eurofighter's cross-Atlantic rival in the contest, the multinational Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) group led by Lockheed Martin -- the world's biggest defense firm -- that builds the F-35, proposed a package of over $4 billion for Turkey's defense industry.

Turkey is a partner of the JSF group, and has invested $175 million for its development phase. Turkey's top procurement officials have repeatedly said that Turkey will either choose between the F-35 and the Typhoon, or go for a combination of both aircraft to meet its future fighter/strike requirements. For example, Murad Bayar, Turkey's chief procurement official, has said that by the end of 2006 Turkey will decide whether to go for the F-35 only, the Eurofighter only, or both.

Defense analysts view the F-35 as a perfect striker, future aircraft designed for mainly air-to-ground missions, and the Typhoon as a solid fighter for mainly air-to-air missions. Ideally, a country should possess both aircraft if, of course, it has the means to afford them from both a procurement and a maintenance point of view, a Rome-based defense analyst said. I am not sure if Turkey's finances are strong enough to support this idea. Britain and Italy have decided to keep both aircraft in their fleet.

Last December, the Typhoon became fully operational in the Italian Air Force and has so far gone through over 1,600 flying hours. The first Typhoon had arrived in Italy's Grosseto air base in April 2005.

A demo flight at the Grosseto base showed that the Typhoon is up and running and defending Italian skies. The Typhoon fleet at Grosseto is ready to take to the air in 15 minutes around the clock. The aircraft are used for air defense, surveillance, training and reconnaissance and surveillance missions. The aircraft will soon be deployed for NATO-led missions in Afghanistan.

The Eurofighter program's first tranche foresees the manufacturing of 142 aircraft for its four partners: Britain, Germany, Italy and Spain. Its second tranche will cover 236 aircraft for the partner nations plus 18 aircraft for Austria. Recently, the Eurofighter consortium penned a deal with Saudi Arabia for the sale of an unknown number of the Typhoon -- industry sources say the deal involves around 100 aircraft.

Eurofighter officials say if Turkey joined the partnership earliest deliveries for the Turkish Air Force could be scheduled for 2010. Analysts say deliveries under the JSF program would not begin before 2014.

The Typhoon could be a multi-purpose move for the Turks, the same defense analyst said. It can be a stop-gap solution, boost the local industry and complete the F-35 for a fully deterrent air force

© 2005 Dogan Daily News Inc. www.turkishdailynews.com.tr

I don't think that Pakistan is going to invest in another platform for the next 10 years besides the already ordered. I agree that it would enhance capabilities but at what costs? Is it easy to add a multi national produced fighterjet if we have to remind that UK did not return spare parts when Pakistan send to them for maintenance? Do we have to remember that they will deliver an item with extreme high maintenance costs and probably 0 chance to get latest weapons for affordable prices (remember that Dassault ssld patrs for old mirages more expensice then their weight in gold...). Pakistan has a clear planning and I don't think that EF2000 fits in that position after we ordered 36 J10, 150 JF17, 36 F16MLU and 18 block 52...

Munir said:
I don't think that Pakistan is going to invest in another platform for the next 10 years ...

Exactly, they've already spend alot on thunder and AWACS deal, pakistan is further looking for cheaper option like J-10. US and European stuff is always expensive, but US has given alot of favors to Pakistan either by reducing the cost or by providing free stuff, as a key ally and for its own purposes.

I don't think that Pakistan is going to invest in another platform for the next 10 years ...
F10 and thunders are best for defending home land but PAF still lacks deep strike capablities.I mean they don't have any fighter for deep penetration. so they may go for EF2000 in future afterall It depends upon IAF MRCA deal.

Owais said:
F10 and thunders are best for defending home land but PAF still lacks deep strike capablities.I mean they don't have any fighter for deep penetration. so they may go for EF2000 in future afterall It depends upon IAF MRCA deal.

PAf wont be looking that eagerly into a deep strike AC,they wud be happy to get pt defence fighters and AS fighters.
The budget being the reason.

The 200 odd JF 17 and 30 odd J 10 and the AWACS wud be all they can afford right now.

Bull said:
PAf wont be looking that eagerly into a deep strike AC,they wud be happy to get pt defence fighters and AS fighters.
The budget being the reason.

The 200 odd JF 17 and 30 odd J 10 and the AWACS wud be all they can afford right now.
right now => till when??

Economy is growing by 7% annually and will pick up the pace during the next five year plan. So basically with this growthrate GDP will double in 11 years or even less if we reach 8%.
Pakistan will be buying more and better stuff in near future. :)

genmirajborgza786 said:
i think PAF should go for the jas39 grippen fighter jets

Jas-39 is still a candidate for future acquisation.
We're already buying the Erieye from Sweden, the door is open for more. :)

Saudi Arabia is getting these eurofighters, don't Pakistani pilots train them? if they do, then they would already familiar with their capabilities.

I think Jas 39 is an outstanding candidate! Sweden is also investing with KTH university in Pakistan, KTH is among the best in the world when it comes to engineering. Pakistan has a lot of opportunities, inshaAllah as br Neo says the economy is growing steadily to take full advantage of these opportunities in the near future.

Some Pakistani official reportedly said PAF had a requirement to procure 25 to 30 fighters in the class of Rafale and Eurofighter; however such a procurement will not take place before 2019. Currently there are no plans to procure heavy twin engine fighters.

Both Rafale and EF2000 have their restricions and price problems. I highly doubt that Pakistan will get those even (or better said) in small batches. There is no need to get those in Pak-India arena. Block52 will do extremely well certainkly if with latest weapons like JDAMS, AMRAAMC5, HMS and latest FLIR. The bulk will be JF17 (assistes by Mirages as long as possible). They will join J10 program and develope something like Block52+ for less. I doubt they will get something like JSF or comparable.

Well it would have been great for PAF if we had the resources to buy Eurofighter. its really the class that we darely need, it can match the su30mki and even is better. But its money that matters. But i think PAF would be looking at buying a new aircraft may be after ten years or so, i don't see any new buy. as i have read that PAF may buy upto 150 J10 so i think the intent is not on Eurofighter or Rafale .

i think pakistan should invest in this programme with this pakistan airforce can give answer to any fighter jet india buys till 2050 i hope they should look in to it atleast 50 of those willl do good for paf and paf should not buy J 1o what paf has to do get 2 billion dollars for next five years at once what ever do just buy it if our government willing to buy these i dont seee any reason why we cant buy it 38 million a piece guranteed air superirirty for 40 years is a cheap deal for me and for a country like pakistan who has bigger enemy of its size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom