What's new

Christians face Arrest, Persecution in Iran

Federer

BANNED
Reaction score
More than 300 Christians have been arrested since mid-2010 in Iran where churches operate in a climate of fear and Muslims who convert to Christianity face persecution, United Nations human rights investigators said on Thursday.

They welcomed the release earlier this month of Yousof Nadarkhani, a Christian pastor who spent three years in prison before his death sentence for apostasy and evangelism was commuted, but voiced deep concerns for those still detained.

In a joint statement, the independent investigators called on authorities in the Islamic Republic to "ease the current climate of fear in which many churches operate, especially Protestant evangelical houses of worship".

Ahmed Shaheed, UN special rapporteur on human rights in Iran, estimated that based on his own interviews and reports from activist groups, "over 300 Christians have been arbitrarily arrested and detained throughout the country since June 2010".

They included at least 41 people detained from one month to more than a year, sometimes without official charges, said Shaheed, a former foreign minister of the Maldives, who has not been allowed into Iran despite repeated requests.

"Scores of other Christians appear to remain in detention for freely practicing their religion," he said, noting the Iranian constitution and a landmark international treaty ratified by Iran protect the right to practice that faith.

"Churches continue to report undue pressure to report membership, in what appears to be an effort to pressure and sometimes even detain converts," he said. Nadarkhani, born to Muslim parents, converted to Christianity at age 19 and joined a Protestant church in the northern city of Rasht.

Sentenced
He was arrested in Oct. 2009 on charges of apostasy and found guilty. He was sentenced to death on charges of apostasy and evangelism in September2010 following a trial in which Shaheed said guarantees of due process were not upheld.

This month, judicial authorities reduced his charge to "evangelising Muslims" and his sentence to three years, which he had already served, Shaheed said.

In the UN expert's view, the charges did not qualify as offences under Iran's penal code.

"Questions remain as to why he spent three years in prison apparently for practicing his religion, a right guaranteed in Iran's own constitution and in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights," Shaheed said. On Monday, judiciary spokesperson Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei, quoted by the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA), said of Nadarkhani:

"Definitely his release was not the result of pressure by foreign media ... At the moment he is free and I don't have further information."

Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast, quoted by the semi-official Fars news agency, said on Tuesday:

"A person's arrest ... is a judiciary matter. If this person has been released, it means that judicial investigations have allowed him to be released." Heiner Bielefeldt, UN special rapporteur on freedom of religion, said Christians' right to freedom of religion was protected under Iranian law and should be granted in practice.

"The right to conversion in this context is an inseparable part of freedom of religion or belief," he said. He called for the protection of other religious minorities such as the Baha'is, Yarsanis, Dervishes and other religions or faiths not recognised by Iran's constitution.

Christians face arrest, persecution in Iran, UN experts say - World - DNA

He was arrested in Oct. 2009 on charges of apostasy and found guilty. He was sentenced to death on charges of apostasy and evangelism in September2010 following a trial in which Shaheed said guarantees of due process were not upheld.

Muslims converting to another religion get a death sentence according to Sharia.

Dafuq? I think Armenians in Iran are living even better than Muslims!
Please guys,don't post anything about Iran on any random site in here,we can also find too many negative news about India,but why post it?

When I posted stuff on persecution of Christians in India, the Indian bloggers screamed bloody murder. They were calling for the thread to be closed down and saying that that was a banned subject. Yet they're given a free hand to sling mud at other countries and religions. When I brought up Graham Staines, an Australian missionary who, along with his two sons, was burned to death by Hindu radicals in the 90s over his conversion work, many Indians responded by saying that he was a dangerous man, that he was violently forcing poor, low-caste Hindus to change religion (how did he do that, they never explain; but they always justify crimes against missionaries). By the way, Christians in India fare far worse than those in Iran (or in most other Muslim countries), being subjected to pogroms; those who convert from Hinduism to Christianity are sometimes made to shift back to Hinduism (as happened to those Staines converted in India).

This is a Pew Research graph on religious freedom on both the government and social the social levels. The higher the country's position in the vertical graph, the more hostile relations between religious groups are. As anyone can see, India fares worse in this measure than Iran.

restrictions03.gif

^^ Very simple to explain. Indian media is much more open,sympthatetic to the plight of the minorities and report any action against them than press in Islamic countries.

More than 300 Christians have been arrested since mid-2010 in Iran where churches operate in a climate of fear and Muslims who convert to Christianity face persecution, United Nations human rights investigators said on Thursday.

Churches in Iran do not operate in a climate of fear....in fact there are alot of cooperation between the Christian churches and state. With that said there are certain very few evangelical groups from the West who promote/push conversion within Iranian Muslims and those groups are wanted by the government.

I can say that as far as Armenian churches are concerned the Orthodox Church does not convert anyone (even other Christians) to Armenian orthodox....however we also do have the Armenian apostolic church who follow the same rules however they will not turn down a Iranian who comes to the church knocking on the door and wants to convert to Christianity. Most of these Iranians have already planned to leave Iran.

I have a friend who was an Armenian apostolic priest who had helped few of these people and he says most of them are not Pars but Iranian minorities....I know of few Iranian Turks who have converted.

Churches in Iran do not operate in a climate of fear....in fact there are alot of cooperation between the Christian churches and state. With that said there are certain very few evangelical groups from the West who promote/push conversion within Iranian Muslims and those groups are wanted by the government.

I can say that as far as Armenian churches are concerned the Orthodox Church does not convert anyone (even other Christians) to Armenian orthodox....however we also do have the Armenian apostolic church who follow the same rules however they will not turn down a Iranian who comes to the church knocking on the door and wants to convert to Christianity. Most of these Iranians have already planned to leave Iran.

I have a friend who was an Armenian apostolic priest who had helped few of these people and he says most of them are not Pars but Iranian minorities....I know of few Iranian Turks who have converted.

That's not true, even the few officially recognized churches have been targeted by the Iranian Government. One such church in Tehran's Janat Abad district was recently ordered closed after officials became alarmed at how many Farsi speaking people were starting to show up at church.

Iran has the highest rate of Muslims converting to Christianity. And it isn't because of large scale evangelism but people becoming fed up with the Mullahs and their hardline theology and becoming disillusioned with Islam as a result. The message of the cross and Christianity's concept of having a personal relationship with God gives them hope.

It is a known fact that if you are a born Christian and want to live in Middle East then there is no better place to live than Iran compared to all the other countries including Israel.

unlike some religions you are not born Christian. Though many have taken it to be so. To be Christian is to follow with your whole heart what Jesus taught and to have faith in who he was (the Messiah) and why he came (to redeem man back to God). Jesus himself said that it was by grace through faith that you are saved. Going to church, doing good things, will not get you into heaven. otherwise man could say it was by his own works that he made it.

There are many who go to church on Sunday then go out and do evil on Monday. These people are deluding themselves if they think those things are hidden from Gods eyes.

I know and work with Christians currently in Iran who are harassed, threatened, and at times have been imprisoned for their beliefs.

That's not true, even the few officially recognized churches have been targeted by the Iranian Government. One such church in Tehran's Janat Abad district was recently ordered closed after officials became alarmed at how many Farsi speaking people were starting to show up at church.

Iran has the highest rate of Muslims converting to Christianity. And it isn't because of large scale evangelism but people becoming fed up with the Mullahs and their hardline theology and becoming disillusioned with Islam as a result. The message of the cross and Christianity's concept of having a personal relationship with God gives them hope.

Sir,I'm an Iranian and I'm saying what you just wrote is absolute nonsense.One thing I'm sure is that Christians in Iran are the most respected minority.

One such church in Tehran's Janat Abad district was recently ordered closed after officials became alarmed at how many Farsi speaking people were starting to show up at church
What's that supposed to mean???You think Christians in Iran are speaking Alien language that state fears them to speak Farsi?
We are non interested in every biased non sense published in U.S media about Iran,it would be great if U.S media,sometimes,just sometimes wrote about human rights situations in it's friend countries,like Saudi Arabia,Qatar,UAE,Bahrain.But unfortunately,as long as they serve U.S interests,it's only Iran who is among the 'bad' guys.

well i used to lived in narmak district of Tehran where mostly armenian people live there.they are all allowed to worship.they have their own school(and they can study in muslim schools too),their own stadium and pools and even they have their own bazar.and i remember when i was 5 or 6 years old my family and i went to their church and no one asked us what is your religion.

Sir,I'm an Iranian and I'm saying what you just wrote is absolute nonsense.One thing I'm sure is that Christians in Iran are the most respected minority.

What's that supposed to mean???You think Christians in Iran are speaking Alien language that state fears them to speak Farsi?
We are non interested in every biased non sense published in U.S media about Iran,it would be great if U.S media,sometimes,just sometimes wrote about human rights situations in it's friend countries,like Saudi Arabia,Qatar,UAE,Bahrain.But unfortunately,as long as they serve U.S interests,it's only Iran who is among the 'bad' guys.

http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/iran/article_1406358.html/

ISTANBUL, February 17 (CDN) — Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence has ordered the last two officially registered churches holding Friday Farsi-language services in Tehran to discontinue them.

Emmanuel Protestant Church and St. Peter’s Evangelical Church were the last two official churches offering Farsi-language services on Fridays in Tehran, according to Middle East Concern (MEC). Officials issued the order on Feb. 10

Authorities had ordered the Central Church of Tehran to close its Friday Farsi services in December 2009. The Central Church, an Assemblies of God (AOG) congregation, had conducted multiple services on Fridays.

Friday services in Tehran attracted the city’s converts to Christianity as well as Muslims interested in Christianity, as Friday is most Iranians’ day off during the week. Authorities told the churches they can hold the services on Sunday, a working day when most Iranians are not able to attend.

“This decision means that there are now no Farsi-language services on Fridays in any officially registered church in Tehran,” an MEC report issued this week stated.

Emmanuel and St. Peter’s are Presbyterian churches, and, along with the Central Church, are among Tehran’s few registered churches. They exist mainly to serve the Armenian and Assyrian communities. The three churches’ Armenian- and Assyrian- language services are typically held on Sundays.

Because these churches belong to minority groups, government officials cannot stop them from operating but are doing what they can to limit them and the spread of Christianity to Farsi speakers, an Iranian Christian who requested anonymity told Compass.

“Authorities want church operations to stop, but because these churches are established by Armenians and Assyrians and their leaders are Armenian and Assyrian, they can’t stop them,” the source said, “but they can stop the Farsi-speaking services.”

The source said that the newest restrictions have cut the two churches’ attendance by half.

The MEC report stated that “the order to stop Farsi services is consistent with the authorities’ policy of restricting Christian activities to these traditional communities,” indicating that Tehran is determined to eradicate access to Christian worship for the country’s growing number of Christian converts.

Authorities have prohibited musical worship and Bible distribution at the Central Church of Tehran, the largest and most visible AOG church in the country. Last December officials enforced a policy under which only invited guests could attend a Christmas service at the church.

The Iranian Christian said authorities recently have pressured leaders of Emmanuel and St. Peter’s churches to turn over to officials the national identity numbers of Christians. As a result, many Christians from these churches, as well as the Central Church of Tehran, have lost their jobs.

“We have some people who were fired from their jobs,” the Christian said. “The authorities pushed the bosses to fire their Christian employees.”

The source explained that this is a new tactic by the government to discourage Iranians from becoming Christians and to deter Christians from being involved in church.

“If I have too many difficulties in my life, I won’t have time to be involved in church, and people will see how difficult it is to be a Christian,” the source said. “This is not a good face for the Christians. The others see and say, ‘Oh, they became Christians and God stopped His blessing to them.’”

Most Iranian Christian converts attend underground house churches that belong to various networks. For their own protection, these Christians often do not know about other house church networks.

Authorities often detain, question and apply pressure on converts from Islam, viewing them as elements of Western propaganda set against the Iranian regime; as a result, the converts are forced to worship in secret.

This week news surfaced of the arrest in Tehran of an AOG leader, Masis Moussian of the Narmak AOG church. Mohabat News reported that his arrest was a result of “waves of anti-Christian pressures and distribution of unsubstantiated reports by regime-supported media regarding the AOG churches of Iran.” According to these reports, members of the AOG church in Tehran are “extreme Christians” trying to recruit new members and particularly youth across the country.

Moussian is held at the Rajaei-Shahr prison and is not allowed visitors. His family has not been able to obtain information on his condition in prison.

On Feb. 8 authorities also arrested about 10 Christians who had gathered for worship at a house in the southern city of Shiraz. A new report by Mohabat News revealed that authorities mistreated the Christians in attendance and searched the house, confiscating Bibles. The Christians still remain in an unknown location.

The new report identified two women, three men and a teenager by their first names. Another was identified as Mojtaba Hosseini. Authorities had also arrested Hosseini in 2008, along with eight other Christian converts, on charges of being Christians, according to Mohabat.

Among those arrested last week was a 17-year-old boy named Nima, along with his mother, Fariba, and father, Homayoun. Another woman was identified as Sharifeh, and two men were identified as Kourosh and Masoud. Authorities searched the homes of those arrested and seized CDs, Bibles, Christian materials, computers, fax machines and satellite receivers, according to Mohabat.

Iran applies sharia (Islamic law), which dictates that converts from Islam to other religions are “apostates” and thus punishable by death. Although judges rarely sentence Christians to death for leaving Islam, one Christian, Yousef (also spelled Youcef) Nadarkhani, is appealing such a decision in the northeastern city of Rasht.

Nadarkhani has been in prison since October 2009. A Rasht court found him guilty of leaving Islam and handed him the death sentence in September 2010. Remaining in prison also are Farshid Fathi in Tehran; Farhad Sabokroh, Naser Zamen-Defzuli, Davoud Alijani and Noorollah Qabitizade in Ahwaz; and Fariborz Arazm and Behnam Irani in Karaj.

There are an estimated 350,000 Christian converts from Islam in Iran.

“I believe 100 percent the whole movement in Iran is in God’s hand,” the source said. “This pushing [of the government] can stop the church buildings, but they cannot stop the Kingdom of God.”

unlike some religions you are not born Christian.

Easy for you to say because you weren't born an Armenian.

Though many have taken it to be so. To be Christian is to follow with your whole heart what Jesus taught and to have faith in who he was (the Messiah) and why he came (to redeem man back to God). Jesus himself said that it was by grace through faith that you are saved. Going to church, doing good things, will not get you into heaven. otherwise man could say it was by his own works that he made it.

yea yea whatever....I am not what many would consider a good Christian......hey its between me and God and I don't trust these so called religious leaders and speechefyers.

Did you know Jesus spoke in Armenian as well? true, lol

There are many who go to church on Sunday then go out and do evil on Monday. These people are deluding themselves if they think those things are hidden from Gods eyes.

I think this dishonor exists in all religions.

I know and work with Christians currently in Iran who are harassed, threatened, and at times have been imprisoned for their beliefs.

The current Islamic government of Iran does not recognize conversion of a born Muslim to any other religion....the organizations that deliberately target Iranians for conversion inside Iran are not operating legally and are subject to state laws.
With that said I think as a Muslim who wants to convert it would still be better to live in Iran then othr Muslim countries.

Back
Top Bottom