What's new

China's Huawei offers to share source code

See how technologically advanced the Chinese Submarines are

China’s Noisy Nuclear Submarines

By Hans M. Kristensen

China’s new Jin-class ballistic missile submarine is noisier than the Russian Delta III-class submarines built more than 30 years ago, according to a report produced by the U.S. Navy’s Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI).

The report The People’s Liberation Army Navy: A Modern Navy With Chinese Characteristics, which was first posted on the FAS Secrecy News Blog and has since been removed from the ONI web site [but now back here; thanks Bruce], is to my knowledge the first official description made public of Chinese and Russian modern nuclear submarine noise levels.

Force Level

The report shows that China now has two Jin SSBNs, one of which is based at Hainan Island with the South Sea Fleet, along with two Type 093 Shang-class nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSN). The Jin was first described at Hainan in February 2008 and the two Shangs in September 2008. The second Jin SSBN is based at Jianggezhuang with the North Sea Fleet alongside the old Xia-class SSBN and four Han-class SSNs.
The report confirms the existence of the Type 095, a third-generation SSN intended to follow the Type 093 Shang-class. Five Type 095s are expected from around 2015. The Type-95 is estimated to be noisier than the Russian Akula I SSN built 20 years ago.

Missile Range

The ONI report states that the JL-2 sea-launched ballistic missile on the Jin SSBNs has a range of ~4,000 nautical miles (~7,400 km) “is capable of reaching the continental United States from Chinese littorals.” Not quite, unless Chinese littorals extend well into the Sea of Japan. Since the continental United States does not include Alaska and Hawaii, a warhead from a 7,400-km range JL-2 would fall into the sea about 800 km from Seattle. A JL-2 carrying penetration aids in addition to a warhead would presumably have a shorter range.
Alaska would be in range if the JL-2 is launched from the very northern parts of Chinese waters, but Hawaii is out of range unless the missile is launched from a position close to South Korea or Japan. The U.S. Defense Department’s 2009 report to Congress on the Military Power of the People’s Republic of China also shows the range of the JL-2 to be insufficient to target the Continental United States or Hawaii from Chinese waters. The JL-2 instead appears to be a regional weapon with potential mission against Russia and India and U.S. bases in Guam and Japan.

Patrol Levels

The report also states that Chinese submarine patrols have “more than tripled” over the past few years, when compared to the historical levels of the last two decades.
That sounds like a lot, but given that the entire Chinese submarine fleet in those two decades in average conducted fewer than three patrols per year combined, a trippling doesn’t amout to a whole lot for a submarine fleet of 63 submarines. According to data obtained from ONI under FOIA, the patrol number in 2008 was 12.
Since only the most capable of the Chinese attack submarines presumably conduct these patrols away from Chinese waters – and since China has yet to send one of its ballistic missile submarines on patrol – that could mean one or two patrols per year per submarine.

Implications

The ONI report concludes that the Jin SSBN with the JL-2 SLBM gives the PLA Navy its first credible second-strike nuclear capability. The authors must mean in principle, because in a war such noisy submarines would presumably be highly vulnerabe to U.S. or Japanese anti-submarine warfare forces. (The noise level of China’s most modern diesel-electric submarines is another matter; ONI says some are comparable to Russian diesel-electric submarines).

That does raise an interesting question about the Chinese SSBN program: if Chinese leaders are so concerned about the vulnerability of their nuclear deterrent, why base a significant portion of it on a few noisy platforms and send them out to sea where they can be sunk by U.S. attack submarines in a war? And if Chinese planners know that the sea-based deterrent is much more vulnerable than its land-based deterrent, why do they waste money on the SSBN program?

The answer is probably a combination of national prestige and scenarios involving India or Russia that have less capable anti-submarine forces.

Idiot, check before you post, its from a fanboy blog, its been discussed many many times and got debunked like hell, hiding the source only made you look like a fool.:azn:

no im pretty sure its a fanboy blog. how would he MEASURE the nuclear sub's noise levels? and even if they were measured, the USN doesn't publicize it. so how would he know?

the answer is, he doesn't know jack s*

Know anything about Hans M. Kristensen?

Please find his CV

http://www.nukestrat.com/HansCV.pdf

I don't give a damn what kind of resume he got, nobody will take your claim seriously from a blog, so if its so damn creditable, why you not show the "LINK" of the blog? in your post ? simply you know a blog is no source period. Try harder next time.

Better spend sometime time to open your mind by reading something thats worthy enough to gain some real knowledge.
An Undersea Deterrent? - U.S. Naval Institute

no im pretty sure its a fanboy blog. how would he MEASURE the nuclear sub's noise levels? and even if they were measured, the USN doesn't publicize it. so how would he know?

the answer is, he doesn't know jack s*

How would I know, how he could get access to a Chinese nuclear submarine for measuring its noise levels.

Anyway the information is not classified, so could be publicized

I don't give a damn what kind of resume he got, nobody will take your claim seriously from a blog, so if its so damn creditable, why you not show the "LINK" of the blog? in your post ? simply you know a blog is no source period. Try harder next time.

Better spend sometime time to open your mind by reading something thats worthy enough to gain some real knowledge.
An Undersea Deterrent? - U.S. Naval Institute

You don’t give a damn, but world gives a damn… and that matters

india cannot even produced quantity papers let alone quality papers.

nothing but lame excuses. china can say the same things to US but it wont change the reality that US is far ahead.

many indian female visitors to china got really surprised in china. if you know any of them pls ask their experiences.

1971? it's in middle of cultural revolution :rofl: this again proves your knowledge on china is next to zero. i know many indians include some of top ecnonmists like to use this 'early reform time' as excuse.

india defence is based largely on foreigners, it imports 70% military equipments while china mostly rely on herself. please tell me how many years will india need to reach to the stage that it reduces its military import to, say, 30%?

china doesn't force anybody to learn from her. but guess what? who will be the next economic powerhouse like singapore? it's vietnam, fyi, as matter of fact vietnam is copying almost everything china and it's doing huge successfully.

Here's something more interesting: Just as how ROK (pop'n just 46 million) is more wealthy, ancient, advanced and civilized than the FAKE "Ashoka" Regime (which was fabricated by 3 Englishmen) -- Vietnam is the 2nd fasting improving ASIAN nation. And it's sustainable track of improvement, soon Vietnam will join along with China, Japan & Korea as a fellow East Asian Giant.

Ponder that for a moment. Right at this moment Vietnam (pop'n 86 million) is among the most evolved among ASEAN, and already is about 1/2 India's economy. And what is even more important to the average poor person is it has a more even distribution of wealth, so the difference between rich & poor isn't as stark as in ..... *ahem*...... :smitten:

India better use Vietnam as a bench mark. Within just 20 years Vietnam's clout is is about to surpass India's. Not possible you say??? Look at ROK (46 million) which in 20 years spurt now surpasses India, and Vietnam's environment is far better than Korea's. :coffee:

south korea's economy was built on US aid.

i'm looking at vietnam to become the next center of low tier manufacturing. their technological base is extremely backwards but their labor is a great resource.

we should think:

vietnam is a country with no indigenous technology, a small population and no land.

yet its GDP is half that of india, a country with supposedly "mountains" of "indigenous technology", a huge population and huge land.

makes you think.

You don’t give a damn, but world gives a damn… and that matters

you're say us military planners takes their tips from a blogger who has no way of getting this information thus meaning he made this up from his mind? prehaps the previous statement should be modified, no one whos important to the world give a damn.

How would I know, how he could get access to a Chinese nuclear submarine for measuring its noise levels.

Anyway the information is not classified, so could be publicized

very simply put this guy has no way of getting the noise information, this info is top secret for every country who has n-subs, so unless he can show where the info came from he's as credible as me saying "these sub can fly in the air"

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

888posts

great luck applesauce =)

i actually got 500 dollars today too :)

Why don't you tell us more about these female visitors. Is this visit documented? Where did they visit? Was it a joint India - China cultularal visit?

Thanks in advance.

one example, Pallavi Aiyar's experience as being a female in China:

"Being a female reporter in China was a liberating experience. I felt free to travel and report in even relatively remote parts of the country without my gender being an issue. India is a far more difficult place for women in general. Even in big cities like New Delhi it’s hard for women to walk on the streets free of harassment or what Indian law rather quaintly calls “eve teasing.”

While I don’t think being female brought any particular advantages to reporting in China what struck me most was how it did not bring any disadvantages. I never felt patronized by male interviewees or sexually threatened in any way."

"But then I would return to Delhi for a few days and almost immediately long to be back in Beijing where a woman could ride a bus or even drive a bus without having to tune out the constant staring and whispering of the dozens of sex-starved youth that swarmed around the Indian capital’s streets at almost any given time."

The China Beat Smoke and Mirrors: China and India

Pallavi Aiyar is the author of the book, Smoke and Mirrors: An Experience of China

I also read somewhere that indian female cannot drink beer in public place? not sure if this is true or not. that's why I suggested you guys to ask around to get the first hand opinions from your female friends who visited China before. The best is to get on a flight to China, good or bad, see with your own eyes.

Last edited:
very simply put this guy has no way of getting the noise information, this info is top secret for every country who has n-subs, so unless he can show where the info came from he's as credible as me saying "these sub can fly in the air"

Have you ever heard of the term "military intelligence"? Sources of military intelligence are not classified, hence kept secret. The information is gathered by U.S. Navy’s Office of Naval Intelligence

Back
Top Bottom