What's new

China military power almost equal to USA in East Asia

HongWu

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
China
China Is Seen Nearing US's Military Power in Region

TOKYO — China’s growing industrial might is likely to allow it to mount an increasingly formidable challenge to the military supremacy of the United States in the waters around China that include Japan and Taiwan, though it will probably seek to avoid an outright armed conflict, according to a detailed new report by a group of American researchers.

The report by the nine researchers, published by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said the most likely outcome for the next two decades showed China narrowing the gap with the United States in military abilities, in areas including building aircraft carriers and stealth fighter jets. At the same time, the report, to be released Friday, said China’s economic interdependence with the United States and the rest of Asia would probably prevent it from becoming a full-blown, cold-war-style foe, or from using military force to try to drive the United States from the region.

One of the authors, Michael D. Swaine, an expert on Chinese defense policy, called the report one of the first attempts to predict the longer-term consequences of China’s rise for a region whose growing economic prosperity has been largely a result of the peace and stability brought by American military hegemony. He said one conclusion was that the appearance of a new rival meant that, for better or for worse, the current American-dominated status quo might not last much longer.

“We wanted to ask, how should the United States deal with this possibility?” said Mr. Swaine, an analyst at the Carnegie Endowment, based in Washington. “Can the United States continue with business as usual in the western Pacific, or must it start thinking of alternative ways to reassure the region about security?”

The other authors included scholars, former government officials and other Carnegie analysts.

The report, an advance copy of which was seen by The New York Times, said the consequences of the region’s shifting strategic balance might be felt most strongly by Japan, an Asian economic power that has long relied for its security on its alliance with the United States. The report found that in most projections, Japan would probably respond to China’s growing power by clinging more closely to the United States, as it has done recently during a heated argument with China over islands in the East China Sea that both countries claim. At the same time, despite the stance of its hawkish new prime minister, Shinzo Abe, Japan’s fiscal troubles and political paralysis will probably prevent it from significantly bolstering military spending, as some in Washington have hoped it will do to help offset China’s increasing capabilities, the report said.

In the most extreme instances, the report predicted, doubts about the ability or commitment of the United States to remain the region’s dominant military power could one day grow strong enough to drive Japan to more drastic measures, like either embracing China or building its own independent deterrent, including nuclear weapons.

For the whole region, the report found the most likely outcome to be what it called an “eroding balance” — essentially, a continuation of the current situation, in which American hegemony is slowly undermined by China’s increasing military abilities and growing willingness to assert its interests. The report said the biggest risk in this environment would be an accidental escalation of a limited dispute, like the current clash with Japan over the disputed islands.

At the same time, the report said that for the foreseeable future, China would not follow the former Soviet Union in becoming a global rival to the United States. Rather, it said, China would remain a regional power with a narrow strategic focus on territorial disputes with its immediate neighbors. Even so, the report warned, that would still make it a serious challenge to the United States, which has vowed to increase its military presence in Asia despite budget cuts.

“Can the United States maintain its primacy of the past 60 years?” asked Mr. Swaine. “The United States says so, but whether it actually can is not entirely clear.”

most likely outcome for the next two decades showed China narrowing the gap with the United States in military abilities

Before this thread turns ugly, let's keep the quoted part in perspective.

While many of us are impressed with China's progress (both economic and military), it's hard to see how China can match the decades of operational experience that US troops have in actual combat.

It is like China is facing a GOD in East Sea. USA is been developing lots of weapons and these include assymetric weapons like HAARP etc.

They can create natural disasters, block you internet, play with your power grid, Turn your people against CCP within months, what not??

And they have super stealth weapons which are not known to world.

Before this thread turns ugly, let's keep the quoted part in perspective.

While many of us are impressed with China's progress (both economic and military), it's hard to see how China can match the decades of operational experience that US troops have in actual combat.

Can you read the headline? In East Asia.

And what kind of opponents USA has fought after the WWII?

Wow, this is amazing, this has got to be the first time HongWu has actually admitted that China is weaker than the US in the region! :eek:

But, but, what happened to the talk about invading Guam, Hawaii? Japan?, the West Coast? :eek:

This report says in East Asia, which means, right next to China. US are always going to be at a disadvantage, so far away from US, you can have bases in the region, but the majority of your forces is still in the US.

So Near or equal or even surpass US within THIS decade is not as big a deal as it sounds, as all it says is China can deny access to US in the Seas and countries near China. China will have massive advantage just base on the fact we are already here.

The hard part is in a neutral spot. And eventually right into the heart of US, if that is even possible, with what the US can't even do that to China now, and I doubt China can advance so far beyond US in my life time for this to happen.

lol, chynis getting more money since a decade... crossed 100billion mark just few years... but US spending lots since decades.... doing research with tons of billion dolors on weapons..... When i joined in this forum i found most of guys(chynis) saying US is decades away from us.... last year they said we are 5 to 10 year behind the US.... now both USA and china are equal.... i am scared to think about next year and so on.... lol

1. the 2rd most powerful country (assisted by Soviet Weapons and Chinese overall logistics)that the US has fought war against since post ww2 was... oke, let's say that it had to resort to Agent Orange to barely break even.

2. the US "combat experiences" :lol: if 1,000s of naval commandos against some banana republics around Amazons or 10s of 1,000s troopers against Talibans either in moutainous areas or deserts can be classified as "combat experiences", then I doubt that they serve that much when against a decent mid sized land-based power say Iran, let alone a France-like great power. Let me make this clearer : Any large scale land battles/war against PLA inside or nearby China is basically a suicidal mission for any army, the US included, no matter how much "combat experiences" they had with the Middle Easteners.

3. Within 1,000km cricle from its border, China today is not the peer power of the US , because China is the leading power within this sphere :lol:, except

i) in the Green Water within the first island Chain or in SCS, China is almost the peer-power of the US, and

ii) theoritically ignoring Russia factor.

4. Within 2 to 3 decades China could be a peer power of the US btw 1st and 3rd island (Hawaii?) chains. We are basically looking at the Blue Water power where

i) PLAN's surface destroyers more or less reach the level of the US pacific fleet in both quality and almost quantity,

ii) PLAN's 4 to 5 CVs with fixed wing AWACS and J-20/J-31 equivalents Vs. Ford & Nimitz classes with F/35B, and

iii) without losing air superiority or with J-20 being able to hold it own, PLAN's much improved subs could reseanablely, more or less, face Seawolf and Ohio.

Hence I'd imagine China would have a roughly 50/50 chance there and then.

How does it matter if the comparison is only about East Asia - what happens when we compare China and US in the North Atlantic or the Pacific or for tha t matter any other Seas?

This report says in East Asia, which means, right next to China. US are always going to be at a disadvantage, so far away from US, you can have bases in the region, but the majority of your forces is still in the US.

So Near or equal or even surpass US within THIS decade is not as big a deal as it sounds, as all it says is China can deny access to US in the Seas and countries near China. China will have massive advantage just base on the fact we are already here.

The hard part is in a neutral spot. And eventually right into the heart of US, if that is even possible, with what the US can't even do that to China now, and I doubt China can advance so far beyond US in my life time for this to happen.

Haha wow, trying to recover are we :azn:

Man that Freudian Slip from HongWu :D

Against the only major country the US fought after WW2, the Yankees got the worst humiliation of their existence. They know against who and where.

Totally right! "The biggest withdrawal in the American History"

lol, chynis getting more money since a decade... crossed 100billion mark just few years... but US spending lots since decades.... doing research with tons of billion dolors on weapons..... When i joined in this forum i found most of guys(chynis) saying US is decades away from us.... last year they said we are 5 to 10 year behind the US.... now both USA and china are equal.... i am scared to think about next year and so on.... lol

hahaha....

There is just one factor which needs to be ironed out.

The Americans DO have a huge defense budget, NO FUC**** DOUBT, but lets not forget something here. Each American solder is paid 3 times the amount of EACH PLA Soldier, each aircraft cost twice the amount of what Chinese can come up with, each AC and ships cost and the maintenance is about two or three folds that of the PLAN. Now can we all agree as to why the manufacturing sector is overwhelmed all over China?

Back
Top Bottom