What's new

Documentary on Indian Navy's Killer Squadron that lit up Karachi in '71

Nothing..
The crude tanks at Manora were aflame.. and visible from miles.. and the Chief's refuge was closer..
He was in a drunken stupor during the attacks.. far from any leadership role.
And was heard commenting to his son in front of senior officers
"MY!.. What a LOVELY Bonfire!".
This has been corroborated by not one.. but multiple senior officers and those who were juniors then.

I am sure he was being sarcastic. No sane person would say that, I am sure not even the Indians would say something like this.

Btw, Why am I not seeing any activity on this thread?

I have heard on many threads in pdf about the high morals/professionalism of PN among all the three branches. But this Admiral's comment shows a different low. The junior officers must have felt devastated by it. I am not trolling but he should have been court martialed.

From what all what i have read and heard, the pakistan soldiers/naval officers etc in lower levels have no dearth of bravery and commitment ( IA themselves have acknowledged it ) but only the commander level officers failed to hold on to their nerves in crunch situations.

I am sure he was being sarcastic. No sane person would say that, I am sure not even the Indians would say something like this.

Btw, Why am I not seeing any activity on this thread?

far from sarcasm.. he was in a merry mood.. expecting the massacre.

I have heard on many threads in pdf about the high morals/professionalism of PN among all the three branches. But this Admiral's comment shows a different low. The junior officers must have felt devastated by it. I am not trolling but he should have been court martialed.

From what all what i have read and heard, the pakistan soldiers/naval officers etc in lower levels have no dearth of bravery and commitment ( IA themselves have acknowledged it ) but only the commander level officers failed to hold on to their nerves in crunch situations.

Because of their own colonialist attitude.
I say this all over.. India will win again and again as long as there are "lions led by lambs".

Nothing..
The crude tanks at Manora were aflame.. and visible from miles.. and the Chief's refuge was closer..
He was in a drunken stupor during the attacks.. far from any leadership role.
And was heard commenting to his son in front of senior officers
"MY!.. What a LOVELY Bonfire!".
This has been corroborated by not one.. but multiple senior officers and those who were juniors then.

No Way !!...I mean if this is true, was he punished?

IN attacked PN whose chief was drunk?

No Way !!...I mean if this is true, was he punished?

IN attacked PN whose chief was drunk?

Who would dare?
he was dismissed by Bhutto.. but nothing more.
In attacked PN whose chief was drunk..
PA whose Chief(and president of Pakistan) was drunk and sleeping around.
Only the PAF Chief showed character...and that reflects in the performance it gave.

"Lions led by Lambs".....

A lot of that going on in our sub-continent. No country is immune in this part of the world.

Oscar, since you have heard the recordings in the museum, could you tell that they were not native Russian speakers? Any strong 'desi' giveaway?

Who would dare?
he was dismissed by Bhutto.. but nothing more.
In attacked PN whose chief was drunk..
PA whose Chief(and president of Pakistan) was drunk and sleeping around.
Only the PAF Chief showed character...and that reflects in the performance it gave.

Lions led by lambs.... :lol:

We also know how devastating such instances can be... Eg. in 1962 one of the first peaks/important post in arunachal pradesh was voluntarily left by the GoC citing lack of equipments and fire support ? ( How the general accepted is out of my comprehension ) And when the PLA started pouring in to the region unchallenged, there was no stopping them after that. One after another, posts were either emptied or over run by the tide of the PLA army.

Till today the records are kept classified. Dunno what happened to that officer !!

I recently met an Indian army soldier in depatures at Amritsar airport (won't tell you which unit he was from, mostly because he wouldn't tell me!) on my way home to UK, got talking to him and found out he could speak ELEVEN languages English, Russian, Urdu, Hebrew, Tamil, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi(admittedly his native tongue) Arabic, Saraiki and Pashtun ( not hard to see which region this guy's AO was!). He also said he would probably learn more. Like I said he wouldn't tell me his unit but he was a VERY fit looking man and very built but I spoke to him in English and it was perfect ( he even knew slang!).

One of the most incredible encounters of my life, just surreal. I learned quite a lot but without him giving much away (it was implied and his silence to many of my questions gave me the answers I desired). Very nice guy all the same, I can understand the secrecy.

Needless to say he declined my request to pose with me for a few quick photos!

"Lions led by Lambs".....

A lot of that going on in our sub-continent. No country is immune in this part of the world.

Oscar, since you have heard the recordings in the museum, could you tell that they were not native Russian speakers? Any strong 'desi' giveaway?

None so..
I was convinced for a long time(as are many senior PN officers from those times) that those are Russians.

It is not unusual for defeated side to try to find a scapegoat instead of blaming on procedural failures/systemic issues. Sometimes there is nobody to blame because it was bound to happen anyway.
Some of the easy explanations:
71 defeat on eastern front because Niazi was a traiter/weak leader.
PN chief is a drunk and hence navy could not stop missile boats.
If pakistan cricket team loses to India,it has to be due to match fixing.
And almost everything wrong in pakistan can easily explained by saying "politicians are corrupt"

It is not unusual for defeated side to try to find a scapegoat instead of blaming on procedural failures. Sometimes there is nobody to blame because it was bound to happen anyway.
Some of the easy explanations:
71 defeat on eastern front because Niazi was a traiter/weak leader.
PN chief is a drunk and hence navy could not stop missile boats.
If pakistan cricket team loses to India,it has to be due to match fixing.
And almost everything wrong in pakistan can easily explained by saying "politicians are corrupt"

It is called escapist mentality.:D

^ +1,

The moderator claimed in post #35, "only the PAF Chief showed character...and that reflects in the performance it gave."

The whole E. Pakistan airforce fleet was either destroyed or grounded.

Mod,

I recommend you read THUNDER OVER DACCA: 1971

It was written by Air Vice Marshal (retd.) B.K. Bishnoi ( Commanding Officer of the First Supersonics) for Vayu Aerospace and some excerpts are hosted on BR for public consumption (just web search the name).

Back
Top Bottom