What's new

Dynamics of China-Bangladesh relations

As I said before, if China becomes a superpower, then it will start acting like a typical superpower. A superpower 12000 kilometers away is far better than a superpower just beside you, that too a somewhat autocratic superpower who is not even answerable to its own people. A very bad idea indeed.
And in that case probably BD, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will need India to keep things in check!!! :D

This is where I disagree with you!

Chinese will be different to Westerners as they won't go around the world bombing countries they disagree with or need resources from.

Anyway it will be good for the world if there is another superpower as the US has totally abused it's position since the end of the Soviet Union.

India naturally won't like the Chines being a superpower but you need to up your game as you are not giveing them any competition whether economically or military now:D

Simple trade is not what I am talking about here, major trade happens between China & Japan also, that's business. I am talking about the attitude of dependency on China as a "Savior" or "Messiah" who will take care of everything for Bangladesh. Pakistan thought the same about USA, and USA offered them much more than what China is offering, only for their strategic interests. When the time for payback came, USA simply dragged Pakistan by its neck to the US War on Terror!! Do you think Pakistan ever wanted to be a part of WoT and bomb their own "Strategic Assets" that they had created? Pakistan did not have a choice as they were already too dependent on USA, hooks always come with lucrative baits!!

And don't think that China will be any different than USA when they will have that kind of power, power has its own language, maybe you have read the "Animal Farm". Already China's neighbors are not particularly happy with China. I am again repeating, smaller sub-continent nations are nothing but strategic assets for China, that's why China is so favorable to them, but time for payback also comes.

And in PDF things have gone to the level of China worshiping, even if a Chinese posts just a "Semicolon", that will get ten thanks from Bangladeshi & Pakistani members!! :D
Self-reliance is always a better choice, more respectable also.

Aha...that's bad, everyone here should thank indian members whatever craps they vomit here. When do you think China will feel that these small neighbors in SA are not any more of strategic interests to her? Only when india dissolves as a state, that time these neighbors will not need her as well. And don't mix up Bangladesh with Pakistan, you should have little idea about Bangali people. These people once thought india as its friend but the moment they found india acting as master and on bilateral relations BD was losing its interests, they moved away. These people don't follow anyone as master (good example is Mujib, most of them hate this guy). One thing we've been focusing from the beginning is reducing reliance on others, as a result it's only 2 percent reliance on foreign aid currently and this small land is almost a food sufficient nation now. US has tried a lot to take a location for its base here, once they tried to capture petroleum/energy sector...all failed.

Keeping strategic alliance with any nation doesn't make it slave, it's been going on since long ago. india being a big country and nation has always kept strategic relation from its beginning with big powers like Soviet Union before and now US.....is it slave of them? Obviously, india doesn't have the capability to be like US, Soviet..so it'll always do things like smaller SA nation do keeping relation with big power for strategic purpose because it could be big on size but not on capability.

Let's put things in perspective Bangladesh is a small nation (if you can call a nation of 160 million small), srounded by a larger regional entity and we know that as of yet we are not militarily strong, our priority is to build our economy from the present $153bn to something around the $300 bn in the next 10-12 years so that we can build a powerful military, we are playing a waiting game.

Right now we need to build closer relations with, China (the enemy of my enemy is my friend, as the saying go's), Russia and the US, to help us build our nation, it's nothing more then that. It's just in our interst to build good relation both economic and strategic with more powerful nations until we are ready to stand on our own feet.

This is where I disagree with you!

Chinese will be different to Westerners as they won't go around the world bombing countries they disagree with or need resources from.

Anyway it will be good for the world if there is another superpower as the US has totally abused it's position since the end of the Soviet Union.

India naturally won't like the Chines being a superpower but you need to up your game as you are not giveing them any competition whether economically or military now:D

How do you assume that China will be different if she becomes a superpower? If you look into the history, every superpower of its time acted in a similar manner, power has its own language. China has already started throwing its weight around in SCS area and most of the nations in that area are becoming increasingly worried about it. I still consider China as a superpower will be far worst than USA, as they are not even unanswerable to their own people. Autocratic powers are more brutal. Also, don't forget the defense doctrine of "Preemptive Strike" they follow, China always attacked first in whatever war they fought after WW2.

And I can discuss about China's economy & military vis a vis India from a long term perspective, but this is not the right thread to do so. But I can only say that a few things are really overrated!! :D

How do you assume that China will be different if she becomes a superpower? If you look into the history, every superpower of its time acted in similar manner, power has its own language. China has already started throwing its weight around in SCS area and most of the nations in that area are becoming increasingly worried about it. I still consider China as a superpower will be far worst than USA, as they are not even unanswerable to their own people. Autocratic powers are more brutal.

And I can discuss about China's economy & military vis a vis India from a long term perspective, but this is not the right thread to do so. But I can only say that a few things are really overrated!! :D

Just because the US goes around the world bombing countries does not mean that the Chinese will do the same thing!

US is a country born out of the genocide of the indigenous inhabitants to make way for whites, so I am not surprised at the way they have been acting around the world:lol:

Anyway, as far as BD is concerned a superpower China will be good for us, so we welcome it with welcome arms. If India does not like it, then I suggest that you get your act together and build up your economy and military and be in a position to do something about it.

We have no borders with China, therefore no territorial issues. They on the other hand are keen on helping our development efforts, contrast that with our neighbour, that backstabs it's so called AL allies. A strong powerful China is always in our interest both as a counter weight to the US and other wannabe regional powers.

1. China would be hoping to squeeze India for breath with three allies - Pakistan, SL and BD. Maldives and Nepal also dislike India's bossy attitude. An issue in this will be BD-Burma relations. As long as the Rohingya issue remains unresolved BD-Burma relations will remain tense. It will be interesting to watch, after Hasina has gone, whether China will balance transfer of military eqpt to BD keeping Burma's concern in mind.

2. How does China view BD in international politics? The people of BD (and even Bengalees living across the border),have always had a soft corner for China.Sino-Pak relations were pioneered by Bengalee leaders. Suhrowardy, Mohd Ali Bogra, Maulana Bhashani and Sheikh Mujib had made significant contribution in this. Maulana was the first Pak leader that had impressed Mao Tse Tung.Throughout his life the Maulana was dubbed pro-China.Sheikh was a member of one of the earliest friendship delegations to China. This was led by Pir of Manki Sharif. And neither Pakistan nor China can ever forget the contribution of the Bengalee diplomat Khwaja Kaisar as the ambassador.Love for China is something that has always existed among BD masses.

3.China obviously likes to keep SL and BD out of too much Indian influence.Similarly she wants to thwart US entry into Burma. But for China,today BD armed forces would have been ragtag. China has been the only reliable ally in UNSC and international affairs. In economy,infrastructure development and industrial progress, China practically gave blank check to BD.

4. However, China must watch with consternation BD's total surrender to India's whims under the current govt. China does not see India anything more than a US proxy. Therefore, all must wait for Hasina / BAL to go before real warmup of Sino-BD relations can materialize.

China needs to be a bit more assertive in the region. They are way too soft while dealing with their peripheral regions both for the sake of regional stability and its own interest.

Posted it in another thread, but since the topic is similar; re-posting it here:

A few reality checks:

1. The gap between China & Bangladesh is so huge in every aspect that a "friendship" is not feasible, what is feasible is a "Master-Slave" relationship, same as Pak-USA or Pak-China relationship.

2. We fought 3 big wars and 2 small wars with Pakistan, nobody came to their rescue in real terms, what extra Bangladesh can offer that they will come to Bangladesh's rescue.

3. India is kind of a heavyweight for China to take on, and will remain so in future also. 50 years back we have discarded our pacifist policies and started building our military strength, and continuing to do so. Don't get carried away buy the false troll propaganda of some Chinese and other nationals on PDF.

4. China's interest in South-Asia, particularly in the Indian sub-continent region is for some strategic interests, the smaller countries in this region are just strategic assets for China, they will discard these strategic assets whenever their strategic interests are over or become unsustainable. A good example can be the Pak-USA "friendship".

5. No matter what, the neighboring countries will remain neighbors forever, there are no alternatives. I think aspiring for good relations is a relatively pragmatic solution compared to hostility and sinister games like supporting insurgency & terrorism in neighboring country, etc.

All the best to Bangladeshis for their quest to build "true friendship" with China.

Isn't this just the chanakyan narrow minded perspective that for obvious reason doesn't concern BD in the least bit. The reality is we are surrounded by a dirt poor hell hole hell bent on screwing us for good and only have ill intent and hegemonic goals and that's why Bangladeshis want to have strong relations with countries like China which doesn't pose a threat to us in any way whatsoever unlike the chanakyan hegemon surrounding us from 3 sides.

Back
Top Bottom