What's new

China has massive traffic jam

Is there a particular reason for causing this kind of traffic jams?

Probably too many cars too little road. One problem piling on to another etc etc. Imagine getting 1000 lorries to back up so they can bring in a tow truck.

They think at the traffic jam may last a month!

What I mean is hasn't there been anything like this before? It's not like you have 2hr traffic jams everyday and then suddenly a nine day one. More rails and public transport! Higher road tolls!

Well at least they are maintaining an order not like Indian traffic. I sometimes wonder why can't we enforce strict traffic rules in India? Also I see no motorcycles on those roads, may be that's what it takes to achieve that.

There is always order after the 20m radius of a jam. Why? because nobody has the room to manouvre his vehicle. I'm sure within the 20m radius, the scene in every jam around the world is the same as an indian traffic jam.

P.S. I love jam! Pineapple one! :)

Highway jam enters its 9th day, spans 100km - People's Daily Online

1747751950932454889.jpg

Trucks bound for Beijing stand virtually still on the Beijing-Tibet Expressway, formerly known as the Badaling Expressway, in this August 19 photo: Photo: Xinhua

Traffic authorities were still struggling to cope with days-long congestion on a major national expressway, nine days after traffic slowed to a snail's pace, and nearby residents are profiting on the latest traffic snarl by overcharging drivers for food.

Since August 14, thousands of Beijing-bound trucks have jammed the expressway again, and traffic has stretched for more than 100 kilometers between Beijing and Huai'an in Heibei Province, and Jining in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China National Radio (CNR) reported Sunday.

Small traffic accidents or broken-down cars are aggravating the jam, the report said.

"Insufficient traffic capacity on the National Expressway 110 caused by maintenance construction since August 19 is the major cause of the congestion," a publicity officer with the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau, told the Global Times on condition of anonymity Sunday.

Under current traffic regulations, the National Expressway 110 (G110), heading northwest from Beijing to Zhangjiakou in Hebei Province, and then heading directly west, is available to trucks with a carrying capacity of eight tons and above. The road suffered serious damage due to the greater volume of heavy trucks.

This month there have been more trucks carrying excessive coal or fruit, but the Beijing section of the Beijing-Tibet Expressway is available only to trucks with a weight of less than four tons.

The congestion is expected to last for almost a month, since the construction is due for completion September 13.

Traffic congestion and road safety have become major concerns for Chinesemotorists.

For drivers, suffering the congestion on the Beijing-Tibet Expressway is nothing new. In a similar scene this July, traffic was also reduced to a crawl for nearly one month.

Some killed time by playing cards, while some could only wait idly by.

In the latest bout of congestion on the Huai'an section, a truck driver surnamed Huang, told the Global Times that he suffered "double blows."

"Instant noodles are sold at four times the original price while I wait in the congestion," he said.

"Not only the congestion annoys me, but also those venders," he joked, calling for help with their lives on the road.

Wang, driving from Hohhot to Tianjin in a coal truck, had been on the Huai'an section for three days and two nights.

"We are advised to take detours, but I would rather stay here since I will travel more distance and increase my costs," Wang said.

"The number of roads from northwest China to Beijing are limited," he complained, asking "Why should I pay the toll fee?"

The Beijing-Tibet Expressway and the G110 are two of the major routes leading to Beijing.

Some people joke about the enduring congestion on the Beijing-Tibet Expressway, saying "concerts should be held at each congested area every weekend, to alleviate drivers' homesickness."

"We've already sent traffic policemen to work on the traffic congestion," the unnamed official at the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau told the Global Times, adding that traffic police would stay to guide the traffic 24 hours a day until the problem is solved."

About 400 traffic police officers have been on duty to maintain order and to prevent further accidents.

Some critics attribute the worsening congestion to poor road planning and unsuccessful regulations.

"If there's no traffic jam in the city, that would be news," said Niu Fengrui, director of the Institute for Urban and Environmental Studies at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

"Our government should pick up the pace of urban infrastructure construction and spend some of its budget," he said.Source: Global Times (By Guo Qiang and Fang Yunyu )

THIS IS WHAT I FEAR WILL BE THE NORM IN INDIA UNLESS SOME DRASTIC STEPS ARE TAKEN CONSIDERING THE RATE AT WHICH PPL ARE BUYING CARS AND THE GOVT. IS BUILDING ROADS

well, its Credit card and new and easy car financing policy. Capitalism is start running in chinese blood.

Latest report from Bloomberg.com

Road Repair + Thousands of Trucks = Heavy Traffic Jam > 9 days

China Demand for Power-Station Coal Spurs 9-Day Traffic Jam on Expressway
By Bloomberg News - Aug 24, 2010 2:22 PM GMT+0800

Chinese demand for coal to produce electricity for the world’s fastest-growing major economy is creating traffic jams lasting as long as nine days on roads connecting mines in the nation’s hinterland to its eastern ports.
Thousands of trucks were stuck along the Beijing-Tibet Expressway for as many as nine days, China Business News reported today. The blockage, which began to ease yesterday, was created by a surge in trucks carrying coal from the province of Inner Mongolia, the newspaper reported. Road maintenance since Aug. 19 has been a major cause of the congestion, the Global Times newspaper said today.
Inner Mongolia passed Shanxi province last year to become China’s biggest coal supplier after the government closed mines on safety concerns following a series of deadly accidents in Shanxi. A dearth of railway capacity connecting Inner Mongolia to port cities such as Caofeidian, Qinhuangdao and Tianjin, where coal is shipped to power plants in southern China, has forced suppliers to rely on trucks.

More sustainable/alternative energy development.
Faster work on fusion reactors.

On the short term the government could probably raise the price of Driver's Licenses. It is already pretty ridiculous in Shanghai.

We need flying cars. China go ahead. In the current market scenerio only chinese can think about it. Let the Indians design and chinese manufacture......... and give me for free.

:rofl: Take your typical quiet Mumbai street
MumbaiTraffic.jpg

Now imagine the chaos if it was airborne :lol:

This is why despite Western stereotypes, Asians tend to be excellent drivers if they live in their home countries.

:rofl: Take your typical quiet Mumbai street
MumbaiTraffic.jpg

Now imagine the chaos if it was airborne :lol:

thats why i said we need flying cars. Jams are fine they are not a big problem as the no 1 position goes to the infrastructure in the sub urban and the rural areas for road. Damn if u can drive there you can drive anywhere.

thats why i said we need flying cars. Jams are fine they are not a big problem as the no 1 position goes to the infrastructure in the sub urban and the rural areas for road. Damn if u can drive there you can drive anywhere.

Ok I am going to be a bit of a kill sport and list some serious reasons why flying cars aren't here yet:

#1) A flying car is much like a plane. If your car malfunctions you can just pull to the side of the road (hopefully your car won't flip over). If your flying car malfunctions, however, prepare for some painful crashing. Stringent safety precautions (ejection seats?) would need to be mandatory on all flying cars.

#2) It is bad enough to deal with bad traffic on a two-d plane. Imagine how terrible the traffic would be if you had cars all around you! Planes don't ordinarily crash into one another in the air because they have ample space to manuever. Flying cars, on the otherhand... One bad driver could cause chained crashes on ordinary roads and just think how much damage a reckless driver could cause in the air!

#3) Potential privacy violations? Once every horny teenage kid has a flying car you'd probably want to make sure that you've got good window drapes. Military bases around the world are probably gonna receive a lot more harrasment now that the conspiracy buffs could watch them with binoculars from the safe height of 20,000 feet.

Ok I am going to be a bit of a kill sport and list some serious reasons why flying cars aren't here yet:

#1) A flying car is much like a plane. If your car malfunctions you can just pull to the side of the road (hopefully your car won't flip over). If your flying car malfunctions, however, prepare for some painful crashing. Stringent safety precautions (ejection seats?) would need to be mandatory on all flying cars.

Yaa i have no reply for this thing. may be we can have a backup system capable enough in case of car crash which moves the car to a desired position with traffic control stations which may dispatch units.

#2) It is bad enough to deal with bad traffic on a two-d plane. Imagine how terrible the traffic would be if you had cars all around you! Planes don't ordinarily crash into one another in the air because they have ample space to manuever. Flying cars, on the otherhand... One bad driver could cause chained crashes on ordinary roads and just think how much damage a reckless driver could cause in the air!
I think this can be managed like having speed zones vertically as we have on highways. Aerial stations can work as the traffic signals where one can go up or down a level. Of course it will complicate but i dont think complicacy would be a problem as it is also not now but the immense amount of vehicles.
#3) Potential privacy violations? Once every horny teenage kid has a flying car you'd probably want to make sure that you've got good window drapes. Military bases around the world are probably gonna receive a lot more harrasment now that the conspiracy buffs could watch them with binoculars from the safe height of 20,000 feet.

haha that depends on dressing also mate. As far as the military installations are concerned they can proofed any time. there can be a no fly zone near them to a safe distance. still those capable spies can hire a private plane and take a ride and get the pics.

Back
Top Bottom