What's new

Diaoyu Islands News and Updates

Those who take the side of China on Senkaku island issue are....

1. They believe geographical distance is the only indicator that matters in all cases, no exceptions.

2. They are hardcore anti-Japanese.

See, I can categorize too, and pigeonhole people too!

We both know know the issue is more complicated then that...

If the island is close to Japan then it is Japanese and if it is close to China then it is Japan. We understand your 'logic', no problem.

If the island is close to Japan then it is Japanese and if it is close to China then it is Japan. We understand your 'logic', no problem.

Why bother even responding to you? You want simple answers for a complex problem, far be it from me to teach you...

China "highly vigilant" over Japanese fighters flying over disputed islands

(Reuters) - China is "highly vigilant" about Japanese jet fighter flights over islands claimed by both countries and Japan must bear responsibility for any consequences, Chinese military and maritime officials said on Thursday.

The officials, speaking a day after a new hawkish Japanese prime minister took office, were responding to Japan sending jet fighters several times in the past two weeks to intercept Chinese patrol planes approaching airspace above the islands.

The situation in the volatile East China Sea region has severely strained relations between Beijing and Tokyo.

"We will decisively fulfill our tasks and missions while coordinating with relevant departments...so as to safeguard China's maritime law enforcement activities and protect the country's territorial integrity and maritime rights," Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun told a news conference.

Japan's Defence Ministry has acknowledged scrambling F-15 jets on several occasions in recent weeks to intercept Chinese marine surveillance planes approaching the islands, called the Diaoyu in Chinese and the Senkaku by Japan.

It says a Chinese aircraft breached what it considers Japanese airspace for the first time on December 13.

The Japanese government administers the islands and purchased three of them from a private owner this past summer, sparking violent anti-Japanese protests across China.

New Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has promised not to yield in the dispute over the islands and boost defense spending to counter Beijing's growing military clout.

"The Japanese side is using military aircraft to interfere with planes on normal patrol in undisputed Chinese airspace," said Shi Qingfeng, director general of the Administration Office of the State Oceanic Administration, the agency whose ships patrol disputed waters in the South and East China Seas.

"This is highly unreasonable conduct and the Japanese side is consciously trying to escalate the situation," Shi said at a presentation for Chinese media and diplomats. "The Japanese side must assume responsibility for the consequences."

China has been increasingly flexing its military and political influence in the western Pacific, forcefully asserting territorial claims while it builds up its military forces.

Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the South China Sea.

To China's east, the island conflict with Japan has led to tense confrontations in the waters around the islands.

"China-Japan defense relations are an important and sensitive part of bilateral ties, and the Japanese side should face up to the difficulties and problems that currently exist," Yang said.

China highly vigilant over Japanese fighters flying over disputed islands | Reuters

Chinese plane flies near Senkaku Islands : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

The Air Self-Defense Force scrambled fighter jets after a Chinese government plane approached the Senkaku Islands on Monday.

The Chinese plane flew as close as about 120 kilometers north of the islands but did not intrude into Japanese airspace.

ASDF jets were also sent to the area on Saturday when a Chinese plane approached the islands, which China claims

And Japan continues to fly aircraft over its own airspace while China cowers back in terror at the magnitude of the Japanese response.

China: Military vigilant on Japan's move on Diaoyu
12-27-2012 19:35 BJT

Special Report:Diaoyu Islands: China’s Inherent Territory |

By CCTV reporter Han Bin

The Chinese military has reiterated its resolution to protect the country's maritime territory. At its regular press conference on Thursday, the Ministry of National Defense's spokesman Yang Yujun said the People’s Liberation Army is ready to provide support to fishing and law enforcement activities in the waters around the Diaoyu Islands.

For the past several months, Chinese surveillance ships have moved in and out of the waters around the Diaoyu islands. Aircrafts have also taken part. The Chinese military says that it’s the army’s duty to provide security support.

Yang Yujun, Spokesman, Ministry of National Defense, said, "We'll resolutely fulfill our missions and tasks and coordinate closely with maritime surveillance and other departments of law enforcement, and provide security support to their activities, and jointly safeguard our maritime interests and rights."

The spokesman said that the Chinese military has remained vigilant monitoring the actions of Japan's Air Self-Defense force. In a previous statement, China also said that Japan had stepped up its surveillance of regular Chinese naval and air activities, which could lead to misinterpretation. Relations between China and Japan have been strained since the Japanese government moved to purchase the Diaoyu islands in September. Countermeasures have been taken by China to deal with the dispute.

Yang Yujun, Spokesman, Ministry of National Defense, said, "What is important now is for Japan to face squarely these difficulties and take effective measures to maintain the overall interests of China-Japan relations."

Both China and Japan have expressed their sovereignty over the Diaoyu islands. The issue offers a test of wisdom and courage for the newly elected leaders of the two countries. As tensions continue to rise, many believe that more military involvement in waters around the islands could be inevitable.

Japan new foreign minister vows China patch-up

display_image.php

Japan's new Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida holds a news conference at the foreign ministry in Tokyo

TOKYO: Japan's new foreign minister said on Friday he would work to patch up ties with China, soured over a bitter territorial row that has blighted relations for months.

"I believe it is very important to have good communication between the two governments, as well as between two foreign ministers," Fumio Kishida said in an interview with journalists.

"It is primarily important that I, as foreign minister, make the effort to deepen communications between the two countries," he said.

Kishida, seen as a relative dove in the government of hawkish new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, begins the top diplomatic job as ties with China show few signs of improving following an ill-tempered territorial stand-off.

Abe won conservative support in national polls earlier this month with his forthright pronouncements on a group of East China Sea islands that Tokyo controls, vowing not to budge on Japan's claim to the Senkaku chain.

China also lays claim to the islands, which it calls the Diaoyu.

Additionally, Abe has said he would consider revising Japan's post-war pacifist constitution, alarming officials in Beijing and Seoul.

But he has quickly toned down the campaign rhetoric and has said he wants improved ties with China, Japan's biggest trading partner. He called for a solution through what he described as "patient exchanges".

"I am aware that some view the new Cabinet as right-leaning," Kishida said. "As a state, we need to do whatever we need to do to construct firm national security."

Kishida, 55, a former banker who leads a liberal faction in the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, was an unexpected pick by Abe.

However, his experience as a state minister in Abe's cabinet during his first prime ministerial incarnation, dealing with territorial disputes with Russia and in Okinawan affairs, proved a plus.

Japan and Russia have never signed a post-Second World War peace treaty because of an unresolved spat over the ownership of islands to the north of the archipelago.

In Okinawa, the presence of a large number of US military personnel is a major source of contention for the local population, but a vital strand of Tokyo's defence pact with Washington.

Japan new foreign minister vows China patch-up - Channel NewsAsia

1.Clean your BUTT in middle-east first and then come playing with us.
2.Beware of your watchdog, don't let it bite your own hands again!

1.You imply the US hasn't had military forces in Asia for decades, an ignorant assumption. The PRC is the newbie to the area not the US.

2.You should worry about your own home country alienating those around it before you worry about the US. We're doing great thanks to your home country's diplomatic missteps and arrogance.

2013 will be an interesting year.

China 'not fear troubles' regarding Diaoyu Islands: official

BEIJING, Dec. 28 (Xinhua) -- Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun said Friday that China will neither create nor fear any troubles concerning the Diaoyu Islands.

He made the remarks in response to a question concerning China-Japan relations at the eighth Lanting Forum.

Zhang said the Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islets are inherent parts of China's territory, and Chinese government and its people's determination to safeguard the country's territorial sovereignty is firm.

"We hope for a stable and peaceful surrounding environment, we will not create troubles, but we definitely not fear any trouble," Zhang said.

China believes the two sides should manage the issue through talks and consultations to avoid escalation, he said.

"We hope the Japanese side can face history and reality and make correct decisions in order to properly handle the issue," he said, adding that stable and healthy bilateral relations are in the interests of the two countries and the region.

Zhang added that China has recognized that some officials in Japan's newly established cabinet have shown willingness to boost bilateral ties, adding that China hopes Japan's new government can improve ties and properly handle differences.

Zhang said China has paid great attention to the development of Japan's domestic politics and hopes Japan will follow a path of peaceful development, which he described as the premise of Japan's constructive role in maintaining regional peace and stability.

China 'not fear troubles' regarding Diaoyu Islands: official - People's Daily Online

1. Where did you find my "implication" saying that you have ever stopped interfering others' affairs? And, China dominates THIS AREA long before your ancestor found America! Maybe one hundred year sounds long enough for a country with only two hundred years history, but it's no more than a nap for a country with a history of 5 thousand years. Now tell me whose assumption is more ignorant?

2. China is doing well to reestablish the power and reclaim some long lost interests, I'm very glad to see the change of our foreign policies. Meanwhile, it is very natural to have some complaints around while a rising power expands the influence in this area. As for the arrogance, you are self-illustrating that nobody can compare with Americans.

1.You imply the US hasn't had military forces in Asia for decades, an ignorant assumption. The PRC is the newbie to the area not the US.

2.You should worry about your own home country alienating those around it before you worry about the US. We're doing great thanks to your home country's diplomatic missteps and arrogance.

2013 will be an interesting year.

1. Where did you find my "implication" saying that you have ever stopped interfering others' affairs? And, China dominates THIS AREA long before your ancestor found America! Maybe one hundred year sounds long enough for a country with only two hundred years history, but it's no more than a nap for a country with a history of 5 thousand years. Now tell me whose assumption is more ignorant?
Your implication about waiting til we got out of the Middle-East to 'play with China' implies we do not have forces in Asia significant enough to pose a major problem to China. We do, and the US is a global power and thus capable of having significant amounts of force in more than 1 region.

Your PRC has been in existence for less than the time the US has been a major player in the region.

Your assumption is more ignorant because you are are using strawman arguments instead of reading what I said.

Much as there is a difference between Ancient Rome and modern Italy, there is a difference between the various Ancient Chinese dynasties and the PRC both structurally and culturally. Mao made sure of that.

2. China is doing well to reestablish the power and reclaim some long lost interests, I'm very glad to see the change of our foreign policies. Meanwhile, it is very natural to have some complaints around while a rising power expands the influence in this area. As for the arrogance, you are self-illustrating that nobody can compare with Americans.

Your hubris is present in your post and your aren't even aware of it. My point is illustrated.

The point is not whether you have the "significant force in Asia", it is if you have the WILL to be involved in some direct confrontations with China and if it meets your own interest while you still have other games to play with higher priority (from my perspective). What US want is just to place the bomb but not to light the fuse, and you will benefit the most from the intensive situation but not the direct confrontations, at least not now.

No matter when PRC has been founded, she still holds the heritage of Chinese civilization and the majority part of Chinese territory. It is still China, don't you think you have played long enough in other's backyards? I admit that you have the most powerful military force around the world nowadays but that doesn't lend you any authority to interfere others' affair at your own will. Maybe you could decades ago, but you must be very careful from now on since China is rising and regaining her power now.

It is funny to think Mao himself can change the entire Chinese culture, he might have done some damage for a while but it won't last for long. Just as I said, few decades gap in Chinese history is no more than a glitch in the whole system. Chinese culture is in our blood and carved in our mind, that must be different from your Rome and Italy story. And it is exactly Mao himself ensured that the social structure of PRC remains similar as the "various ancient Chinese dynasties". He is just another emperor or maybe as you westerner's way of naming, a dictator.

It is obviously that you have no idea about what I said but not I am stabbing a straw man.

Your implication about waiting til we got out of the Middle-East to 'play with China' implies we do not have forces in Asia significant enough to pose a major problem to China. We do, and the US is a global power and thus capable of having significant amounts of force in more than 1 region.

Your PRC has been in existence for less than the time the US has been a major player in the region.

Your assumption is more ignorant because you are are using strawman arguments instead of reading what I said.

Much as there is a difference between Ancient Rome and modern Italy, there is a difference between the various Ancient Chinese dynasties and the PRC both structurally and culturally. Mao made sure of that.

Your hubris is present in your post and your aren't even aware of it. My point is illustrated.

The point is not whether you have the "significant force in Asia", it is if you have the WILL to be involved in some direct confrontations with China and if it meets your own interest while you still have other games to play with higher priority (from my perspective). What US want is just to place the bomb but not to light the fuse, and you will benefit the most from the intensive situation but not the direct confrontations, at least not now.

We have articulated multiple times that we have the will to be involved in direct confrontations if China pushes us too far. What constitutes pushing us too far is military attacks on our allies. This is in writing and so we are bound lest we lose all credibility. Of course we don't want to light the fuse on Asia, no one does, no not even China. It is in our interest for a stable Asia that is part of and working with the global order rather than an unstable Asia embroiled in war. That said our treaties take precedence. We benefit from the intense situation, but only insofar that China is actively making that situation more intense through its own missteps. We would benefit far more from a cooperative China in the region, but China hasn't seen fit to cooperate, so we have this situation. We aren't forcing China to alienate everyone around it, thats all China, you can't blame us for taking advantage of your missteps when you so clearly position yourself as our adversary in the region.

No matter when PRC has been founded, she still holds the heritage of Chinese civilization and the majority part of Chinese territory. It is still China, don't you think you have played long enough in other's backyards? I admit that you have the most powerful military force around the world nowadays but that doesn't lend you any authority to interfere others' affair at your own will. Maybe you could decades ago, but you must be very careful from now on since China is rising and regaining her power now.

It is funny to think Mao himself can change the entire Chinese culture, he might have done some damage for a while but it won't last for long. Just as I said, few decades gap in Chinese history is no more than a glitch in the whole system. Chinese culture is in our blood and carved in our mind, that must be different from your Rome and Italy story. And it is exactly Mao himself ensured that the social structure of PRC remains similar as the "various ancient Chinese dynasties". He is just another emperor or maybe as you westerner's way of naming, a dictator.

It is obviously that you have no idea about what I said but not I am stabbing a straw man.

You expanded my argument about the PRC to the rest of the Chinese dynasties that came before, and as far as Im concerned that is a strawman.

The PRC is seperate from those dynasties in government, process, function, and society. The infusion of western ideas, processes, and ideals have done the most to change it.

Your 'blood and minds' argument is weak. Culture is not inherent, it is taught.

We have articulated multiple times that we have the will to be involved in direct confrontations if China pushes us too far. What constitutes pushing us too far is military attacks on our allies. This is in writing and so we are bound lest we lose all credibility. Of course we don't want to light the fuse on Asia, no one does, no not even China. It is in our interest for a stable Asia that is part of and working with the global order rather than an unstable Asia embroiled in war. That said our treaties take precedence. We benefit from the intense situation, but only insofar that China is actively making that situation more intense through its own missteps. We would benefit far more from a cooperative China in the region, but China hasn't seen fit to cooperate, so we have this situation. We aren't forcing China to alienate everyone around it, thats all China, you can't blame us for taking advantage of your missteps when you so clearly position yourself as our adversary in the region.

You expanded my argument about the PRC to the rest of the Chinese dynasties that came before, and as far as Im concerned that is a strawman.

The PRC is seperate from those dynasties in government, process, function, and society. The infusion of western ideas, processes, and ideals have done the most to change it.

We suffered an century of humulliation that no American would understand. The french and British looted, The Japanese invaded, the USA discriminated Migrant worker in the 1890s etc. We vowed never again to be not be taken advantage of, we lost 30 million to the Japanese and 20 million to Mao. We never went so low in our 4,000 year history. The West pacific is now Chinese influnced area in economics and a US influenced aea in Political/Millitary sence I doubt such an confrentation should happen.

Please notice that it is NOT "China pushes USA and your allies too far", it is exactly the opposite. Your allies pushed us into this intensive situation by nationalizing the disputable area and harassing our fishing boats at a very sensitive time spot under your acquiescence or maybe even instigation. The responsibility of the current situation should not be placed upon us, and such provocative moves initiated by japanese left us no choice but to make the corresponding response. It is Japanese who sent their aircrafts into this area but not us, who do you think is now escalating the situation? Your ill logic cannot make any stand on this point.

I am not blaming you for taking any advantages, no matter from what, that's for your own good and that's what a government supposed to do. But I don't think what Chinese government does are missteps, we're just doing what we have to from our own interest and based on our current capability, that shouldn't be put to blame either. We are not positioning ourselves as anyone's adversary, it is a natural block divided by ideology, nationality and culture. What I meant was that you and your allies should also adjust your biased viewpoint and start to accept a rising China with demand of a growing interest here in Asia and even around the world. You Americans are not born to be the only global power and you have no granted authorities from anywhere to set up the global order just according to your own will, it's time to share some of your vested interest with us. That's pretty fair from my perspective. And, even step back to your point, since you mentioned the "global order", may I ask what is the foundation of the current global order after the WWII? What we are claiming now is exactly what was written in the Cairo Declaration and Potsdam Declaration. It is not us breaking the "global order"!

Let's sum up, 1. It is you and your allies broke the order and initiated then escalated this intensive situation. 2. It is you keep blaming us from doing what we have to in protection of our own interests. 3. Actually we all know that all of these discussions are BS and power means everything.

P.S as for the culture part, please don't comment on anything you are not able to understand. I have repeated for several times, few decades or maybe even a hundred years gap in Chinese history cannot break the heritage of the long live Chinese culture. It's nothing about what you said there, doesn't make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom