What's new

Devyani Khobragade gets full diplomatic immunity after transfer

If India was busy arresting maid's husband and child ....how did they get into US ???

Arrested, questioned and released. Obviously.
But it still smacks of harassment and intimidation.
Clearly, the US authorities thought the same, which is why they gave them a US visa to get them out of India as soon as possible.

what do you want to prove by typing 'child' in bold ???

To highlight the harassment. Why arrest her child back in India?

Do you have any proof that India had arrested husband and child ....

No, I don't have any proof. I saw it in one of the timelines posted yesterday, which is why I wrote "according to some reports".

Cherry picking are we??

Problems started with Richard, according to Dr Khobragade's lawsuit against her in the Delhi high court. It said that Richard wanted to work outside on her off days, but she was told that it was illegal according to her visa status, and also because she had an official passport.

You can say that it just an allegation by the diplomat.. But isnt it the same which is done by the maid also? It had not yet proved

Yes, there are allegations by both sides, which will need to be proved in court.

The point is that a judge in NY decided there was enough merit to the maid's allegations to issue an arrest warrant. That, too, against a diplomat.

Now you can either call it a conspiracy, or that the maid's claims were deemed legitimate by the DA and the judge.

What if the maid was doing all these for a US visa? May be she signed the agreement because she thought she can try for another job in US once she left the country..

Then it was imprudent of India to provide that loophole (allegedly invalid contract) in the first place, to be exploited by people.

US diplomats have faced far worse. We don't gauge our national prestige by how well our diplomats get treated overseas. Gosh Indians sure have their priorities all wrong :coffee:

I really could not be bothered by what US Diplomats or Officials have to face.
Though we can both reacall the Benghazi Episode in all its gory detail and its tragic conclusion.

But do not overlook what happens to American Citizens around the world as a consequence of Official American Arrogance and Asininity. Which has been happening for years; affecting them whether having to face cries of "Yanqui Go Home" to getting shot at or even getting beheaded in different parts of the world. Recall what happened to American Citizens in Mumbai too. It does not get any easier for the obviously American looking Citizen to travel around the world. I found that out (first-hand) when an American Family became co-travellers with mine during a S.Asian trip. They felt it safer to say that they were Canadians in most places where documents did not need to be displayed; to the extent of using my Canadian location and other details to "flesh that out".

Needless to say, that left me both contemplative and concerned at the state of affairs. All because of unabating Official American Arrogance towards the rest of the world for so many years.

What? It was only reported yesterday that her husband was arrested yesterday! Man... too much confusion.

Her Husband was questioned after his wife disappeared in usa few months back not arrested and put in jail .

They should have handled this carefully. There was no need to arrest her in public.

That's the point! This issue had been cleared with a simple letter to her, or by summon her to the authorities in charge, to clarify issues with the visa application. No arrest warrant, no police...was needed and that actually should be standard procedure in every normal democratic country and for every normal NRI too, not arresting her directly, in public and treating her like major criminals. So that alone shows the overreaction here, but since she is a diplomat, the authorities should have contacted the Indian embassy first and not acted on their own accord like they did.
The news reports also said, that the salary was stated in the visa application to the US embassy in India. If true, they knew that the salary would be lower than usual in the US, before they provided the visa. So it needs to be seen if there was a fraud at all, or if that is an internal issue between the US authorities.

Last edited:
Arrested, questioned and released. Obviously.
But it still smacks of harassment and intimidation.
Clearly, the US authorities thought the same, which is why they gave them a US visa to get them out of India as soon as possible.

To highlight the harassment. Why arrest her child back in India?

No, I don't have any proof. I saw it in one of the timelines posted yesterday, which is why I wrote "according to some reports".

Yes, there are allegations by both sides, which will need to be proved in court.

The point is that a judge in NY decided there was enough merit to the maid's allegations to issue an arrest warrant. That, too, against a diplomat.

Now you can either call it a conspiracy, or that the maid's claims were deemed legitimate by the DA and the judge.

Then it was imprudent of India to provide that loophole (allegedly invalid contract) in the first place, to be exploited by people.

all you have said ...is based on some post you read somewhere ....

If Indian agencies are evil enough to harasse family ....they wouldn't have let them fly out of country in first place ...

You not only believed what you read immediately but you felt it to be too good so that you were prompted to highlight "and Child" in bold ....You must be feeling at peace with that part ...

shows your inherent bias against India ....no matter how much you may try to hide it with trickery of words ....you action speaks volumes ...

Only a person with deep hatred will do that ....to lunge at any tit-bits one can lay one's hand upon to paint a dreary grim picture ...

I must say you have taken lot of efforts to find out something to malign India ....

unfortunately all you have said and exhorted is based on unsubstantiated post !!!

So keep it yourself till you have some solid evidence to back with ....

Her Husband was questioned after his wife disappeared in usa few months back not arrested and put in jail .

If the court has issued warrant against wife , won't police question the husband about her whereabouts ???

as if the husband was subjected to torture of Guantanamo bay .....

We have to believe whatever Saint America has to say ....

sorry I should have said God America .....

Here is the source.

Diplomat's arrest: Trouble was brewing since June - Rediff.com India News

Meanwhile, her husband and child in India were taken into custody, according to the witness. A scared Richard spoke with them, and refused to leave the attorney's office premises.

Use your own brain ( if you have any ) ...India has Juvenile Criminal system ....
Child can't be arrested or taken into custody ...
This report is epic example of petty journalism ....

You can make out yourself how absurd it is ...
look at the deliberate ambiguity created ....
statement 1 , according to wintness , statement 2 .

So that means is the reporter talking about witness who witnessed arrest of husband and child ....or he is talking about witness who witnessed scared Richard ....

anyway ...you are harping on this singular post and citing it as proof ....

do you agree with 'whole' article ....or you agree with only this particular paragraph ...???

So that means is the reporter talking about witness who witnessed arrest of husband and child ....or he is talking about witness who witnessed scared Richard ....

The witness is talking about the husband and child.
There's no ambiguity here: note where the comma is placed.

do you agree with 'whole' article ....or you agree with only this particular paragraph ...???

As I wrote already, I agree the diplomatic protocol was violated. I am commenting on who's the sympathetic figure in all this.

They can have any labor contracts in India. But when both come to US, they have another party who is in the business - US government and its labor laws. That involves visa processing. The question here is not just violation of labor laws but also the filing of false documents for visa which is a felony and constitutes 10 years in prison. Why aren't you getting that? And if someone does not have diplomatic immunity(as clearly mentioned by the news of this thread), then she is a common person and she is not treated differently than others. As for flight risk, what if she runs and sits in the Indian consulate for months?

The diplomatic row wouldn't have happened if Indian Government had stepped in back in Sept when it was brought to its notice by the U.S Dept. of State.

PS - You are a senior member here and I respect your posts. Not sure why you want to get to the levels of some junior members here and start calling stuff.
one question..they employ indians in their schools.so since an american consulate is technically american soil if they are not complying the minimum wage norm set by their own country do u think we must arrest their diplomats??

But my question is why these diplomats should be provided "extra" privileges outside of the laws - goes for both US and Indian diplomats. I had raised this question in one of the previous posts as well.

Because that is the norm being followed, as an added courtesy you will.

if you want to go into details there is logic behind this as well.

For example Indian diplomats obviously cannot pay more than their own salaries, and this is overlooked. Same goes with providing extra security to US embassy at delhi, its not required but a courtesy extended, or with allowing gay partners (not covered under diplomatic immunity) against Indian law.

Its a privilege obviously, but one that is agreed upon given the differences in laws and home country factors.

i think government reply must be good, see whether someone attack on us embacy at delhi or not?

So, a person who has consular immunity, like she had, can be:

Strip searched.
Handcuffed in full public view.
Cavity searched.
Lodged in jail without a trial.
Is put in a cell with drug addicts, murderers and rapists.

Great! Now I shudder to think what an ordinary soul who is not an American, could be put through in the US of A. And they talk of human rights violations in other countries! Jeeeez!

US is not like India........there law is equal to everybody . Don't forget they inquired Clinton in Monika rape case , he undergone many tests including DNA test. If you stay in other countries should obey their laws simple.

Back
Top Bottom