What's new

DARPA eyes mind-controlling helmets for soldiers

Somewhere Kurt Russel is filing copyright infringement lawsuit regarding his movie "Universal Soldier".

@ gambit

If you read my posts again; you will find that DARPA was not on my radar, this particular project/experiment is.
Undoubtedly DARPA has worked on various kinds of projects; some outstanding successes, some failures and some purely conceptual ideas meant to remain on paper. Personally, I am acquainted with a few of them- notably some that deal with robotic kinematics, software enabled control and Air Traffic Management Systems; but never mind that.

"If you want to solve a problem relating to Parkinson's or Alzheimer's, you do not begin with patients with those problems. You begin with healthy humans to study how healthy brains interact with these mechanical and electrical devices. So what better subjects than with young males in the peak of their adulthood? Starting off with healthy cells, perfect engines, ideal environments, clean materials...etc...etc...Is basic research methodology. Every time I see one of these criticisms, I know right off the bat that this is not about humanitarian concerns the crocodile tears shed for but about taking gratuitous jabs at the US. "

All that seems fine to read, but as of now the folks at "John Hopkins University" have been working on Dementia related research for quite a long time now and have turned out great work. AFAIK, they did not start working on creating a 'better soldier' to get where they have.

I will not attempt to say that the "Manhattan Project" only turned out a 'Little Boy' and a 'Fat Man'. The project contributed to enhancing skills and technology in metallurgy, metal fabrication and working, instrumentation and what else have you. But were those the primary objectives ?

Sure, DARPA has made great artificial limbs (even Artificial Intelligence technology), but how far as it been distributed/percolated down ?
In contrast, I can tell you (and show you) an artificial (prosthetic) limb/leg that is designed and made in another part of the world for less than US$ 40. Which one will be easier and more affordable to use among the limbless mine victims of Afghanistan or the 'killing fields' of Cambodia or Vietnam ?

Lastly, I have no cause to knock any American efforts or take 'gratuitous jabs' at the US.
At least because the "green-backs" that I earn/ed happen to have been printed in the US of A.

@ gambit

If you read my posts again; you will find that DARPA was not on my radar, this particular project/experiment is.
Undoubtedly DARPA has worked on various kinds of projects; some outstanding successes, some failures and some purely conceptual ideas meant to remain on paper. Personally, I am acquainted with a few of them- notably some that deal with robotic kinematics, software enabled control and Air Traffic Management Systems; but never mind that.

"If you want to solve a problem relating to Parkinson's or Alzheimer's, you do not begin with patients with those problems. You begin with healthy humans to study how healthy brains interact with these mechanical and electrical devices. So what better subjects than with young males in the peak of their adulthood? Starting off with healthy cells, perfect engines, ideal environments, clean materials...etc...etc...Is basic research methodology. Every time I see one of these criticisms, I know right off the bat that this is not about humanitarian concerns the crocodile tears shed for but about taking gratuitous jabs at the US. "

All that seems fine to read, but as of now the folks at "John Hopkins University" have been working on Dementia related research for quite a long time now and have turned out great work. AFAIK, they did not start working on creating a 'better soldier' to get where they have.

I will not attempt to say that the "Manhattan Project" only turned out a 'Little Boy' and a 'Fat Man'. The project contributed to enhancing skills and technology in metallurgy, metal fabrication and working, instrumentation and what else have you. But were those the primary objectives ?

Sure, DARPA has made great artificial limbs (even Artificial Intelligence technology), but how far as it been distributed/percolated down ?
In contrast, I can tell you (and show you) an artificial (prosthetic) limb/leg that is designed and made in another part of the world for less than US$ 40. Which one will be easier and more affordable to use among the limbless mine victims of Afghanistan or the 'killing fields' of Cambodia or Vietnam ?

Lastly, I have no cause to knock any American efforts or take 'gratuitous jabs' at the US.
At least because the "green-backs" that I earn/ed happen to have been printed in the US of A.
You are still barking up the wrong tree. The organization's name is Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) with emphasis mine, so of course the primary goal for any project will have military related issues. If there are any civilian benefits it will have to be the burden of the private sector to exploit those benefits. DARPA cannot, and should not, intrude in that area. So please do not tell me that you are not taking gratuitous jabs at US when the word 'defense' and its implications are obvious as to its mission.

DARPA is always on the lookout for the newest, zaniest gadgets but this time, we think it's gone too far. According to the Department of Defense's recent blog post, the military is interested in developing remote control techniques using ultrasound... for soldiers. Arizona State University neuroscientist William Tyler has been working on the project for several years, and now, DARPA is getting involved as well. Tyler and his team have developed a transcranial pulsed ultrasound capable of stimulating brain circuits from outside of the brain, and it can target deeper parts of the brain than past devices. The prototypes are small enough to be placed inside of a helmet, and the plan is to improve its spatial resolution with DARPA's new infusion of funding. We know they're probably looking to do cool stuff like make soldiers think they're nice and cool when they're actually frying in the sun, but we can't help but get the creeps from this one.

DARPA seeks out remote controls for soldiers' minds -- Engadget

Van damme would be proud..

affiche_universal_soldier_1991_1.jpg

They've been at it for decades, countless fails and countless number of people dead or just disabled. Controlling free will will have devastating effects.

Why?? Are the Cutting edge technologies Patented By the US, That not country Must attempt...

US Department of Defence too is developing transcranial-pulsed ultrasound which would directly stimulate brain circuits from outside the brain...

Since long Pakistan have not made any more new inventions in the field of air force army navy specially in missile technology after Musharraf government every thing stooped thirsty to hear about some new bombastic inventions as once the speed was rapid why is it like that while India going on every month with his flop farted weapons beyond extra support of Russia USA etc etc

Since long Pakistan have not made any more new inventions in the field of air force army navy specially in missile technology after Musharraf government every thing stooped thirsty to hear about some new bombastic inventions as once the speed was rapid why is it like that while India going on every month with his flop farted weapons beyond extra support of Russia USA etc etc

Please Change the translator You use....

Back
Top Bottom