What's new

China is already a Superpower

In China, the word superpower has a lot of negative connotations from the Cold War period.

Why should we care about what happens in Nicaragua or Timbuktu? China's priority is to develop ourselves, not to spread power across the world like "America" does, spending hundreds of billions of dollars a year just to be the "global policeman".

Loll unfortunately this is not how things work dude. With power comes responsibility and biggest responsibility is to save your nation before anyone else.

Development of China will yet take a long time, but once done, I think China just like America will indulge in other's wars and provide support to allies.

Loll unfortunately this is not how things work dude. With power comes responsibility and biggest responsibility is to save your nation before anyone else.

Development of China will yet take a long time, but once done, I think China just like America will indulge in other's wars and provide support to allies.

China becoming a superpower, is something that "might" happen in 20-30 years or more. Which sounds pretty pointless to me.

When talking about such a long period of time into the future, anything could happen. It could just as easily happen the opposite way around.

In 20-30 years I could win the lottery, take a trip into space, become the Chief Executive of Hong Kong, become the Party Chief of Guangdong Province (or even get a position in the Politburo Standing Committee in Beijing).... LOL anything could happen.

China will supass USA economically, the responsibility will fall in our hand whether we like it or not. Prehaps we can chicken out like the Ming Emperor did with Zheng he

The US is not realizing it and refuses to accept a de facto.

They could be smarter than what they are doing today. Any downing empire in history repeat the same mistake, just the old route.

China is a superpower means more to the US than to the world.

I do not find any Facebook pages about China will be a superpower. But search for India and superpower and it might crash the system because of too much entries

Funny here, a Chinese OP posts something about China becoming superpower and all other chinese posters are obsessed with bringing India in thread.

@topic: I think China is already a superpower and showing aggression only showed by superpowers like in east vietnam sea.

China is a superpower, not a single country can ignore China in international matter not even US. Ya, Well done China.

Can China fight an expeditionary war like the United States did in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq II?

Until China reaches that capacity to fight a full scale war overseas, it is not a super-power.

China wont become a superpower until the turn of the century. Few reasons:

1. Social inequality: China has huge social inequality, urban poverty etc Even central China has lots of poverty. Despite the spectacular job done by the Chinese govt, in reducing poverty from 85% in 1980 to 16% in 2005, and despite all the infrastructure build up, China still has only a "medium" level rating on the Human Development Index scale. Whereas the United States has a "very high" rating. China is only a tad above India in this respect.

2. Political environment: Today in order to become a superpower, you need clout. China does not have this clout that the United States enjoys. Part of the reason is its own political system , which is a hindrance.

3.Military Strength: I dont even need to speak about it. China is a green water navy. While the United States is a complete blue water navy with Supercarriers, and building hypercarriers as we speak. China has just bought its 2nd hand Carrier from Russia. The Chinese air force has almost a 1000 outdated planes out of their fleet strength of about 2000, which is almost 50%. So China on a technological level is quite behind the United States, by almost 20 or 30 years.

So China will be close behind the United States in terms of "superpower" status, but wont challenge it directly, even if it becomes the largest economy in the world by 2050.

I have a message for the Chinese here! Superpower or not.

Vietnam-123027_copy1.jpg

I am one of the few Indians who don't want India to be a superpower. Being a superpower is a curse as far as I can tell - whether it the UK during its Britannia days, the erstwhile USSR or USA today - generally superpowers are more hated than liked around the world. I would rather see India offer its citizens food, clothing, shelter, sanitation and a decent standard of living. Many Americans today living on food stamps with no jobs would rather not have their country spend money on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and would prefer to have jobs and food. If China wishes to be a superpower - that is their choice. I really doubt it is of any use.

Superpowers are like the Red giants, they live short and glamorous lives, and often go out in a supernova of wars, economic turmoil, and social upheaval.

Many people are looking to the Chinese as a new USSR to take on Nato, Japan and Korea.

Big (fat) not mean a superpower.
By IMF, China's GDP per capita is same-a bit lower than Ecuador's, Maldives', East Timor's

Back
Top Bottom