What's new

China Trading Error Reduces Investor Confidence in Stocks

JayAtl

BANNED
Reaction score
The biggest swing in China’s benchmark equity index since 2009 threatens to further erode confidence in the nation’s stock market after it lost more money for investors than any in the world during the past four years.

China’s shares were roiled yesterday by a trading error at Everbright Securities Co. (601788) that spurred a 53 percent surge in volumes and a swing of more than 6 percent in the Shanghai Composite Index. The gauge jumped from a loss of as much as 1 percent to a gain of 5.6 percent in two minutes during the morning session, then ended the day with a 0.6 percent drop. Erroneous buy orders from Everbright’s proprietary trading group sparked the early rally, the securities regulator said.

The Chinese stock index has tumbled 40 percent from its August 2009 high, erasing about $644 billion in market value, as the world’s second-largest economy slowed and local investors emptied more than 2 million equity trading accounts. Only Greece’s ASE Index has fallen more in percentage terms.

“The timing was not good for trading errors in China,” Brian Jacobsen, who helps oversee $221.2 billion as chief portfolio strategist at Wells Fargo Advantage Funds in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, said by phone yesterday. “There are already a lot of skeptics out there and an event like that can erode some people’s confidence.”

The Shanghai Composite has lost 8.8 percent this year, versus a 9.8 percent gain in the MSCI All-Country World Index. Chinese stock accounts containing funds have dropped to 54.4 million from 57.3 million in June 2011, according to regulatory data compiled by Bloomberg. The Bloomberg China-US Equity Index of the most-traded Chinese stocks in the U.S. advanced 0.4 percent to 96.44 yesterday.
China Trading Error Reduces Investor Confidence in Stocks - Bloomberg

Happens in America too. Anyone remember the Flash Crash of 2:45?

On the other hand, China's market cap. and volume trade is really pathetically low.

Happens in America too. Anyone remember the Flash Crash of 2:45?

On the other hand, China's market cap. and volume trade is really pathetically low.
you need to understand a sustained under preforming stock market they have had for the longest vs. a moment in time flash crash. Don't tread on posts that you can't comprehend bro

you need to understand a sustained under preforming stock market they have had for the longest vs. a moment in time flash crash. Don't tread on posts that you can't comprehend bro

Can't wait till you get a long ban once again :D

????

You were referring to a trading error, not an under performance of their market.

Do you comprehend the difference? Or are you too stupid to understand what you're saying, "bro"? I was referring to trading errors having happened in the US, like in China.

You now pull up their under performance, as if I was somehow implying that their crappy performance was actually good. Learn how to speak English "bro".

????

You were referring to a trading error, not an under performance of their market.

Do you comprehend the difference? Or are you too stupid to understand what you're saying, "bro"? I was referring to trading errors having happened in the US, like in China.

You now pull up their under performance, as if I was somehow implying that their crappy performance was actually good. Learn how to speak English "bro".

I was referring to what was highlighted in the 1st paragraph of the article

The biggest swing in China’s benchmark equity index since 2009 threatens to further erode confidence in the nation’s stock market after it lost more money for investors than any in the world during the past four years.

Back
Top Bottom