What's new

Devyani Khobragade case: India tightens screws, withdraws privileges for US consular officials

All this hoopla is for Indian domestic consumption in the run up to the elections to whip up national fervor. It will all be sorted out "amicably" soon thereafter. :D

The problem is the IFS officers community especially the younger generation officers is putting pressure on the Government. And the stupid media is another reason. But if you see the comments in TOI and other media sites, there are not many sympathizers for the consular official unlike the overwhelming support here in PDF. Especially the release of Adarsh scam report has reduced the sympathy for Devyani. There will be reciprocal measures to soothe the diplomatic community in India just like what is going on now. Also once another hot topic pops up, everyone is going to forget this and move on and it will be business as usual as both countries can't afford a deadlock.

The problem is the IFS officers community especially the younger generation officers is putting pressure on the Government. And the stupid media is another reason. But if you see the comments in TOI and other media sites, there are not many sympathizers for the consular official unlike the overwhelming support here in PDF. Especially the release of Adarsh scam report has reduced the sympathy for Devyani. There will be reciprocal measures to soothe the diplomatic community in India just like what is going on now. Also once another hot topic pops up, everyone is going to forget this and move on and it will be business as usual as both countries can't afford a deadlock.

We dont need to have sympathy to the person of Devayani Khobragade, to be upset about the violation of diplomatic norms. We are upset because of how they treated one of our representaatives, not out of personal like or dislike for DK. If she benefitted illegally by the adarsh scam, by all means put her in jail in India. But as long as she is on a diplomatic mission, the US has no right to arrest her for not paying her maid more than the president of india's salary.

We dont need to have sympathy to the person of Devayani Khobragade, to be upset about the violation of diplomatic norms. We are upset because of how they treated one of our representaatives, not out of personal like or dislike for DK. If she benefitted illegally by the adarsh scam, by all means put her in jail in India. But as long as she is on a diplomatic mission, the US has no right to arrest her for not paying her maid more than the president of india's salary.

She is not on a diplomatic mission but a consular officer whose work is to issue visas. More or less a glorified clerk working in a consulate and not in embassy. She does not represent a country. If so, she would have been accorded full immunity like officers in a mission or an embassy would be given just like the other guilty one in 2010 case - Neena Malhotra who was not touched by US and allowed to go out of the country except for being sued in civil court in absentia.

Not sure why you guys want to allow your emotions run high when there is a pattern of abuse by these IFS officers. Babus and Netas screw up in India and these babus are screwing up elsewhere and you guys are indirectly condoning their acts for their personal benefits.

She is not on a diplomatic mission but a consular officer whose work is to issue visas. More or less a glorified clerk working in a consulate and not in embassy. She does not represent a country. If so, she would have been accorded full immunity like officers in a mission or an embassy would be given just like the other guilty one in 2010 case - Neena Malhotra who was not touched by US and allowed to go out of the country except for being sued in civil court in absentia.

Not sure why you guys want to allow your emotions run high when there is a pattern of abuse by these IFS officers. Babus and Netas screw up in India and these babus are screwing up elsewhere and you guys are indirectly condoning their acts for their personal benefits.

Consular officers are Indian citizens posted in USA, The treatment of Diplomatic staff in various countries is not a standard and varies based on the bilateral relationship.

I did not make a single emotionally charged statement, so don't ascribe such things to me.

She was a consular officer, and had partial immunity, and there are norms to be followed in arresting consular officers as well. None of which were followed.

And no, she wasn't a glorified clerk. She was the deputy consular general in new york, which means she was second in charge at the NY consulate. Please stop spreading lies like this, that she was a clerk. Far from it.

Your generalized rant at babus and netas cannot be an excuse to condone the violation of protocol by the US.

Consular officers are Indian citizens posted in USA, The treatment of Diplomatic staff in various countries is not a standard and varies based on the bilateral relationship.

Indian citizens or not - they have to abide by the local laws and they have to set an example for other Indian citizens but have they done that?

Also why not ask GOI what were they doing even after the Indian embassy was informed by US DOS in September of this issue cooking and the investigation done by the US DOJ? The GOI could have prevented this by yanking Devyani out of the country at that point. But they slept. And once US DOJ acted independent of US DOS, there is nothing DOS can do. They can't influence deviating from procedures especially U.S Marshals' one which has caused outrage here.

But why do you think that on a bilateral basis they are entitled to a different treatment when there is a pattern seen. When there was a similar case of abuse in 2010 of a 17 year old girl whose passport was taken away and was not paid even the pittance agreed upon? i.e $100. What was the action taken by GOI against that diplomat, Neena Malhotra who was guilty? Nothing. She is sitting there in India playing her games in spoiling the bilateral relationship until she was transferred internally.

When Dr. Kalam was searched, there was an outrage but what has GOI done since then to alter the procedures? He will be frisked once again if he travels to US because the officials are tied by procedures and they can't skip it without risking their jobs.

What I am saying is set your emotions aside and think.

Now all Indian diplomats in US and probably all in western countries will treat their domestic maids and workers much better.

I'm not arguing in favour of US action. US was wrong in arresting Devyani.
My gripe is with the practice of taking domestic help to foreign countries on wrong pretences. If the salary of the Indian diplomat is low wrt the country they are posted in, then they must not get a maid/domestic help.
If the domestic help is such a requirement, it should be arranged by the GoI. They can enjoy those services in India like the IAS and IPS officers do.
But then again, we are unnecessarily according them upper class treatment when it is not needed. They should hire all the help they want out of their salary and the tax payer should not be expected to bear the burden. (I do understand in Devyani's case, she was paying the domestic help out of her pocket)

I understood from what G Parthasarathy said on a news debate is that, this is a common and widely accepted practice among developing and under-developed countries. Developed country's diplomats hire locals in other countries as the salaries are less and highly affordable for them, while diplomats of developing and under-developed countries when posted in developed countries hire people from their native country at lesser salaries as local hires are not affordable for them. Going forward all maid/nannys/other personal staffs will be hired by the consulate itself on contractual basis and their salaries will be deducted from the hiring staff's salary, US minimum wages law won't apply to consulate staffs since consulates are like foreign territories. The decorum of maintaining diplomatic relations were breached here, if this was such an issue for them then they could have asked her to leave the country. 46 Russian consulate staffs in US lied in their Visa applications to avail some medical benefits in US, US did nothing, absolutely nothing.

I did not make a single emotionally charged statement, so don't ascribe such things to me.

She was a consular officer, and had partial immunity, and there are norms to be followed in arresting consular officers as well. None of which were followed.

And no, she wasn't a glorified clerk. She was the deputy consular general in new york, which means she was second in charge at the NY consulate. Please stop spreading lies like this, that she was a clerk. Far from it.

Your generalized rant at babus and netas cannot be an excuse to condone the violation of protocol by the US.

Point to me the violation of protocol by the US. And look up the 1963 Vienna convention - arrests can be made in serious crimes. In this case, a felony charge which can get 10 years is a serious crime if you agree or not. The draft of what constitutes serious crimes of 1963 Vienna convention says any crime above 5 years or more though it did not pass through.

And I am not spreading lies - I am point out the fact she is not here to manage relationships with US. She is here to do paper work i.e visa issuance. That is why she is working in NY consulate and not in Indian Embassy out of DC.

And I am not ranting. It is a naked fact that Indians are pissed off at the babus and netas in India but still want to condone their acts elsewhere indirectly.

And pay them more than what they themselves earn?

Or stop bringing in maids and do your own household chore just like others do here who themselves earn multiple times than these officers.

And pay them more than what they themselves earn?

It was the domestic worker who filed the complaint of abuse, do you think salary was the only issue? (rhetorical)

Now all Indian diplomats in US and probably all in western countries will treat their domestic maids and workers much better.

What the nanny was getting (all expenses paid+insurance+travel fare+Indian Rs.30,000) is actually unbelievably good for any Indian nanny or maid, that's in rupee terms is similar to the salaries of a mid-level officer!! I don't how much a Pakistani maid/nanny earns.

Indian citizens or not - they have to abide by the local laws and they have to set an example for other Indian citizens but have they done that?

GOI will look into this matter, Not USA.

Also why not ask GOI what were they doing even after the Indian embassy was informed by US DOS in September of this issue cooking and the investigation done by the US DOJ? The GOI could have prevented this by yanking Devyani out of the country at that point. But they slept. And once US DOJ acted independent of US DOS, there is nothing DOS can do. They can't influence deviating from procedures especially U.S Marshals' one which has caused outrage here.
But why do you think that on a bilateral basis they are entitled to a different treatment when there is a pattern seen. When there was a similar case of abuse in 2010 of a 17 year old girl whose passport was taken away and was not paid even the pittance agreed upon? i.e $100. What was the action taken by GOI against that diplomat, Neena Malhotra who was guilty? Nothing. She is sitting there in India playing her games in spoiling the bilateral relationship until she was transferred internally.

When Dr. Kalam was searched, there was an outrage but what has GOI done since then to alter the procedures? He will be frisked once again if he travels to US because the officials are tied by procedures and they can't skip it without risking their jobs.

What I am saying is set your emotions aside and think.

This seems to be GOI's fault, But again handcuffing in public and humiliating Indian IFS officer is condemn able. For long USA is treating Indian Diplomats badly , GOI is signalling it won't tolerate such behavior from USA.

It is not that the USA justice system and laws are ultimate so that they can do what ever they want with our diplomats. US Diplomats are also violating laws in India. It is more of power projection and strategic importance , might is right kind of situation. Crime and all comes later and India will do what has to be done in this domestic violence case.

All this hoopla is for Indian domestic consumption in the run up to the elections to whip up national fervor. It will all be sorted out "amicably" soon thereafter. :D

Your country cannot even think of it in any situation...Did you remember Raymond Allen Davis...???

Back
Top Bottom