What's new

Chinese naval J-11s spotted in the open

Guys, saw this picture today, any idea whats with this picture ?

The image link says J-11bs two seater. Thought you should know since you're the one who linked the picture.

Picture is not clear though

The image link says J-11bs two seater. Thought you should know since you're the one who linked the picture.

Picture is not clear though

Yes, i know whats the link indicate, but i doubt they will able to get a picture like this on the net, thats why i requested some opinion from you guys, not bad a picture i will say if for a real one though.

Guys, saw this picture today, any idea whats with this picture ?

j-11bs-two-seater.jpg

it's J-11 production line ,so far only two clear 11BS pics have been revealed

j11bs.jpg

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 27-May-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

China tests carrier-based J-11B prototype

Ted Parsons JDW Correspondent - Washington, DC

Photos of the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation airfield appear to show that China is now testing an early prototype of a carrier-based version of its J-11B fighter.

Revealed on the Chinese FYJS web page on 20 May, the photos appear to show a new J-11B version with distinctive 'canard' surfaces ahead of the wing and a shorter tail cone. Both are consistent with the Russian Sukhoi Su-33 carrier-based fighter, which Shenyang has reportedly been trying to copy for many years. This latest set of photos follows another that suggested the People's Liberation Army Naval Air Force (PLANAF) was also purchasing the land-based variant of the J-11B.

At the end of August 2009 several Chinese military issue web pages carried a story that the carrier version of the J-11B had started testing. More recent web reports suggest this may now include ski-ramp testing. However, the latest set of Chinese photos reveal little more than the existence of a prototype. It is not clear if the prototype has folding wings and, while one photo suggests it has an arrestor hook, that cannot be concluded definitively.

It is also not clear whether this prototype uses Russian Saturn AL-31 turbofans or the new Chinese-built Shenyang Liming WS-10A Taihang. The latter has experienced a turbulent development process, with one Chinese report from late 2009 stating that the first twin-seat J-11BS prototype crashed due to a Taihang engine shedding its blades.

Since 2005 when Russian sources began commenting to Jane's on their discussions with China over the possible revival of their Su-33 production line to meet Chinese requirements, they have repeatedly stressed their doubts that China could master the many airframe modifications necessary to turn the J-11/Su-27 into a safe carrier-based fighter.

They were also aware of but not impressed that China had obtained a T-10K or Su-33 prototype from Ukraine. At the August MAKS 2009 Moscow air show one source explained that China had to purchase about 40 modified Su-33s in order to justify the expense of reviving production. This source also suggested that China would probably buy Russian-made Su-33s as it also developed its own carrier-based J-11B. However, it is also possible that China would use the success of the J-11B carrier version to drive a harder bargain with Russia.

Potential Chinese aircraft demand could be a factor in Russia's favour. In early 2009 Chinese sources revealed in the Hong Kong press that Beijing was considering the construction of four to six aircraft carriers in addition to the former Soviet/Ukrainian aircraft carrier Varyag now being refitted in Dalian Harbour. China has new shipyards in Dalian and Shanghai that could build aircraft carriers; rapid construction could result in Su-33 orders from Russia.

I would like to ask of the 3 combat aircraft multitasking Su-30MKK2, J-11BH and the J-15 unit would be best for the Air Force of the Chinese Navy?

And why China maintains three aircraft for the navy?I know the United States has only 2 aircraft for the Navy, including F/A-18E/F and F-35C (expected), Russia similar to the Su-33 and Mig 29K, India 2 with Harrier and Mig 29K,French Super Etendard, Rafale-M (Mirage 3 version of the navy decommissioned).

SU-27 Air Force

SU-30MKK Air Force

SU-30MK2 Navy

J-11B Air Force

J-11BS Air Force/Navy

J-11BH Navy

J-15 Navy

As far as my knowledge of English goes naval variant is suppose to be spotted at sea

As far as my knowledge of English goes naval variant is suppose to be spotted at sea

Did you mean "on carriers"? J-11BH is for coastal naval air defence that belongs to Chinese naval air force.

I would like to ask of the 3 combat aircraft multitasking Su-30MKK2, J-11BH and the J-15 unit would be best for the Air Force of the Chinese Navy?

And why China maintains three aircraft for the navy?I know the United States has only 2 aircraft for the Navy, including F/A-18E/F and F-35C (expected), Russia similar to the Su-33 and Mig 29K, India 2 with Harrier and Mig 29K,French Super Etendard, Rafale-M (Mirage 3 version of the navy decommissioned).

They are just transit choices. By 2020, PLA would shift to:

Su-30MKK2 - J-16 - J-20X
J-11BH - J-20H + J-21H
J-15 - J-20 or J-21 carrier variant

Did you mean "on carriers"? J-11BH is for coastal naval air defence that belongs to Chinese naval air force.

It was sarcasm they say J-11 naval variant spotted at sea
Now where else would a naval variant be spotted at

Thus the difference between the J-11BH and J-11BS here is what? J-11BS two-seat version of the J-11B and J-11BH is also two-seat version of the J-11B?

I guess J-11BH capable anti-ship ? and J-11BS capable of ground attack?

Back
Top Bottom