What's new

Dhoni under fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Indian media slams Dhoni after fruitless T20 campaign | The News Tribe

New Delhi: The India media on Tuesday lashed out at their national cricket team and captain MS Dhoni for not qualifying for the semi-finals of the ICC Twenty20 World Cup 2012.
Former Indian captain, Kapil Dev criticised Dhoni, saying that his captaincy was not upto the level of international cricket.
“Now it’s the time that Indian team should learn from their mistakes,” Dev said.
The cricket lovers in India also criticised the strategy of MS Dhoni against South Africa and said that it never looked that Dhoni was willing to restrict South before 31 runs.
For qualifying in the semi-finals, India needed to win by 31 runs against South Africa. South Africa reached 122 for five in the 17th over in pursuit of the 153 required for victory against India, sending Pakistan into the last four on better net run rate along with Australia.
The Indian fans further said that ICC should investigate the match between South Africa and India as it looked that the African team was only willing to cross 121 runs instead of winning the match.
The fans further said that that the time had come for selectors to made changes in the Indian team inducting young players.

I actually like Dhoni. He was the only one not crying from the Indian side which showed some professionalism.

http://sports.ndtv.com/icc-world-twenty20/blogs/suresh-menon/item/197292-ignoring-media-clamour-is-dhonis-best-decision

It was good to see Mahendra Singh Dhoni say at a press conference that during the course of a tournament (and perhaps much before and a long time after), he didn’t read newspapers or watch television. In other words, he is isolated from all the criticism and hoo-haa that accompanies every Indian series, and especially World Cups.

There is something almost judicial in this manner of keeping the mind clutter-free, and the refusal to be influenced by what the daily hacks and the time-fillers on television have to say about him and his captaincy.

In the old days, cricketers were told not to read the newspaper reports and columns on matches in which they played, and that was sensible. It meant that there was little immediate heartburn when they were criticised in print, and no chance of a casual throwaway line or a silly suggestion having an impact on their game. Players had to rely on proud mothers or other family members to cut and paste stories appearing in the press for later reading.

But all that was long ago. The no-newspaper brigade was followed by the fully-aware legion which kept itself informed of every word, every line that was written about them. On tours, it was always possible to see who had criticised whom in the Indian team; Kapil Dev would suddenly begin to avoid a particular reporter or Srikkanth would spend more time with one to put his side of the story across. But there were no permanent enemies, since, like a draw or a victory for the team, a word of praise for a player was always just around the corner.

And then came the Internet. Players became so clued in, they began to write to websites suggesting better pictures of themselves or correcting a minor error in the statistics. If it wasn’t the players, it was their agents who were doing this to earn their twenty percent or whatever.

Dhoni has said often enough what he thinks of the media, and most of it has not been very complimentary. Intense competition has led to some strange stories appearing, attributed to “my sources in the team” by the reporter.

Dhoni learnt a lesson in captaincy early in his career – do exactly what you want to, and thanks to the millions, including former players, who have an opinion on everything he does, there will be enough people who support him. This is a superbly mature attitude, and served him well in the unnecessary debate over the dropping of Virender Sehwag for the match against Australia.

It was a move criticised by the likes of Sunil Gavaskar and Rahul Dravid, but supported by Sourav Ganguly. It is difficult to imagine Dhoni not being aware of this, but it shouldn’t matter, and in his case it doesn’t.

The cricket captain is the supreme arbiter of what to do, whom to pick and drop in a team, and it is best left that way. If 43 percent of the viewers of a particular television channel think it was the wrong move (and 29 percent don’t give a rodent’s posterior either way), that should be of no concern to the captain.

It will be a dark day for sport if, like some politicians, cricket captains tailor-make their decisions for television. It is not unheard of in Indian sport. The previous selection committee pushed Yuvraj Singh into big cricket prematurely on his return from illness in what was a populist move.

For rising above such considerations, and going with the team he thinks is best suited to win a match, Dhoni has to be admired. If he doesn’t watch television or read the newspapers, good for him. Frankly, he is not missing much.

Dhoni won them the World Cup for gods sakes.

Indian media always behaves like a child when it comes to cricket. jeet gaye to sabaash India,India aab cricket ka super power etc. Har gaye to yeh galat,woh galat,yeh kiyun nehi khela, woh kiyun khela etc:lol:

Indians,

Ask yourselves this?

Given a choice, what would you choose between

1) Reaching the Semi-finals

2) Whipping Pakistan ...... yet again.

I know which it would be for me.

Each and every time. :pakistan:

No doubts, we could have performed better but the world does not end here.

Pata nahi kitane media walon ke paise dubo diye dhoni ne gambling main....Ab to sab slam hi karenge bechare ho.:P

waise TI did a very patriotic job by bowing out of WC.Ab bookies ki gambling kam hogi.........:tup:

GOI should ban cricket and Bollywood in order to curb the hawala illegal transactions of underworld and terrorists............:police:

lol

i hav seen when Pakistan team loss match Pakistani media support them & always says "Tum jeeto ya haroo suno humein tum se pyar he"

i guess thts the reason even after humiliated defeat against india Pakistan defeat the most strongest team in this tournament australia with humiliation....

Indian media should act in a professional manner but again media shows wht public really want to see or the understanding level of general public.

Yes you are 100% right. Here is what most Pakistani's do not understand or they are in denial. No matter what we do, when we play against India, we can never perform well. Let me explain why. Indian players are not only talented but they know how to play under pressure. This is something Pakistani team lacks. They become very insecure and they are not confident at all whenever playing against India.

I am not saying that Indian team is more talented than Pakistani, what i am saying is that when the Pakistan team gets over it's insecurity, then they will start performing well against india or possibly defeat them. Pakistan performs really well when playing one of the hardest cricket playing nation such as Australia? Why, cuz there is not alot of presure when playing against Australia and when not under pressure, Pakistan is the best team in the whole world.

Furthermore, whenever there is a clash between India and Pakistan, and if India gets in to semi or final then the chances are that Pakistan will loose that cup or tournament. You take India out of the equation, Pakistan will win every time.

Dhoni admits the Aussie defeat cost them the qualification, but that I think was his biggest mistake when he didn't play Sehwag. I think the only mistake.

His attitude was wrong. Every team must play to its strength, not to others' weakness or especially to counter others' strength. Dhoni did the last one and played an extra bowler over Sehwag.

Sehwag drives feat into every team. Something you can't even say for Kohli.

15 overs woh khara hojaye, India 200 maar leti hai.

You know as well as I do where the real battle is always fought.

And won.

And lost.

Each and every time.

That's the point you've won each and every time and we've still managed to win cups, secure a better winning rate, defeat more teams, have the highest winning ratio.

At the end of the day its who holds the cup... wins.

Pata nahi kitane media walon ke paise dubo diye dhoni ne gambling main....Ab to sab slam hi karenge bechare ho.:P

waise TI did a very patriotic job by bowing out of WC.Ab bookies ki gambling kam hogi.........:tup:

GOI should ban cricket and Bollywood in order to curb the hawala illegal transactions of underworld and terrorists............:police:

Fiqar na karein Veena Malik dhoni ke gunah ma'af karwa de ge.....

Veena-Malik-Ramazan-Show-550x460.jpeg

Yes you are 100% right. Here is what most Pakistani's do not understand or they are in denial. No matter what we do, when we play against India, we can never perform well. Let me explain why. Indian players are not only talented but they know how to play under pressure. This is something Pakistani team lacks. They become very insecure and they are not confident at all whenever playing against India.

I am not saying that Indian team is more talented than Pakistani, what i am saying is that when the Pakistan team gets over it's insecurity, then they will start performing well against india or possibly defeat them. Pakistan performs really well when playing one of the hardest cricket playing nation such as Australia? Why, cuz there is not alot of presure when playing against Australia and when not under pressure, Pakistan is the best team in the whole world.

Furthermore, whenever there is a clash between India and Pakistan, and if India gets in to semi or final then the chances are that Pakistan will loose that cup or tournament. You take India out of the equation, Pakistan will win every time.

How each of us does against each other on the cricket field is reflective of our national psyche vis a vis one another.

If you have lost in your mind and heart in real life against the other, it follows you on the field.

Look at your team of the past and you will realise that its not a "Pakistan" thing, but its "today's" Pakistan thing.

Maybe things will change for you.

We will see.

That's the point you've won each and every time and we've still managed to win cups, secure a better winning rate, defeat more teams, have the highest winning ratio.

At the end of the day its who holds the cup... wins.

That's the western way of looking at things.

The desi way is to beat the s-hit out of the other, even if we go down eventually.

Teams that deserve semi final- Australia,srilanka,pakistan & india...west indies just won 2 out of 5 matches and are qualified...**** man!!!! Luck too plays a major role in T20

Dhoni is a really good player and a very good captain...but I think he needs to keep his personal grudges and favouritism aside and then select the team..honestly not playing sehwag against australia did make a difference..moreover this guys Rohit sharma (although i agree he is a nice player) really pissed me off in yesterday's match....looked as is he is playing for thwe first time and was not able to connect a ball properly..no will to hit a bal out of the boundary or score some fast runs...may be he forgot he was playing T20.

How each of us does against each other on the cricket field is reflective of our national psyche vis a vis one another.

If you have lost in your mind and heart in real life against the other, it follows you on the field.

Look at your team of the past and you will realise that its not a "Pakistan" thing, but its "today's" Pakistan thing.

Maybe things will change for you.

We will see.

That's the western way of looking at things.

The desi way is to beat the s-hit out of the other, even if we go down eventually.
I disagree with the psyche thing. I think for the psyche we are doing very well, we have no world class player except Ajmal India has 7.

Teams you know will win the world cup once they gather so many top players.

Pakistan won the world cup when it had Inzamam, Wasim Akram, Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Amir Sohail (and Waqar and Saeed Anwar were injured but were there too). You just knew this team was the best team of the time.

India similarly won the world cup with Tendulkar, Kohli, Dhoni, Yuvraj... World class players.

So far I think no undeserving team has ever won a world cup. Each team had totally outclassed all the others during their time.

Every team cycles through a top side.

I think despite not having a TOP team, Pakistan is doing very well on the basis of sheer hard work on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom