What's new

China’s coziness with Bhutan rings security alarm for India

I think Bhutan should be have good relations with China, it will help in development of landlocked country.

If India can have relations with China , why can't Bhutan have relations.

India has considerable leverage over Bhutan's foreign policy & military, so there is nothing to be worried about the news since whatever decisions Bhutan has taken in extending friendship to China has somewhat tacit support of India, if India did not wanted it i m sure Bhutan could not have made diplomatic relations with China on the first place as Bhutan depends on India for everything from exports to imports to power generation to military support etc.

Bhutan is now trying diversify from relaying on india to much give it a few years and they will be like sri lanka.

I think Bhutan should be have good relations with China, it will help in development of landlocked country.

some indians fear bhutan will become another sri lanka.

Bhutan is now trying diversify from relaying on india to much give it a few years and they will be like sri lanka.

some indians fear bhutan will become another sri lanka.

u obviously don't know anything about Sri Lanka.. what people just brag about SriLanka on pdf is not the entire truth or more precisely far from truth. I don't have any inclination to go into details on this matter cause u won't understand.

u obviously don't know anything about Sri Lanka.. what people just brag about SriLanka on pdf is not the entire truth or more precisely far from truth. I don't have any inclination to go into details on this matter cause u won't understand.

your assumption is wrong India's meddling in sri lanka by supporting ltte and voting against sri lanka got 1000 indian soldiers killed your pm killed and a pro china sri lanka, don't be surprised if you see chinese naval base in lanka in the next 10 years.

Bhutan can have relations with any country, but bhutnese are very down to earth religious people do not want to get involve in any kind of such development and remain peaceful. Plus there is strong foothold of Dalai Lama, since it is a Buddhist country with a lot of tibetan population. Mao was active there but now thrown away.

Earlier people used to do farming, gardening and agriculture, but lime light has attracted the people to cities increasing the unemployment and the PM is against this development.

We should motivate Bhutan to be more agricultural country and do not make it a place of Indo China dispute like Switzerland remained neutral. It is a very peaceful nation

B Bhutan and India have relations past 30 years and we have not influenced them because there is nothing to influence as it is a Buddhist country. Only Mao was jumping here and there got kicked out.

Great.. Bhutan needs to form a strategic alliance with China and even give Chinese the over flight right over its territory. The next logical step should be to offer a base for Chinese Tank and Heavy armored divsion.

well Bhutan is a nation not chinese depot for ammunition. Please do not speak any crap like that. If you want you can offer your country in dowry to chinese feet.

Bhutan can have relations with china, as long as it doesn't become like what happened to sri lanka, pakistan etc.

Bhutan can have diplomatics relations with any country as they wish.
They are very nice people and they always try to stay away from dirty politics they are friendly to our country and even helped in countering ULFA in NE i realy thank them for that.
we can't say anything to them about who they should have relations with its there foreign policy their wish:azn:

China has the economic power or develop or provide loan to Bhutan for its development. If the ties grow stronger, China can formulate a treaty by which Bhutan won't allow its land, airspace to India, IF any war occurs.

China has the economic power or develop or provide loan to Bhutan for its development. If the ties grow stronger, China can formulate a treaty by which Bhutan won't allow its land, airspace to India, IF any war occurs.

you know $hitt about bhutan and India relations. though keeping eyes open is not bad. Plus according to you if we go, Pakistan would be the first one close its airspace, but AI still flies over it.

your assumption is wrong India's meddling in sri lanka by supporting ltte and voting against sri lanka got 1000 indian soldiers killed your pm killed and a pro china sri lanka, don't be surprised if you see chinese naval base in lanka in the next 10 years.
Seems that you are fooled by internet warriors . We sent our army to SL to fight against LTTE , we lost our Ex PM too ... we and LTTE are enemies, its indeed we who helped SL else SL would have been another Pakistan . SL wont dare to base Chinese military else you could see Tamil Eelam and Sinhala Land as 31st and 32st states of India .

if india is scared it could try the sikkim move.
sri lanka joins the indian union.
India can force them to join , Rajapaksa as Indian Central minister , handy bribes to all SL generals and raja life to their rulers ....

mate you r not being realistic, there are many things for which Bhutan remains dependent on India & China cannot fill the gap:

1. Bhutan shares border with India from 3 sides & with China only from 1 side (biggest factor as China may change everything but cannot change geography).
2. India accounts for 98% of exports & 90% of imports of Bhutan.
3. For air support, Bhutan is completely dependent on India i.e. IAF.
4. India provide Bhutan (a landlocked nation) access to sea & not China.
5. Bhutanese military persons are trained in India.
6. Bhutan accepts Indian Rupee & there is visa free travel between the two countries.
7. Many Bhutanese come to Indian NE states for work.

This & many other things make India the favored nation in relation with Bhutan, though Bhutan has right to establish relations with China, it cannot replace India with China.

you know $hitt about bhutan and India relations. though keeping eyes open is not bad.
In international politics there are no friends....China can become better ally than India over a period of time. These planning are not for few months but it extends to few decades.....Read more about impact of investment by one nation to another and its impact on the society ,social influence on population. etc....

I again want to emphasis on the fact that these political maneuvers are done with foreign policy for decades. Its results are not instantaneous but they might result in favourable outcome.

Secondly, the things few people have presented, China can provide same thing to Bhutan.

Tell me why Indians like Israelis, Russians, French, what's so special about them....

Simple answer: They provide us cutting edge defense technology and fulfill our demands.

In international politics there are no friends....China can become better ally than India over a period of time. These planning are not for few months but it extends to few decades.....Read more about impact of investment by one nation to another and its impact on the society ,social influence on population. etc....

Tell me why Indians like Israelis, Russians, French, what's so special about them....

Simple answer: They provide us cutting edge defense technology and fulfill our demands.

China tried to influence there through Mao and ISI and still trying but failed. And I do agree with you China may try different tactics, so keeping eyes and countering it is still an option.

Bhutan would not ask for those cutting edge technologies due to the system they follow. You have to do some more research but it's better not to discuss here.

China will only make Bhutan an another tibet.

LOL what a weak nation afraid of mighty Bhutan. No wonder you talked and talked about striking "terrorist camps in Pakistan" but backed off after Mumbai attacks.

After arming them to the teeth with nukes, India would be stupid to do so. I guess China must be pretty damn weak when Taiwan is free as a bird still after all these yrs.

India need to keep an eye on the developments on Bhutan and China relationship. But nothing of concern or panic.

Here are certain points to ponder.

1. China - Bhutan need to settle their border issues
2. Bhutan shares a cultural relationship for ages with people of Tibet and Bhutan would be concerned about the Chinese more than Indians.
3. India is a major trade partner and is dependent on Indian financial assistance and the major part of the trade is the Bhutan export of hydroelectric power to India.
4. Bhutan-India most recently signed 2007 friendship treaty - one of the clauses is Bhutan can import weapons from non-Indian sources but the weapons should not be a threat for India. This being the situation, if China wants to have even a listening post, Bhutan will not risk it.
5. Bhutan atmost would play neutral between China and India.
6. India-Bhutan does not have many sticking issues in their relationship.

Back
Top Bottom