What's new

CHINA- emerging Superpower

I am a native speaker of standard mandarin and i also speak cantonese.

I think "a sam/A3" orginates from Shanghainese not Mandarin. Using "A" as a prefix to address people is not common among native mandarin speakers.
Shanghai people use this derogatory name to address the Indian working in UK-leased segment of Shanghai (typically securites, doormen, low class employees etc.) before 1949. thanks to internet, it becomes popular all over china in recent years.

If you know another slur in Shanghainese "bie san/瘪三" , it would be much easier for you to understand the word "a san". "bie san" basically means "unimportant person/loser". whereas "ar san" is exclusive to indian.

i think "ah chai" is more commonly used in HK cantonese, but not very popular in mainland. "ah chai" is fine, there is a more derogatory name for indian in HK cantonese "muo luo cha"

I suspect that percentage is somewhat lower on a defence forum.

It will only get lower,with advent of members like LOLLOL,:D

Just when image of Chinese ppl was getting better with members like:CardSharp,mike005,Chinese-Dragon,oceanx etc. :tup:

Oh yeah! Members arrimual,faithfulguy,below_freezing were also fine even though they troll and are sarcastic and arrogant at times,but on the whole fine.:cool:

I am a native speaker of standard mandarin and i also speak cantonese.

I think "a sam/A3" orginates from Shanghainese not Mandarin. Using "A" as a prefix to address people is not common among native mandarin speakers.
Shanghai people use this derogatory name to address the Indian working in UK-leased segment of Shanghai (typically securites, doormen, low class employees etc.) before 1949. thanks to internet, it becomes popular all over china in recent years.

If you know another slur in Shanghainese "bie san/瘪三" , it would be much easier for you to understand the word "a san". "bie san" basically means "unimportant person/loser". whereas "ar san" is exclusive to indian.

i think "ah chai" is more commonly used in HK cantonese, but not very popular in mainland. "ah chai" is fine, there is a more derogatory name for indian in HK cantonese "muo luo cha"

hmmmm............interesting,here in India since the contact with Chinese is limited,we address Chinese as Chini(i.e people of China).
I think the racist slur "Ch*nk" is loaned from British. :coffee:

hmmmm............interesting,here in India since the contact with Chinese is limited,we address Chinese as Chini(i.e people of China).
I think the racist slur "Ch*nk" is loaned from British. :coffee:

Actually there is a more accurate explanation from Chinese wiki page about "A san". It was not a bigotry term originally. In that page it listed couple reasons where the terms were from originally.

1.It was called "Red head a san" because in early 20th century british employed many Indians(mostly Sikhs) as police in its concession in Shanghai. Red referred to the red turban they usually wear. Their authority were ranked after white police and Chinese police. That was why they were called "A San"(san means number 3).

2.Because those Indian in Shanghai usually began their sentences with "sir", it sounds the same with "san" in Shanghaiese.

3.Also because because often start a sentence with "I say". That was how it started.

Actually there is a more accurate explanation from Chinese wiki page about "A san". It was not a bigotry term originally. In that page it listed couple reasons where the terms were from originally.

1.It was called "Red head a san" because in early 20th century british employed many Indians(mostly Sikhs) as police in its concession in Shanghai. Red referred to the red turban they usually wear. Their authority were ranked after white police and Chinese police. That was why they were called "A San"(san means number 3).

2.Because those Indian in Shanghai usually began their sentences with "sir", it sounds the same with "san" in Shanghaiese.

3.Also because because often start a sentence with "I say". That was how it started.

Thanks a lot :tup:

I think from judging the last posts we have well deviated from the topic :D

@ontopic:
Silly having a topic on something that is a well established fact.:china:

It will only get lower,with advent of members like LOLLOL,:D

Just when image of Chinese ppl was getting better with members like:CardSharp,mike005,Chinese-Dragon,oceanx etc. :tup:

Oh yeah! Members arrimual,faithfulguy,below_freezing were also fine even though they troll and are sarcastic and arrogant at times,but on the whole fine.:cool:

i try to be objective most of the time but sometimes i get angry at a few indian trolls.

Why was there a need for Emerging, it already is a superpower, I got no doubts... Neither will anyone who has visited China.....Beautiful Country and Equally Beautiful People

calling Indians slumdog eh? U forgot to tell us about the 93000 mass incidents that happen in China every single year that get washed under the carpet thanks to your media control and lack of democracy.

Indians are slowly but surely getting there. U Chinese better hope not to collapse under the weight of your own oppression. That goes for your allies too (Pakistan). Last I checked, every international news about Pakistan reeks of the same issue - suicide bombings, Taliban, militants, more suicide bombings.

BTW, I'm not even Indian, I'm of Indian descent, having been established in Singapore for more than 70 years. Today we have people from all 3 countries, India, Pakistan and China living and working over here. Indians are usually welcome over here thanks to their contribution to the IT industry and Science and their generally peaceful attitude. Chinese - well, please go check forums relating to Singapore and you will know for yourself how much we resist and detest the Chinese presence over here thanks to their rudeness and their lack of civility. Pakistanis - well, we don't trust you guys one bit. I have been for interviews in the airline industry where Pakistanis were openly rejected simply because they were Pakistanis while the Indians who applied for the same post were hired. (Not meaning to say every Pakistani is bad, but the only bunch of those we see tend to wear skull caps and huge beards and given the amount of militancy in your country, sorry, u guys are not welcome in many parts of the world)

So yeah, between these three nations, India seems to be the most reliable. Poverty is there, no denying it, corruption is there, no denying it either, but they have a sound democracy and a generally peaceful attitude, which is something this world needs. Not the kind of oppression u guys have in China (Tianamen Square? The uprisings in Guangdong) nor the kind of problems plaguing Pakistan till today.

calling Indians slumdog eh? U forgot to tell us about the 93000 mass incidents that happen in China every single year that get washed under the carpet thanks to your media control and lack of democracy.

Indians are slowly but surely getting there. U Chinese better hope not to collapse under the weight of your own oppression. That goes for your allies too (Pakistan). Last I checked, every international news about Pakistan reeks of the same issue - suicide bombings, Taliban, militants, more suicide bombings.

BTW, I'm not even Indian, I'm of Indian descent, having been established in Singapore for more than 70 years. Today we have people from all 3 countries, India, Pakistan and China living and working over here. Indians are usually welcome over here thanks to their contribution to the IT industry and Science and their generally peaceful attitude. Chinese - well, please go check forums relating to Singapore and you will know for yourself how much we resist and detest the Chinese presence over here thanks to their rudeness and their lack of civility. Pakistanis - well, we don't trust you guys one bit. I have been for interviews in the airline industry where Pakistanis were openly rejected simply because they were Pakistanis while the Indians who applied for the same post were hired. (Not meaning to say every Pakistani is bad, but the only bunch of those we see tend to wear skull caps and huge beards and given the amount of militancy in your country, sorry, u guys are not welcome in many parts of the world)

So yeah, between these three nations, India seems to be the most reliable. Poverty is there, no denying it, corruption is there, no denying it either, but they have a sound democracy and a generally peaceful attitude, which is something this world needs. Not the kind of oppression u guys have in China (Tianamen Square? The uprisings in Guangdong) nor the kind of problems plaguing Pakistan till today.

:D funny :D

China is a nation in my own eyes is not a nation (like America) that we will ever see before. China will bring true globalisation and understanding to this world and leave this world with two races after 50 or 100 years. The good old hard working educational race and the welfare race. China wants to see a world not as is today like my fellow Chinese wish to believe but a race to see the future, to see space to see the other planets and erase doubts of the universe. One nation must show the world that the world is more than so...America failed to do so in the last 30-40years shall we wait for Russia to do something? Or shall we watch China work harder and harder to show the mysteries of the universe? We are all one breed and one kind, we must all believe in technological advances or we will be left in the dark ages. I ask the people to follow the chosen candidates to show their promise to uphold the development of human kind or we will be burned by ourselves.

Hi All,

Yes, its clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The US is sliding towards India and away from Pakistan. They understand that Only India can be trusted and being worth of their trust.

Strategiaclly, India is emerging as a biggest competetor to China, in tern of GDP or Military or Technology. Its fact that China is more sophesticated, but the rate of growth of India is immense than that of China. Its obvious that US doesn't want China to grow so do EU, Japan South Korea & Taiwan.

China is of course the most dangerous country!!!!!!!!! They are often communist and not open to the world. They are helping to Pakistan only to keep an eye on India.

Factually, China cannot take over the US. The US is the best in terms of technology, Strategy and most of all they have guts to do what they say.

When it comes to polarising new powers, China can have supporters i.e Pak, Iran, N Korea.

On the other side US has India, EU, Japan, taiwan and S Korea.

If Chinease are trying to overide either India or US it could initiate another world war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all its all dominating each other!!!!!!!!!!!

If the US want to be the pioneer then ther is only one way.......

Stopping chinese from becoming super power, Afterall they have lot of ways to do it and already doing it.

When it comes to Pakistan, its like a sandwich and there is no benifit or future from such a friendship from china.

They are going to be like Italy in World War II.

the sb of india is so self-conceit, actually italy is much better than india...

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

look, u said the Afghanistan, if she cant rebuilt his nation she have no future like Iraq.
as the same time, china india can not keep on their developing they also have no future.(so many serious problem than the war or which nation is more useful.)
1.the Tremendous population pressure:
so many ppl need food, job, house and so on.
2. the Environmental pollution:
no one can live in the moon(joke:))
3.the Domestic stability:
it is the most important, look the west nations do what:
they let a National unity separate into severl small nations in order to let they fight before Annexate them.( india and pakistan also is a nationla unity not long before).

PS: my poor eng. i just use some translation software.

i have to say:u are niubility....

He he. An ethnic Indian praising India. :disagree::blah:

SINGAPORE: A top Singaporean diplomat described India as "stupid", saying the country was "half in, half out" of the ASEAN grouping, according to leaked US cables.
:rofl::sarcastic:

Thankfully you are a 100% purebred Singaporean, so you do not need to associate yourselves with Indians. The Indian elite move overseas because there's no opportunity for them in India except being part of the bribe taking class and the Indian poor are barred from moving away, except to Dubai to be slaves in the desert for Arab masters.

The Chinese poor can leave China and go to civilized places, but no civilized place will ever take Indians, so they have to work as slaves in the desert for Gulf Arabs.

india has 'sound democracy'? lol, even dogs know better of what is called reality

Thankfully you are a 100% purebred Singaporean, so you do not need to associate yourselves with Indians. The Indian elite move overseas because there's no opportunity for them in India except being part of the bribe taking class and the Indian poor are barred from moving away, except to Dubai to be slaves in the desert for Arab masters.

The Chinese poor can leave China and go to civilized places, but no civilized place will ever take Indians, so they have to work as slaves in the desert for Gulf Arabs.

This guy a "purebred singaporean"?! I really doubt his claim. No local bred singaporean with sane mind will choose india over their homes except for those (immigrants) who opt to come and take a free ride here.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom